In-game information

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
NKW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

In-game information

Unread postby NKW » 27 May 2006, 15:23

Until now i've really been enjoying the game. Great graphics, music and gameplay. But there is one thing on which i really think Nival should improve a lot: information. Spells, creature abilities, skills, artifacts, etc. they're all documented very marginally. Most of them either have a very crude explanation or no explanation at all. Sure most of the information can be found on websites, but it's kind of annoying to alt-tab every time you want to know what an ability exactly does. So here are some things i really like to see added:

-Spell descriptions need to be more quantitative (i.e. how much is the increase in initiative of basic haste? 20%) and possibly need to include their effects on different skill levels as well (for example it would be nice to know that wasp swarm has an initiative lowering affect at higher level of expertise).

-Creature abilities should be documented (how much is the increase in damage enrage provides? what is the chance to miss an incorporeal creature?).

-Morale modifiers were always well documented in previous heroes games, these should be viewable.

-Most skills need a better, more quantitative description (what are the odds of having a spell reflected by magic mirror?) and possibly also the abilities they unlock, this would choosing your skills and abilities in order to obtain the ultimate ability easier.

-Scenario objectives need to be more clear (the 4th Haven map has rescuing Isabel within a week as objective, this is not readily seen from the scenario objectives screen) and if there are additional win/loss conditions these need to be added as well (3 months into the Maahir's Gambit scenario a message appeared saying that without a couple of artifacts there is no hope of beating a powerful necromancer and Maahir abandons his quest, losing the scenario (strangely enough i had already beaten the necromancer, but hadn't found any of the required artifacts). Had i known there was a time limit to finding the artifacts, there would be more of an incentive to actually go and find them and the scenario wouldn't have ended in frustration.

In all there's a lot of gameplay experience to be gained, in adding simple tooltips and information screens, an easy one day job.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 15:30

Lets not forget the missing artifact descriptions.Also there should be information what affects your current creature growth in the current town(now you only see whats the growth,but not what affects it).

NKW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NKW » 27 May 2006, 15:36

Indeed, missed those, also the buildings could do with a little more explanation (Dungeon's sacrificial pit comes to mind).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 May 2006, 16:00

I'm sure they're working their butts off to make a good patch.

Now, if it turns out that the patch they release is excellent and takes care of most of the issues we have complained about, I am personally going to spank the first person complaining very hard in a very unpleasant place.

If it turns out the patch is rubbish, you may complain all you want. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 16:03

The game was postponed because of loads of bugs it had,and those shouldve been corrected during the extra month we waited,right?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 May 2006, 16:08

One question: How's the game's playability?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 16:10

Its average,IMO.It was average in beta as well.

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 27 May 2006, 16:48

totally agree with first post. it is really obvious that the game could have used an extra month or two to be refined. information is hard to find and the way info is given to us is not not very gamer-friendly.

btw, didnt beta testers say anything about the lack of in-game info and incompleteness of tooltips? if they complained, why didnt devs listen and polish up the game more?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 16:54

I think they did.But if they didnt,thats probably because of all the bugs and imbalances they had to report.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 May 2006, 17:16

Minmaster wrote: btw, didnt beta testers say anything about the lack of in-game info and incompleteness of tooltips?
Guess there were alot worse things that needed fixing that the beta testers were more concerned about.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 May 2006, 18:29

Fact is the game runs quite nicely gameplay-wise. Reviewers agree on that too. From complaints spread across this board and the official forum, it would seem most of the game's shortcomings are minor ones. Sure, there are things that could and should be improved, but that's the process. Every game has those things nowadays and we shouldn't expect Ubi's game not to have any.

The perfect game does not exist. So let's focus on those little things and see if we can help the designers make those little adjustments, shall we?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 18:33

When you excidentally leave one artifact without a description,or make some 5 or so typos,thats a minor problem.But when almost ten artifacts have absolutely no description,when the game is flooded with typos and bugs,thats not a minor problem :disagree:

Oh,and a perfect game does exist,its called life :devil:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 May 2006, 18:43

Well I beg to differ; I think it is a minor problem. After all, we're talking about little things here. It's not like the game is unplayable. It's not like the memory leaks like in H4. It's not like the multiplayer is missing (though it still needs improvement) like in H4. It's not like the game will need 4 patches, like H4. It's not like Ubi won't try to fix these problems before releasing an expansion, like CM4. What I'm saying is there's definitely room for improvements, yes, but despite its flaws, the game works and it works well.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 27 May 2006, 18:52

DaemianLucifer wrote: Oh,and a perfect game does exist,its called life :devil:
Only if you could save and load :D

From what I see in the release version which I started to play yesterday, memory leak problem is not as serious as it was in the Demo. Game plays smoother and lighter. I'm really enjoying the 3D, but 2D images are still stretched-to-fit. Anyway, a good patch that would take care of most of the bugs and improve some things here and there is awaited. *fingers crossed*
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 19:03

Kalah wrote:Well I beg to differ; I think it is a minor problem. After all, we're talking about little things here. It's not like the game is unplayable. It's not like the memory leaks like in H4. It's not like the multiplayer is missing (though it still needs improvement) like in H4. It's not like the game will need 4 patches, like H4. It's not like Ubi won't try to fix these problems before releasing an expansion, like CM4. What I'm saying is there's definitely room for improvements, yes, but despite its flaws, the game works and it works well.
About the last two:You dont know how many patches it will need and you dont know what ubis going to do.And sure,it does run well,but MOO3 ran perfectly,yet it was a failure(to complex).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 May 2006, 19:10

Don't get me started on MoO3. That failed because it was a crappy game. Not because the game was flawed - it was just bad. Please don't compare that to H5.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 May 2006, 19:13

I concur with the main point of this thread - the game badly needs detailed in-game documentation. Whenever I'm playing, I stumble upon a creature ability or an artifact that I don't quite understand.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 27 May 2006, 22:32

Sure these are not huge gamebreaking things, but the game has way too many of these nuisances.

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 28 May 2006, 06:56

But...but...if you include all the details, who would buy the strategies guides? :-D

Thinning documentation seems to be a trend everywhere. Take for example, Obilvion. A 10-pages booklet for a role-playing game (At least for the Xbox360 verison) What a shame!

mrmud
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mrmud » 28 May 2006, 10:18

Kalah wrote:Fact is the game runs quite nicely gameplay-wise. Reviewers agree on that too. From complaints spread across this board and the official forum, it would seem most of the game's shortcomings are minor ones. Sure, there are things that could and should be improved, but that's the process. Every game has those things nowadays and we shouldn't expect Ubi's game not to have any.

The perfect game does not exist. So let's focus on those little things and see if we can help the designers make those little adjustments, shall we?
The complete lack of information in a turn based strategy game is not a minor issue its a serious issue

Return to “Heroes V-VI”