Need Help. Game crashes after loadbar is complete

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 May 2006, 13:41

I think you're screwed. Sorry, mac. ;)

I guess you have to buy a new card. Don't panic, though, it doesn't have to cost the shirt off your back; you only need a decen cardt, not the best there is. Check out ebay and a couple other online web stores, and I'm sure you'll find something at a reasonable price.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Caine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caine » 29 May 2006, 14:09

My laptop is relatively high-end...I find it frustrating that they would release a game with so few video cards supported.

I'm not about to replace my video card when I just bought this computer a month ago.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 14:17

drewsof wrote:Okay, so I figured out that my card is the GeForce 4 MX... which is not supported...
GeForce 4 MX isn't a very good gaming card. The GeForce 3 Ti is better. It also doesn't have pixelshader 1.1, which is pretty much required on every new game nowadays.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 15:06

ThunderTitan wrote:
drewsof wrote:Okay, so I figured out that my card is the GeForce 4 MX... which is not supported...
GeForce 4 MX isn't a very good gaming card. The GeForce 3 Ti is better. It also doesn't have pixelshader 1.1, which is pretty much required on every new game nowadays.
ANY GeForce 3 is better then the GeForce 4MX.

Anyways, having a GeForce 4MX, you MUST upgrade if you want to play the game... there's no other option. I doubt you'll be able to find anything less then a GeForce 5 retail. You may be able to purchase a GeForce 3 or GeForce 4 (non-MX) via E-Bay if you're looking to save money, but depending on your budget, try and get at least a GeForce 6 of some-kind if you can afford it.

If money is really, Really, REALLY tight, at least try and get a GeForce FX 5600 or better (do NOT get a GeForce FX 5200, even if they cost $1). In general, I'd try and stay away from the FX line if possible unless you end up with a FX5900.

There are some cheap ATI cards out there too, any of which should run the game (as long as they are on the supported list of course).

Bottom line, if you can swing it, try for a GeForce 6600 or higher (by far your best option), and if you're really desperate, a GeForce FX 5600 or better (or hit E-Bay for a GeForce 3 or non-MX GeForce 4).

Caine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caine » 29 May 2006, 15:16

How difficult is it to replace video cards on laptops? I'm not very good with PC hardware =/

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 16:02

Caine wrote:How difficult is it to replace video cards on laptops? I'm not very good with PC hardware =/
Last I heard it was kinda impossible. Or in the arm&leg price range. Laptops aren't very customize prone.

@Wolfshanze

GF 4 MX is a modified GF 2, right?
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 16:47

ThunderTitan wrote: Last I heard it was kinda impossible. Or in the arm&leg price range. Laptops aren't very customize prone.

@Wolfshanze

GF 4 MX is a modified GF 2, right?
Yeah... laptops are kinda what you see is what you get with video cards. Few if any laptops can have their video card replaced... at least at end-user level.

As for the GeForce4MX, yes... it should have been called a GeForce2 Ultra at cheapo prices, because that's exactly what it was. The GeForce4MX was a highly optimized and restructured GeForce2 core. It ran about as fast as a GeForce2 Ultra, but caried a very cheap street price. At the time of release, it was a very good card at an affordable price, but had a horrible marketting problem because it carried the "GeForce-4" name, which infered it was better then the GeForce-3 or as feature-rich as other GeForce-4's, neither of which was the case.

GeForce-3 and GeForce-4 (non-MX) were fully DirectX-8 compliant in hardware. GeForce-4MX (aka: GeForce2 Ultra), was nothing more then a fast DirectX-7 compliant video card with no capabilities of DirectX-8 features. Simply put, the GeForce-4MX was a good card with a HORRIBLE misleading name.

Obviously, HOMMV requires a fully compliant DX-8 video card or it won't run at all (hence the problem with the GF4MX).

Caine
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Caine » 29 May 2006, 17:02

Gah. Well then I guess I'm taking the game back...because I just bought this laptop, and I'm not about to buy a new desktop just for one game =(

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 17:12

And I'm still trying to find out why the DirectDX 9.0c won't load off the H5 disk.

For a game I'm not all that impressed by from playing the demo, I'm going through an awful lot of expense and irritation to get it to be playable. Were it not for Freelance thinking that I'll enjoy it once I get used to the new aspects I'd be taking it back.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 17:21

Bethel wrote:And I'm still trying to find out why the DirectDX 9.0c won't load off the H5 disk.
Do you have SP2 instaled? I had to format to get DX 9.0c on the PC.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 17:30

ThunderTitan wrote:
Bethel wrote:And I'm still trying to find out why the DirectDX 9.0c won't load off the H5 disk.
Do you have SP2 instaled? I had to format to get DX 9.0c on the PC.

What's SP2? But I'm pretty sure I don't have it.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 17:31

For a game I'm not all that impressed by from playing the demo, I'm going through an awful lot of expense and irritation to get it to be playable. Were it not for Freelance thinking that I'll enjoy it once I get used to the new aspects I'd be taking it back.
You don't have to get it off the CD... you can download it too!

Get DirectX 9.0c here.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 17:43

Wolfshanze wrote:

You don't have to get it off the CD... you can download it too!

Get DirectX 9.0c here.
Since I have it from my Oblivion game, but still get that pesky d3dx9_25.dll error, I'm presuming there's more to it than just having the current DirectDX loaded.
It won't even finish loading the DirectDX from the DVD (American 'limited' edition), and when I try to play the game I get the same error. Won't load, won't play, and I'm out $65US.

On the other hand, I'm the new Arch-Mage, and have saved Tamriel from Mehrunes Dagon.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 18:24

Bethel wrote:What's SP2? But I'm pretty sure I don't have it.
Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Right click on My Computer/Proprieties. It should tell you what SP you have.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 18:29

ThunderTitan wrote:
Bethel wrote:What's SP2? But I'm pretty sure I don't have it.
Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Right click on My Computer/Proprieties. It should tell you what SP you have.
No, it just gives me options for my Task Bar and Start Menu. However, my husband keeps things pretty up-to-date, and I've only had this computer for about a month. Does that help? (Bought it to play TES: Oblivion.)

(1st Edit)
From DXDiag:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: ER900AA-ABA a1430n
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 482MB used, 1880MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Does it matter that I have XP Pro?

(2nd Edit)
Oh, wait - there it is - Service Pack 2.

Question stands - does it matter that it's XP Pro?

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 29 May 2006, 18:43

my husband keeps things pretty up-to-date, and I've only had this computer for about a month.
Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been out for some time and is pretty "standard" fare for WinXP owners.

If you purchased the computer NEW a month ago, and/or if you have automatic updating on your computer, you probably already have SP2... (not that it's needed to play HOMMV, but you probably have it anyways).

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 18:45

Messages crossing in transit - see my new question. ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:07

Wolfshanze wrote:[
Service Pack 2 (SP2) has been out for some time and is pretty "standard" fare for WinXP owners.
It also stops you from instaling DX 9.0c. Or more like fails to recognize it (the version nr was 9.0c, just didn't see it as such). If her 9.0c is broken then she might not be able to fix it because of it.

Doesn't matter if it's Pro or not.

Bethel
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Bethel » 29 May 2006, 19:10

So what do I do now? Obviously, I've installed 9.0c (see DX Diag above) and have had no problem running Oblivion. And even if H5 didn't recognize it as already being on the drive, why wouldn't it load from the DVD?

I'm so confused...
:|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 May 2006, 19:26

I don't really know what to tell you. Because DX9.0 has instaled on my PC too, it just didn't reconize it. And it told the games I didn't have it. I remember having 1 game that said it required 9.0c that worked anyway. I eventualy formated and instaled Win without SP2.

But maybe you can just get a new .dll and paste it over the bad one. I have no ideea beyond that. Anyone else?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”