Gargoyle Mod

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Gargoyle Mod

Unread postby Arstahd » 25 May 2006, 05:42

I figured out how to swap creature models and have re-done the gargoyles. The mod isn't finished quite yet, I still need to create new icon pics, but here is a teaser screenshot for now.

*** UPDATE ***

The mod is finished.

Here's a few new pics...

... and the DL link

Gargoyles Mod

The mod is in PAK format and does not need to be extracted. To use, just place it in your Data folder along with the standard PAK files.
Last edited by Arstahd on 30 May 2006, 05:47, edited 1 time in total.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 May 2006, 06:10

excellent .... the old palette swap on the imp/familiar

but you know what, it still looks 100x better than the current gargoyles!!!

well done

Doxas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Doxas » 25 May 2006, 07:43

I would be using current gargoyles instead of two more (a bit retextured) imps :P
To be honest I dont mind playing (and dont see reason for all that fuss in forums) with gargoyles made by Nival. Something unusual, but works quite well with all magic stuff in wizards' castle.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 May 2006, 07:45

they work fine, it's just that many ppl find them so damn ugly!!

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Re: Gargoyle Mod

Unread postby Zamolxis » 25 May 2006, 08:31

Arstahd wrote:I figured out how to swap creature models and have re-done the gargoyles. The mod isn't finished quite yet, I still need to create new icon pics, but here is a teaser screenshot for now.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/ ... yles02.jpg
Good job! ;)

I wasn't so bothered about the Gargs they used but, seeing how many others didn't like them, I would have perceived a redisigning of the creature as a smart move from their part. It wasn't meant to be. :(

But I'm happy fans took the job in their own hands, and are doing what the devs couldn't do in 2 years, plus a few more months of delay we managed to pull through saveheroes.org for them, in our vain hope that they will actually take the time to fix the things annoying us.

What they always complained it's "impossible" to do "in just a few months", fans are proving now it can be done in just a few days.

Kudos guys! :proud:

PS: does any of you happen to be busy with that Treant also? No mod will be more welcomed than a mod removing that hideous spider.

galganog
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Wow those suck

Unread postby galganog » 25 May 2006, 10:29

Wow those look like something my dog vomited up.

Just save yourself the embarassment and delete them.

And Zamolxis it takes a lot more to redesign a hero then stealing another thing nival created and retexturing it with something out of photoshop.

The gargoyles make total sense as they are now.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 25 May 2006, 10:34

Those impoyles are great, cheers :-D
Seems the wizard got inspiration from the inferno imps, scrapped their own gargoyles and made these ones instead because the previous one was a bit bulky especially under the take off :D

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 25 May 2006, 10:49

@Arstahd

PLEASE make a Unicorn mod (that makes Unicorns look like they were meant at the begining Silver/White --> Orange)...

I would be very greatful.
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 May 2006, 10:51

This is excellent; gargoyles are the worst looking creatures in the game. They seem all right, stats wise though. Are you planning to make changes there too?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Wow those suck

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 May 2006, 10:55

galganog wrote:Wow those look like something my dog vomited up.

Just save yourself the embarassment and delete them.

And Zamolxis it takes a lot more to redesign a hero then stealing another thing nival created and retexturing it with something out of photoshop.

The gargoyles make total sense as they are now.
Hey hey, please be nice :mad: He took the trouble to redo gargoyles and they look nice :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 25 May 2006, 11:03

Not bad for people who hate the original gargoyles - and remember that people don't like them for personal taste reasons mostly, not because the devs "did wrong".

Its probably worth backing up the old unit graphics / information when the mod is released though as there could be patching problems at a later point or syncronisation multiplay issues.

Arzang
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Arzang » 25 May 2006, 11:13

what the hell is wrong with the genie, gargoyle and treant?

there are moer valid things to complain about. I actually like the gargoyle; quite a unique look.

treant; sure too skinny but graphics aren't a big deal.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 May 2006, 11:43

Way better then the juke boxes! :applause:
Arzang wrote:what the hell is wrong with the genie, gargoyle and treant?
Djinns look like they had their head squizeed and that mass went straight to their hands.Gargoyels are the dumbest thing Ive ever seen.Especially when flying.Treant is to skinny,but its the nicest of those three
Arzang wrote: there are moer valid things to complain about. I actually like the gargoyle; quite a unique look.
Unique is a good way of describing it.And although there are more things worth complaining,these are the easiest ones to fix.
Arzang wrote: treant; sure too skinny but graphics aren't a big deal.
If graphics arent a big deal why did they spend thousands of dollars on it?Why didnt they focus on fixing bugs,interface,gameplay and story instead of making fancy 3D?

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 25 May 2006, 11:49

I like the new gargoyles, strange as they may be.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 25 May 2006, 12:01

DaemianLucifer wrote:Way better then the juke boxes! :applause:
Arzang wrote:what the hell is wrong with the genie, gargoyle and treant?
Djinns look like they had their head squizeed and that mass went straight to their hands.Gargoyels are the dumbest thing Ive ever seen.Especially when flying.Treant is to skinny,but its the nicest of those three
Arzang wrote: there are moer valid things to complain about. I actually like the gargoyle; quite a unique look.
Unique is a good way of describing it.And although there are more things worth complaining,these are the easiest ones to fix.
Arzang wrote: treant; sure too skinny but graphics aren't a big deal.
If graphics arent a big deal why did they spend thousands of dollars on it?Why didnt they focus on fixing bugs,interface,gameplay and story instead of making fancy 3D?
Ouch, you spent half your time arguing why the graphics should be fixed and then counter yourself saying that they should have fixed the bugs gameplay etc DaemianLucifer ;)

On a general note, I think the graphics are as they are because of a Nival's design decision, and then possibly through the general community feedback during the beta. While there seems to be a vocal disklike of the the gargoyles and trenants on this board there are other people who don't care one way or another and others that like the new units.

So everyone is right in a way, and the mods are there for those who really have an intense desire to replace the graphics.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 25 May 2006, 12:06

Dublex wrote:Ouch, you spent half your time arguing why the graphics should be fixed and then counter yourself saying that they should have fixed the bugs gameplay etc DaemianLucifer ;)
Actually no.I believe graphics arent a big deal,hence my question why did they spend thousands of dollars on it?And if they did,why isnt it gorgeus then?It seems that they decided to focus on graphics more then anything else,and then they decided to doo a half a55 job in that area as well.

- Why so many bugs?
- We focused on graphics.
- Why is the graphics so average then?
- e tried to fix the bugs.

:disagree:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 25 May 2006, 12:21

I like the looks of the new gargoyles.
They look...ehhhmm....gargoyle-ish :D
As we discussed before they look like the ones that can be found on some churches :)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 25 May 2006, 13:04

Nice work there :)

And for those who think the "original" gargoyles are nice: no-one is going to come to your house and force you to run any mods, gargoyle or otherwise ;)
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 May 2006, 13:08

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote: As we discussed before they look like the ones that can be found on some churches :)
Yeah! I just wish they hadn't included the Church in the design. :disagree:

It's a freaking flying box. And the flight animation is stupid.

Stone Imps work way better. I wonder if they'd look better without the tongue.

Ethric wrote: And for those who think the "original" gargoyles are nice: no-one is going to come to your house and force you to run any mods, gargoyle or otherwise ;)
Unless I find out where they live. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 25 May 2006, 13:49

The gargoyles remind of that old cartoon the hunchback of notre dam, the gargoyles in the cartoon looked the same style.

I think theyre cool anyway, i dont have a problem with the Djinns they look quite nice too.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”