Crud... No AI = no buy... again!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Crud... No AI = no buy... again!

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 23 May 2006, 11:56

After Heroes IV came out, I was hoping the gods would take pity on the fact that I had to forgo a new Heroes game because it had no operating AI. And the gods gave us Heroes V! Which, unfortunately, has no AI either.

The forums have made it clear that the strategic AI frequently won't defend its cities, even when it has a larger army than the player, and frequently won't capture empty player-owned cities. That's not even addressing the tactical AI reports I've heard.

And just in case the reports I've been reading were unusual anomalies, I have repeatedly asked, in this and other forums, if anybody has seen clear instances where an active AI is evident. In other words, if people have witnessed the strategic (adventure map) AI actively responding to changeable circumstance.

So far, I have yet to hear a single positive report in this regard.

Good luck, Ubisoft! Now, to patiently await Heroes VI...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 12:46

It does have an AI,its just that its not brilliant,and it can be exploited in numerous ways.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 May 2006, 13:21

Like in most games I suppose. Seen several people here say they're happy with the way it acts.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Saurus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saurus » 23 May 2006, 13:27

Ethric wrote:Like in most games I suppose. Seen several people here say they're happy with the way it acts.
That´s probably because people are comparing the A.I in H4 to that in H5.
The A.I in H5 might still be horrible. Have to play more to say for sure though.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 23 May 2006, 13:53

Or because they saw a random behavior that fortunately fitted the situation.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 23 May 2006, 13:55

The combat AI is better than in other Heroes games I think. The targetting priority regarding War Machines is messed up, and the Spell Casting is somewhat messed up as well, but apart from that, it is rather clever.

I have nothing positive to say about the adventure map AI though. They sometimes do not even bother to capture lumber mills and ore pits.
Not that they would need to, because they apparently have infinite rescources, but that's just as bad.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 14:01

Anthriel wrote:The combat AI is better than in other Heroes games I think. The targetting priority regarding War Machines is messed up, and the Spell Casting is somewhat messed up as well, but apart from that, it is rather clever.
And it has some weird priorities.But combat AI wasnt bad in HIV neither.As for the adventure AI,the only objection is that it needs no resources.Other than that,it is nice.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 23 May 2006, 18:26

Yup. The little I've seen of the adventure Ai on the campaign maps (those that weren't scripted) hasn't been to discomforting yet- it's perhaps not asa agressive as it could be, but it doesn't just sit there either.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 24 May 2006, 01:29

wg, youve probably just heard of the AI in campaign, and that AI, FC himself explained, is strictly restrained by guidlines and scripts. as GC said, the AI in normal single player (i think thats what he meant, unscripted maps) is ok, and will probably be improved over time in various patches. and ive hearrd many people say that the battle AI is very good, so theres nothing to complain about there...

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 May 2006, 02:17

yeah, not it's as bad as you're led to believe Gnu

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 24 May 2006, 03:48

I wouldn't make up my mind yet. People are only just getting the game and existing impressions are likely to be based on the incomplete demo or beta versions and/or very initial impressions of campaign maps. I think it'll take longer to reach final conclusions on the AI.

I've found it quite good in the campaigns. On hard difficulty it's giving me a bit of a run for my money. On the "race to the artifact" inferno map (forget the name), it played well and likewise on the proper version of The Fall of the King (a demo map) I had some genuinely good interactions with the strategic map AI. The weaker heroes chased around my mines and weak hero while the stronger armies went straight for my town. I was reasonably impressed, but obviously can't get a proper flavour until I play single scenarios.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 24 May 2006, 06:00

It's certainly a good sign thou PB ... if the building blocks for great ai are there, then it can be improved (hopefully)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 May 2006, 07:54

PB: I wouldn't use those two maps as a basis for my impression of the AI, as they both most likely are scripted - the persistence with which the stronger heroes goes for your town is proof of this in the latter case.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 24 May 2006, 16:25

Psychobabble wrote:I wouldn't make up my mind yet. People are only just getting the game and existing impressions are likely to be based on the incomplete demo or beta versions and/or very initial impressions of campaign maps. I think it'll take longer to reach final conclusions on the AI.

I've found it quite good in the campaigns. On hard difficulty it's giving me a bit of a run for my money. On the "race to the artifact" inferno map (forget the name), it played well and likewise on the proper version of The Fall of the King (a demo map) I had some genuinely good interactions with the strategic map AI. The weaker heroes chased around my mines and weak hero while the stronger armies went straight for my town. I was reasonably impressed, but obviously can't get a proper flavour until I play single scenarios.
Hmm.. Ok; I'll wait for more analysis!

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

AI?

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 25 May 2006, 00:34

I would argue that AI has hardly been the strong point of any of the HOMM games.

I still play Heroes II all the time and I've seen enemy heroes run around aimlessly, make suicidal attacks, and ignore valuable mines.

It is quite clear that there will be bug fixing patches, but I'm not so sure if the AI can be 'fixed'. I've read enough to see that there are some problems with it, but give me a bunch of single player maps and I'll be a happy camper. I like to play two or three player games with my friends (all in the same room/no internet stuff) but I mostly end up fencing the computer.

Psychobabble
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby Psychobabble » 25 May 2006, 00:52

WretchedGnu wrote:Hmm.. Ok; I'll wait for more analysis!
well, after playing "The Conquest" map (I think it's third in the inferno campaign) I have to say that I'm very impressed. It's the most traditional-map style game I've played and the strategic AI is very impressive. The map is designed like a large circle, and it's split it's main forces into two armies (each of which are stronger than me :( )and doing rough pincer maneuvers around each side of the circle, constantly leaving my hero in danger of being trapped. THe only way I'm able to survive is due to my expert logistics, pathfinding and by taking key objects like towns with other heroes to draw them off my path. The AI doesn't attack my primary town, even though it could beat it easily, but I'm sure this is a campaign design feature because otherwise you wouldn't be able to win.

All in all, I'm very plesantly surprised. Has anyone else had experience on this map?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 May 2006, 01:26

yep, liking that map PB

Return to “Heroes V-VI”