Do you miss stronghold?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you miss "stronghold"?

Yes, loved that town
67%
Dont care if they are in the game or not
19%
No, never played as them anyway
15%

Total votes: 117

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Ethric:

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 19:22

Metal Wolf wrote: Viewing? phhh... this is not a point of view, man. Every other town IS based on one creature type, and that is not an opinion - thats a fact.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sp ... gy_by_type

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_le ... es_by_type

Your using creature type wrong.

And a reptile town would make as much sense as a human one. And Beasts are a creature type.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Jun 2006, 19:25

I wonder...TT,are you by any chance studying linguistics?Since it seems you always drag useles semantics into everything.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 19:35

Semantics are everything. His whole point is made wrong because all the previous towns were also based on creature types. All of them had some unifying theme, just not the same creature in more roles.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 13 Jun 2006, 19:38

Metal Wolf wrote: Viewing? phhh... this is not a point of view, man. Every other town IS based on one creature type, and that is not an opinion - thats a fact.
There's mr bombastic again... and I meant for the purpose of whether or not adding a specific town is "possible" or not, not for classifying current towns (which are to a lesser or greater extent based on one creature type, Haven being the greater and academy being the lesser examples).
Metal Wolf wrote:Obviously you can't convince me that you are right, and I can't convince you (partially because you won't listen but rather pick on on some specific meaningless word like "race" or "impossible"),.
I get the feeling "won't listen" here means "doesn't agree with me, and picks on my shaky reasoning". In which case, no, I won't "listen"
Metal Wolf wrote: so before it gets off topic I'd rather end this private discussion. Surely you are going to say the last word so you'll feel good with yourself but thats fine with me.
Good man, taking responsibility like that. Me, I am to fond of getting the last word to be so responsible B-)
ThunderTitan wrote: All of them had some unifying theme, just not the same creature in more roles.
Yeah, a unifying theme is the important thing. Whether that unifying theme is a gathering of similar creatures, an affinity for magic, or something else.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 19:45

Ethric wrote: Yeah, a unifying theme is the important thing. Whether that unifying theme is a gathering of similar creatures, an affinity for magic, or something else.
Having pointy ears seems to be a fan-favorite.

Give me scales or give me death (someone elses of course). Greenskins (Brownskins if DM is to be considered) and Reptiles are perfect as races.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 Jun 2006, 20:01

ThunderTitan wrote: Having pointy ears seems to be a fan-favorite.
More like developer-favorite...

And MEtal Wolf: just because there's a pattern of "all" towns having a unifying race, it doesn't mean all future ones will as well.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Jun 2006, 20:08

Gaidal Cain wrote: More like developer-favorite...
I didn't see any death threats being issued, so I blame the fans just as much. :devil:

And i love it how race is used instead of species. A game where all the humans aren't so fair skined would be a nice alternative. Or where another race but humans are modeled after Medieval Western White Europe.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 14 Jun 2006, 04:03

Unless stronghold gets a big revamp I hope they don't come back. Goblins, goblin riders, orcs, ogres, and behemoths are all hideous units that had terrible art in the all the homm versions I've played.

Maybe if they put in some sort of orc/troll shaman/witch doctor(warcraft style) and something similar to the orcs in lotr then it could be ok. However, by the previous art I was always very disappointed with the stronghold race.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jun 2006, 06:50

ThunderTitan wrote: I didn't see any death threats being issued, so I blame the fans just as much. :devil:
Like that would help?Remember the postponing of the game until its finished and the whole "we saved heroes"?It wasnt that long ago.
MrSteamTank wrote:Unless stronghold gets a big revamp I hope they don't come back. Goblins, goblin riders, orcs, ogres, and behemoths are all hideous units that had terrible art in the all the homm versions I've played.
Wolf riders and behemoths in HIII were very nice.Especially the behomth.
MrSteamTank wrote: Maybe if they put in some sort of orc/troll shaman/witch doctor(warcraft style) and something similar to the orcs in lotr then it could be ok. However, by the previous art I was always very disappointed with the stronghold race.
Oh god,please no more toilet graphics!!We already have that in inferno(not to mention the gargoyles),and it is more than enough to make me :ill: !

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 14 Jun 2006, 13:07

I think Stronghold has always had great character in terms of art for all the Heroes games. They look exactly like they should!

The orcs and goblins in H2 were particularly good I felt. The first, snotty and almost like they could form a rabble, the latter - fat and lazy, standing there with their crossbows. The Behemoths in H3 are a treat, too! H4 had the cyclops who looked big and towering and nasty, as well as a great thunderbird and behemoth.

Just because they're not clean and in some sort of ridiculously standard design (Humans... demons... oh god th elves) doesn't mean that it's bad. Rather, I think it is good.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jun 2006, 13:49

innokenti wrote: as well as a great thunderbird and behemoth.
I hated the Behemoth's face in H4, and his hump too. The Thunderbird was so-so. Loved the Goblins in H2.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 14 Jun 2006, 14:34

innokenti wrote:I think Stronghold has always had great character in terms of art for all the Heroes games. They look exactly like they should!

The orcs and goblins in H2 were particularly good I felt. The first, snotty and almost like they could form a rabble, the latter - fat and lazy, standing there with their crossbows. The Behemoths in H3 are a treat, too! H4 had the cyclops who looked big and towering and nasty, as well as a great thunderbird and behemoth.

Just because they're not clean and in some sort of ridiculously standard design (Humans... demons... oh god th elves) doesn't mean that it's bad. Rather, I think it is good.
The design in homm5 is hardly standard. This is the best art I've ever seen in any homm game period. Unicorns, nightmares, succubi, pitlords, devils, and sprites all look absolutely fantastic and they changed them hugely from previous versions of homm. And thank goodness because some of the old units were so ugly.

Compare the current pitlord to the pitlord of homm3. WOW what a difference. The pitlord actually looks intimidating in homm5 while in homm3 it looked like a red bald man with a whip.

I hope they do the exact same artistic changes when and if they create a stronghold faction. In other words a huge artistic revamp. It's such a welcome change at least for me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 14 Jun 2006, 14:37

MrSteamTank wrote:
The design in homm5 is hardly standard. This is the best art I've ever seen in any homm game period. Unicorns, nightmares, succubi, pitlords, devils, and sprites all look absolutely fantastic and they changed them hugely from previous versions of homm. And thank goodness because some of the old units were so ugly.

Compare the current pitlord to the pitlord of homm3. WOW what a difference. The pitlord actually looks intimidating in homm5 while in homm3 it looked like a red bald man with a whip.

I hope they do the exact same artistic changes when and if they create a stronghold faction. In other words a huge artistic revamp. It's such a welcome change at least for me.
I sure hope they dont.Look at devils,angels,gargoyels now and in previous versions.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 14 Jun 2006, 14:53

Well, I prefer the pit lord of HoMM3.

H5 one oozes "Look - I'm big and fiery!"

H3 one oozes character and some sort of uniqueness. I can imagine him standing in hell, over-looking a pit and whipping chittering horders and telling them to get to work.

It can't be said for all units but I prefer a lot of the designs from previous games to H5.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Jun 2006, 15:10

MrSteamTank wrote: The design in homm5 is hardly standard.
:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

Seriously people, most of the designs in H5 are based on WH. Just that the WH ones are better.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”