Need Help. Game crashes after loadbar is complete

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 19:48

Okay - I went to the MicroSoft site and downloaded the latest and greatest, then did a search for anything d3dx9 related.
Interesting thing - my system has d3dx9_27, where what the game is looking for is d3dx9_25, which is in the directory with the demo version of H5.

If I copy and paste ..._25 into my system directory, am I going to kill my machine? Can I paste it anywhere else and still have H5 find it?

thanks!
Last edited by Bethel on 29 May 2006, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:51

Bethel wrote: If I copy and paste ..._25 into my system directory, and I going to kill my machine? Can I paste it anywhere else and still have H5 find it?
Copy/pasteing it all might not be such a good ideea. And if you have a more recent copy of DX then of course it won't install the older one.

Have you tried phning Ubi Tehnical Support? Maybe they know something.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 20:11

Haven't tried calling them, as in my experience that turns into about 3 hours of wasted time. Plus, I don't have a number to reach them at.

I did try leaving them an e-mail:
"I've tried sending the support staff an email, but although they make note that my e-mail is on record they don't recognize my name and password and won't let me send them a question without logging in. If I try to log in as a different user from Bethel, they say my e-mail address is already on file and won't accept the new account. "

Not impressed much.

Has anyone updated their DirectX *after* initially loading H5 and having it work only to get this error message after updating?

Caine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caine » 29 May 2006, 20:16

I just find it sad that I *just* bought this laptop, and it is supposed to be made for decent gaming, yet it cannot support this game. I left the support team a message, but I am most likely going to return the game. It is not worth the frustration, and the limited support in video cards for the game is not how I would expect a company with good customer service to roll out a new product.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 20:21

Caine wrote:I just find it sad that I *just* bought this laptop, and it is supposed to be made for decent gaming, yet it cannot support this game. I left the support team a message, but I am most likely going to return the game. It is not worth the frustration, and the limited support in video cards for the game is not how I would expect a company with good customer service to roll out a new product.
Laptops aren't made for game-playing, no matter what they tell you. Certainly not for graphics-intensive games.

On the other hand, I just bought this computer AND a new graphics card and I can't play H5. 170+ hours into Oblivion, however, means it wasn't a waste of money. Just the $65 dollars I spent on H5 and my son's gas money to pick it up.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 20:40

Bethel wrote: Laptops aren't made for game-playing, no matter what they tell you. Certainly not for graphics-intensive games.
Not true... custom-made laptop rigs like an Alienware (with a GeForce 7900GTX for video) are DEFINATELY made for gaming.

If you go to the local Circuit City and buy the average Hewlett Packard or Compaq laptop that the salesman swears is for gaming... no, you got screwed.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”