Inferno Campaign, Map 3: The Conquest

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Phobos
Demon
Demon

Inferno Campaign, Map 3: The Conquest

Unread postby Phobos » 24 May 2006, 10:58

This map has proven really difficult for me. I've restarted about two times already, and I seem to be unable to complete it. The first several days have always gone fine: I hire a hero, get the dwellings, defeat the hero in the garrison, capture the first Preserve and start clearing out the area outside it. I can't get to the other towns yet because of the phoenixes and dragons, and after I've gathered an army big enough to handle them, the enemy already has an even bigger force. Tricky. :S

What am I doing wrong? I'm thinking I'm way too slow, as I often am, or I might have missed something important. . . Could someone please give me some tips? I really want to finish the map.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 24 May 2006, 11:44

I have player it on heroic and at this level at least I do not see a possibility to accumulate larger force than the main enemy hero. If you have war machines skill (or even if you do not) ballista and first aid tent are good support. Also clone spell (which you had a chance to get as starting bonus earlier and if you picked it is still in your book) as well as destructive magic. Last time I won him by capturing the second sylvan town while he was away and defend it in a siege. In time scale got the second town by end of third week i think ..

Some people have told that there is a berserker scroll somewhere guarded by dragons. If you get it, you surely know what use it has.
Last edited by Pitsu on 24 May 2006, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 May 2006, 11:49

Thanks for your reply. :) I'll try the scenario again.

cronicler
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cronicler » 24 May 2006, 13:11

A "Few" Spoilers for that mission. Enjoy :D

The person who designed that map should be hanged shot and dragged by wild horses. Then hanged and shot again. imo. Most places have 2 entrances. 1 guarded by either high-powered or a lot of ranged units these cost you a lot of back and forth travelling but without a decent tank army some of the stacks are unbeatable w/o losses. The key to the map lies in farming meele mobs while waiting for your dragoons-treants to spawn without loosing your actual units. i find the summoned unit tanking the netural units while your real units pound them down to be a pretty nice strategy here :P. You can clear out the first circle (around the first elf town. boxed in via phonixes dragons etc. using ranged units + nightmares and cerberus. You can try a mixed army but i hated morale problems personally.
Beneath the Hill fort there is a passage guarded by only 40 or 50 earth elementals. if you deplaoy a small army (scubbus and cerberus. dont remember if i deployed nightmares) there is a good chance the elementals will deploy in 1 stack only. with decent use of summon tanking and speed (and slow ofcourse) you can decimate them without even loosing summoned units :) then with a little luck you can capture the second town without too much fuss. Then it goes back to heaven last mission again. hold the town with a secondary hero andharass the enemy - capture places with your main. Take care to lvl up you hero fully as you will need every bit you can get. and get logistics to 3rd lvl asap.

-Cronicler out-

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 24 May 2006, 13:19

You can have a bigger army then the computer... the key is to GET RID OF THE STUPID DRUIDS!

Forget the towns (other then the 1st elf-town)... your enemy is the druids, not the towns. Every week the druids spawn hunters and what-not all over the map... want to know where the huge enemy armies are coming from? The AI picks-up those stacks the druids are creating... get rid of the druids, end the "week of the sylvan" and automatically prevent the AI from sweeping up tons of extra troops.

As soon as you take the first elf town, forget about anything OTHER then eliminating the druids, and you'll do well.

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 24 May 2006, 14:00

Wolfshanze wrote:You can have a bigger army then the computer... the key is to GET RID OF THE STUPID DRUIDS!

Forget the towns (other then the 1st elf-town)... your enemy is the druids, not the towns. Every week the druids spawn hunters and what-not all over the map... want to know where the huge enemy armies are coming from? The AI picks-up those stacks the druids are creating... get rid of the druids, end the "week of the sylvan" and automatically prevent the AI from sweeping up tons of extra troops.

As soon as you take the first elf town, forget about anything OTHER then eliminating the druids, and you'll do well.
Actually, after I took the first town, I had a ranger available for hire- the Master Hunter- I hired him, and rapidly got over 100 hunters, which could take out any of the spawned stacks, and often (as th force grew) they would all join. I play slowly, and so a huge Sylvan force came through (actually a few did at various times). I had this guy attack, getting rid of the dragons, sprites, and druids- and then surrender with whatever was left (about 60 master hunters). I rehired him, while Agrael easily finished the hero off, collecting the experience and artifacts in the process. Once I captured a second elf town, I was set, since my high-level creature production was now better than the AIs, and I had my master hunter still gathering the spawned stacks. I left the druids for the end, since they didn't send out heroes. Although I didn't need it, I could have left them alone a few extra weeks just to max out my level first.

The key thing was hiring a ranger, so I could benefit from the weekly growth as much as the AI could! :D

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 24 May 2006, 16:49

I found this mission to be quite easy. I had a biger force than the enemy hero.

Here is what you should do:

1. You do *not* need to touch the emerald dragons. There is another path which is guarded by stone elementals.

2. *Forget* about your inferno town(only build the level 2 capital/town hall whatever). Use the sylvan towns instead. You will also have the increased creature availabilty. Conquer the second town quickly(it is usually extremely poorly guarded) and that is the way you will overcome your enemy.

Also, there are two gold mines. Get them as fast as possible. I did it in the beginning and had no money problems at all.

The thing is... use your hero. Dont be afraid to attack random monsters. I usually clear up 80% of the random enemies with a starting force.

Phobos
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Phobos » 24 May 2006, 17:53

Thanks for your help. I made it! :hoo: For me, the key was to take over the second town quickly, and after that, it was really simple. Agrael was well developed and had no problems to beat armies bigger than his own. But it sure was annoying before I knew what to do.

nica84nwa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Are we playing the same Heroes V?

Unread postby nica84nwa » 24 May 2006, 20:44

Well, I am in the same Heroes V, Inferno Campaign, Mission 3 - The Conquest, as you are... or at least so it seems. I have cleaned up the WHOLE map, every mine, every neutral creature, and guess what?? THERE ARE NO ENEMY TOWNS ON THE MAP. NOT A SINGLE ONE. The only enemy "thing" that was, was the enemy hero that was supposed to guard the garrison (as you said). I found the garrison empty (I took it, and the objective did not appear as complete), and I found the respective enemy hero some 2 turns away, gathering resources. So.... can someone please enlighten me? (before I erase HoMM V forever from my computer). And I REPEAT: I AM IN THE THIRD MISSION, "THE CONQUEST", OF THE INFERNO CAMPAIGN (the description of the map is to have Agrael reach Tieru, while passing through elven lands).

8| 8| 8| 8|

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 May 2006, 20:53

Seems you have an odd bug of some sort. You should probably try restarting it, as you should get some cutscenes when reaching that garrison. If you don't, something's wrong.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Re: Are we playing the same Heroes V?

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 24 May 2006, 21:07

nica84nwa wrote:Well, I am in the same Heroes V, Inferno Campaign, Mission 3 - The Conquest, as you are... or at least so it seems. I have cleaned up the WHOLE map, every mine, every neutral creature, and guess what?? THERE ARE NO ENEMY TOWNS ON THE MAP. NOT A SINGLE ONE. The only enemy "thing" that was, was the enemy hero that was supposed to guard the garrison (as you said). I found the garrison empty (I took it, and the objective did not appear as complete), and I found the respective enemy hero some 2 turns away, gathering resources. So.... can someone please enlighten me? (before I erase HoMM V forever from my computer). And I REPEAT: I AM IN THE THIRD MISSION, "THE CONQUEST", OF THE INFERNO CAMPAIGN (the description of the map is to have Agrael reach Tieru, while passing through elven lands).

8| 8| 8| 8|
I take it you killed-off the druids, right? Dunno otherwise.

nica84nwa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby nica84nwa » 25 May 2006, 10:32

That circle of druids was the last place I got to, because I realised it was there that something was supposed to happen. But I got there only AFTER I had cleaned up all the map, and no enemies around. And yes, I killed them all, I was bored :D
I tried restarting it two times, but nothing :( . I'll just keep trying...
Thx anyway

Extrakun
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Extrakun » 27 May 2006, 04:51

Some questions:

1. Where is the second Elven town?
2. How on earth did you get a Master Hunter hero? My tavern only have Demon Lords for hire (I am hiring from the first Elven town)
3. I hate fighting mages/priests/ranged attackers...they are guarding all the resources! Any handy tips?

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 27 May 2006, 05:07

1. Upper left corner
2. Luck probably, wait for the next week. Don't really need one though.
3. Nothing beyond killing them fast with ranged\fast units+spells.. The initiative special your hero has is awesome for this, and tactics for putting your units closer to them is great too.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 12:57

Extrakun wrote: 3. I hate fighting mages/priests/ranged attackers...they are guarding all the resources! Any handy tips?
Use agrael.The best is mass slow+phantom image.Ive managed to kill lots of ranged troops without a single loss in this manner.It works much better with succubi(and gating),but if you loose them,elven troops are good as well.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 May 2006, 04:37

Despite my increadlby bad luck,Ive managed to beat this mission.On hard,no less.And just one restart(on my first attempt I focused on my necro town,and saw that its a mistake).Although,a bit of luck helped me in the second fight against that three shaging pixie(my treants resisted his frenzy).Btw,someone mentioned third encounters with him.How?This map is hard,but it posed just an average chalenge to me.Am I really that good,or are you guys that bad? :devious: :devil:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 May 2006, 05:42

Some people finished it on Heroic.... so ur not that good.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 28 May 2006, 06:32

You want to take the first elven town the day that week 2 starts, that prevents the first week of the elfspawn. You want to rush up towards the phoenixes, turn right and kill the mages.

Then kill the earth elementals you find above you and to your left. Go up from there and clear out the Military post, it gives 2 treants. Finally head left, and take the second elvern town. (which is north-west of the first if you want a general area to head too).

With Expert logistics this should take you five days, without it I believe it takes 7, but you should still make it before the start of week 3. From there you have about 2-3 weeks, before Gilran makes a move on you, you need all that time to build up the second elf town. I hired one extra hero (doesn't matter what kind) in the first town, to run up the sprites, bladedancers, and hunters I had there (didn't upgrade the town more than that).

This strategy worked for my flatmate and I, on heroic. We had different hero builds (he went with ballistics and I went with luck, I had logistics and he had leadership ect...), different "weeks" and so on. It’s a solid strategy and, as far as I know from experience playing and forums, the only one which will work on heroic.
~ Rapier.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 29 May 2006, 02:08

damn, i found it difficult enough on normal!!!

Desiraae
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Desiraae » 29 May 2006, 06:30

well, I've been stuck on this one for quite some time, tried several of the strategies everyone has suggested...I have gotten the farthest following Rapier's suggestions, I got as far as taking the second town...then as I went looking for a way to the druid circle and/or the last town, along comes Gilraen and his army...I was ready for him this time, with my 5 treants and my one dragon!!! or so I thought, until I see he's brought along 4 of the upgraded dragons, 5 or 6 upgraded treants, and a whole slew of master hunters and druids...

this one is really starting to annoy me, good thing I have it saved after taking the second town...any suggestions from here?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”