Creature Recruiting

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Creature Recruiting

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 09:26

Hi, I'm having problems recruiting creatures in the castles. When I click on "buy creatures" then most of the time there are no creatutes to hire and I have the appropriate buildings. Do creatures only come once a week or what? It makes it practically impossible for me to build an army for a second hero. Am I doing something wrong?

To the moderators: Feel free to move this topic, I didn't know where to place my question :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 09:38

You can only recruit creatures out of dwellings weekly if you have not plundered an area already.

Second Heroes are still useful though, as you can have your main hero doing his normal stuff while the other one acts as a saddle bag to carry troops to your main hero - it isn't always convenient for you main hero to keep popping back to town at the beginning of the week.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 09:51

I know and I usually use a second hero for the exact same purpose.
If I have plundered the area then what difference does that make to my creature dwellings in the castles? It is abit annoying that I can't recruit during the week. What if my army needs reinforcements within a couple of days since my last buy? Omg, this is concerning :scared:
Another thing was that I build the peasant huts and recruited the peasants but they wouldn't leave the castle or join my second hero as she returned to the castle for reinforcements.... :cry:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 May 2006, 10:02

Remember the rule.

Weekly creature growth is the H3 way. Only H4 had daily growth. So you can only hire creatures once a week, either in town or at external dwelings.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 10:02

The only once a week rule is part of the strategy, as unlike RTS games where you can just pump out units when you want you have to make the best use of the troops you have.

When I meant plundering I wasn't clear enough - neutral buildings act the same as town buildings, so if you recruit units there you can't get any more until the beginning of the next week either. Actual grabbing treasure / killing neutral stacks doesn't effect your town units / neutral units.

This feeds into town stratgey as well, as you can often be put into the "should I get those lower level units now to attack that neutral stack or wait until I can upgrade them?" - both have their advantages and disadvantages, as neutral stacks increase as well per week if you leave them unattacked, but on the flipside you may have more powerful units to deal with them at the beginning of the next week.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 11:58

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Hi, I'm having problems recruiting creatures in the castles. When I click on "buy creatures" then most of the time there are no creatutes to hire and I have the appropriate buildings. Do creatures only come once a week or what? It makes it practically impossible for me to build an army for a second hero. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes,the weekly growth is back,unfortunately.It was like that in HIII.And it allows you an interesting exploit:Capture the town on day 7(or day 1 if youre playing first),and on day 1 buy all the cretures.That way,even if the enemy takes the town back,hell be crippled.
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:I know and I usually use a second hero for the exact same purpose.
If I have plundered the area then what difference does that make to my creature dwellings in the castles? It is abit annoying that I can't recruit during the week. What if my army needs reinforcements within a couple of days since my last buy? Omg, this is concerning :scared:
Another thing was that I build the peasant huts and recruited the peasants but they wouldn't leave the castle or join my second hero as she returned to the castle for reinforcements.... :cry:
Each external dweling should increase the growth of the apropriate creature by 1 in every town you have.At least thats how it was in HIII.Here,Im not sure because it there isnt a single tooltip telling you what affects your growth. :disagree:

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 12:21

Well, it's a bit annoying that it is made this way and I played H4 first so I'm not used to this but maybe I will be soon.

I was playing the Haven campaign on the computer the other day and the lady hero who I freed couldn't go into the castle (I believe the male one couldn't either). Is this a new feature? And why can't the creatures inside join the hero when she is standing by the castle?
I want to know the basics here if I am to learn to play at a better level soon :)
- Dragon Age Origins

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 12:50

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Well, it's a bit annoying that it is made this way and I played H4 first so I'm not used to this but maybe I will be soon.

I was playing the Haven campaign on the computer the other day and the lady hero who I freed couldn't go into the castle (I believe the male one couldn't either). Is this a new feature? And why can't the creatures inside join the hero when she is standing by the castle?
I want to know the basics here if I am to learn to play at a better level soon :)
You have to walk straight into the castle(when the flag appears),and not stand by it.And only one hero can visit a castle at the same time(excluding garnison hero).

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 12:56

Well, that's what I'm doing but the damn creatures won't leave the safety of the city...maybe it'll get better in the real game (stupid demo).

Also I want to ask if it's possible to make one hero join another like in H4?
Cause I liked having to heroes in battle and so on..
What is a garnison hero?
- Dragon Age Origins

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 23 May 2006, 13:01

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Well, that's what I'm doing but the damn creatures won't leave the safety of the city...maybe it'll get better in the real game (stupid demo).

Also I want to ask if it's possible to make one hero join another like in H4?
What is a garnison hero?
H5 is back to the old system of Heroes I-III, that means :
- Only one hero by army
- Creatures can't move without heroes
- Heroes don't fight directly on the battlefield

The garnison hero is the hero who is "inside" the city (on the upper army line). The visiting hero is the hero who is at the city doors (lower line).

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 13:05

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:Well, that's what I'm doing but the damn creatures won't leave the safety of the city...maybe it'll get better in the real game (stupid demo).
I dont know how,but it worked fine for me.Does your hero appear in the bottom line once you enter the city?Because creatures cannot leave on their own.
Milla aka. the Slayer wrote: Also I want to ask if it's possible to make one hero join another like in H4?
What is a garnison hero?
(Un)fortunatelly only one hero can be present in the army.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 23 May 2006, 13:15

Dublex wrote:The only once a week rule is part of the strategy, as unlike RTS games where you can just pump out units when you want you have to make the best use of the troops you have.
That's an incorrect comparison. With daily growth you don't get any more creatures than with weekly, you just get them spread out over the week. Daily growth does not mean you can pump out units when you want to.

I for one like being given the option to grab half a weeks growth and try my skill on those neutral stacks instead of having to go to the castle and click end turn end turn end turn ad nauseam waiting for next weeks batch of freshly baked troops.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 23 May 2006, 13:32

DaemianLucifer wrote:I dont know how,but it worked fine for me.Does your hero appear in the bottom line once you enter the city?Because creatures cannot leave on their own.
Yes she does appear but the creatures inside won't join her.

The thing about only one hero in the army sucks but soon I'll probably like it.

As for recruiting creatures I guess it's just a matter of not buying them all at once if you want a second army. That way I can split the creatures available and give one stack to the main hero and another to the second hero. That might work. Just a matter of adjustment.

@ Ethric: that is hilarious! Freshly baked troops.... :rofl:
*Chuckle chuckle*
- Dragon Age Origins

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 23 May 2006, 13:46

Ethric wrote:
Dublex wrote:The only once a week rule is part of the strategy, as unlike RTS games where you can just pump out units when you want you have to make the best use of the troops you have.
That's an incorrect comparison. With daily growth you don't get any more creatures than with weekly, you just get them spread out over the week. Daily growth does not mean you can pump out units when you want to.

I for one like being given the option to grab half a weeks growth and try my skill on those neutral stacks instead of having to go to the castle and click end turn end turn end turn ad nauseam waiting for next weeks batch of freshly baked troops.
There is no reason why you have to buy all the troops at once.
If you realy want the "daily" growth feel, then restrict yourself to buying only 1/7 the troops each day.
After the first week passes, then you have the same number of creatures. If you buy them all on day 1 each week, then you can't buy more on day 3, but in a daily model you wouldn't have had the full week's growth on day 1!

It all really depends on when you hire the secondary hero- if you hire it on day 6/7/1, weekly growth is better, since a full week will be available in couple days. If you hire on day 2/3/4, daily is better (unless you require a full week's worth of troops anyway, in which case weekly is better except on day 2). Day 5 is a toss up, based on your strategy.

I think both models can work fine.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 13:52

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:There is no reason why you have to buy all the troops at once.
If you realy want the "daily" growth feel, then restrict yourself to buying only 1/7 the troops each day.
After the first week passes, then you have the same number of creatures. If you buy them all on day 1 each week, then you can't buy more on day 3, but in a daily model you wouldn't have had the full week's growth on day 1!

It all really depends on when you hire the secondary hero- if you hire it on day 6/7/1, weekly growth is better, since a full week will be available in couple days. If you hire on day 2/3/4, daily is better (unless you require a full week's worth of troops anyway, in which case weekly is better except on day 2). Day 5 is a toss up, based on your strategy.

I think both models can work fine.
Theres only one reason why daily growth is better,and that is the day 7 exploit.If this was countered Id have no objections to weekly growth(except the logical component,of course:)

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 23 May 2006, 14:01

Daily growth in Heroes IV annoyed me, because the best way to do things was to buy troops every day, and sent them on the long journey to your hero.

But attacking a town on day 1, as player 1, with your weekly growth brought to you by a hero chain, still feels unfair. It would be alright with simultaneous turns though.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 14:28

Anthriel wrote:Daily growth in Heroes IV annoyed me, because the best way to do things was to buy troops every day, and sent them on the long journey to your hero.
Why?I only buy creatures every day during the first two weeks,then I mostly buy them weekly,and caravan them to the front,and later just monthly.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 23 May 2006, 14:41

Lol @ calling a strategy an exploit -.-. I hated daily growth myself.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 23 May 2006, 14:53

HenL wrote:Lol @ calling a strategy an exploit -.-. I hated daily growth myself.
A strategy?Whats so strategical about being the first and taking your enemies town at day one?Its a clear exploit of the system.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 15:30

DaemianLucifer wrote:
HenL wrote:Lol @ calling a strategy an exploit -.-. I hated daily growth myself.
A strategy?Whats so strategical about being the first and taking your enemies town at day one?Its a clear exploit of the system.
Although if a player has been building up their army carefully and have been mindful of attacks, then the full growth troops shouldn't matter.

Maybe some damage or other inflicted penalty should be issued to a taken over town to stop the system being exploited.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”