Could someone please tell me if the AI cheats on Normal?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Could someone please tell me if the AI cheats on Normal?

Unread postby ioticus » 22 May 2006, 00:01

I've been reading disturbing reports about the AI getting massive resource advantages. I want to play at a difficulty level where the AI does not get advantages and plays to the best of its ability. Only then can I see if the AI is decent. If such a level does not exist, then I was fooled again and bought the game thinking the AI was good, just like in Heroes 4 :(

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 22 May 2006, 22:51

In current v1.0 and in demo - yes, it cheats even on normal.

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 23 May 2006, 02:08

MistWeaver wrote:In current v1.0 and in demo - yes, it cheats even on normal.
How do you know this and can you tell me exactly what cheats it gets? Thanks.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 23 May 2006, 02:21

You can see how the computer cheats by using the thieves guild to check out the computer's resources every turn.

Hambone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hambone » 23 May 2006, 03:54

frankly i dont mind if the AI gets resource bonuses so long as they present a steady challenge, with a relatively fair degree of balance, and are obligated to achieve the same objectives as the human player and in the same way (for example, taking time to check resources, explore the map, collecting artifacts, etc.).

in otherwords, as long as it looks like the AI is playing the same game I am and is capable of responding to my strategies effectively *without* using the same simple formula over and over again (and hence becoming predictable), i'm not going to worry too much.

I am however encouraged that Fabrice said the AI would be updated as necessary. This tells me that Ubi is commited to turning out a solid game.

"The adding features part depends on the end of the patch plan." -- Fabrice Cambounet

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 23 May 2006, 04:02

Heck I'd like to finally get the game ... unfortunately UBI / FedEx hasn't bothered to deliver it yet.

While I understand those people that just want a challenge I am forced to agree that I'd feel jipped if the AI gets large enough bonuses [on normal] that it doesn't really need to bother with mines. If on top of that it gets things like creature bonuses then I'd have to be fairly upset.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 23 May 2006, 10:02

Hambone wrote: I am however encouraged that Fabrice said the AI would be updated as necessary.
Do you have a link to that??

Khel.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 10:43

Maybe you'd feel better while playing Heroes V with this "computer cheats" T-shirt:

http://www.jinx.com/scripts/details.asp?productID=457

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 25 May 2006, 23:39

ioticus wrote:
Through the thief guild or script messages. The bonus is 10000 gold/day. But it does not receive it every turn, and never in the begining.. rather in later phases of the game.

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 25 May 2006, 23:41

MistWeaver wrote:
ioticus wrote:
Through the thief guild or script messages. The bonus is 10000 gold/day. But it does not receive it every turn, and never in the begining.. rather in later phases of the game.
Damn, I wish I could cancel my order now :(

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 26 May 2006, 00:31

ioticus wrote: Damn, I wish I could cancel my order now :(
I dont think you should. Of course AI is one of the major things, but not the whole game. Furthermore it is far more better that in H4.

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 26 May 2006, 01:00

Why in the hell would they release a game in which on the lowest setting you start with more resources than the AI but it gets massive cheats as the game progresses? It makes no effing sense. There *needs* to be a setting in which you and the AI start off equal and it doesn't get cheats.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 May 2006, 01:09

Yeah, there really should be. Cheating is fine on the higher difficulties, but cheating on all levels shouldn't be necessary if you have an ok AI.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Return to “Heroes V-VI”