Heroes 5 Musical Score

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Heroes 5 Musical Score

Unread postby innokenti » 21 May 2006, 11:51

There is a lot things to criticise and praise etc etc depending on what we like.

What we have forgotten to discuss (and I suspect because it causes no grief at all) is the trully wonderful score that Heroes has once again presented us with! Many thanks to King and Romero.

I think the tracks certainly deserve a lot of praise because not only do they fit in fantastically with the Heroes tradition of music they also fit in specifically with HeroesV. I like the fact that there are certain themes that are noticeable throughout many of the tracks which has given it all a tighter feel. More like a movie soundtrack really.

Also, I don't know if it is my ears playing up or not but if you listen to the credits track (just find the .ogg file in the game directory) then right at the end you can hear a modified theme from the Sorceress Town of Heroes II. Which is very shiny indeed!

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 21 May 2006, 12:15

In my opinion the overall music falls a bit behind Heroes 3, and Heroes 3 falls behind Heroes 2. But that's just me.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 21 May 2006, 12:40

I'd agree to a certain degree. The town music in Heroes II was amazing, and there were several tunes for each town (rather than subsequently 1). But III, IV and V all have terrain music and loads of other stuff. I've really liked particular bits in each, if they were combined... they would be the ultimate. To be honest though, nothing quite beats the tunes of IV's grass.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 21 May 2006, 12:54

I believe there actually are a few notes from H4's grass theme in one of the adventure map themes in H5. ;)
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 21 May 2006, 13:11

Hmm, didn't notice that before, but you're right!

I do wish there was more singing though. It seems that only Haven and the main theme have any singing in them. I feel a little cheated.

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 21 May 2006, 13:14

Infiltrator wrote:In my opinion the overall music falls a bit behind Heroes 3, and Heroes 3 falls behind Heroes 2. But that's just me.
Exactly my thought.
The music in this game is, like the terrain all to similar. Needs more variation.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 21 May 2006, 13:17

Haven is all about the church of the dragon and stuff, so they would be entitled to having a choir. The other factions don't have any reason for singing opera ;)

I've only heard the music in the demo and in the themes released on the official site, but I like every bit of it. Especially a certain part in the Inferno town theme that sounds like the "Wicked Witch of the West" theme from the Wizard of Oz.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 21 May 2006, 13:29

At least nobody can complain about: "Noo! They should have gotten hold of the same people who did the music in earlier games!" :-D

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 May 2006, 13:53

The music is nice.One of the very few ellements I like.

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 21 May 2006, 13:55

So far I've really like what I've seen in the demo. Its really great that towns have their own unique battle, dwelling, win, loss tracks all based on their central town theme.

Time will tell if I end up liking the Heroes V soundtrack more than Heroes III. The only thing that bothers me is some really heavy notes used in tracks for some of the evil factions, they really grate and annoy me at times.
Last edited by Kaboth on 29 May 2006, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 21 May 2006, 14:00

H2 has never been surpassed in original and quality music score for the towns, and the terraign music in both H2 and H3 were pretty good.

I still have the music of both of those games saved (in-fact, I transfered H2 music into H3). Maybe there is/will-be a way to put whatever music you want into H5.

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 21 May 2006, 14:11

I have all the music diligently saved from all the Heroes games. In my playlist. Since it is awesome.

LuckyDragon - sure, but that doesn't mean other towns can't have their singers too.

It should be possible to play around with your music between the games since in HV all the music is just in .ogg format in the game directory. Might see what I can do...

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 21 May 2006, 14:17

There's no problem replacing the music, but as others, I just play the music I want in winamp, I have already played the H2 music alot when playing H5.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 21 May 2006, 20:15

I, too, think HOMM2's music is the best in the series. Especially the music in the expansion (Price of Loyalty). That Sorceress tune is just beautiful!!

One that has eluded me over the years is the music for HOMM1. I'd love to have that one too, simpler but evocative. Does anyone know how if rips/soundtrack/mp3 exist for those tracks?

Khel.

pepak
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby pepak » 21 May 2006, 21:40

I have ordered the collector's edition of the game for its soundtrack. I don't expect to actually play the game at all, given my bad experience with both the beta and the demo. But I liked the music samples on the official web.

A side comment to those praising H3 music: I have the soundtrack to H3 (a pressed audio CD, not MP3s ripped from the game) and have listened to it a number of times, only to conclude that it is a nice music for the first two or three listens but very average after that. I sincerely hope it won't be the case with H5 soundtrack (it wasn't with H4).

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 21 May 2006, 21:42

Wow. That's a lot of money for a game you don't want to play. I hope you really really enjoy the soundtrack!

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 23 May 2006, 00:48

innokenti wrote:http://www.igromania.ru/music/?hmm_dbone

That's the only place I know.
Thanks I've been looking for the HoMMI soundtrack for years.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 23 May 2006, 14:46

Transplant achieved!

Previous HoMM music incorporated into HV.

Heroes 2 has donated town themes for Sylvan(Sorceress) and Necropolis(Necromance).

Heroes 3 has donated all the terrain music (i.e. rough, dirt, swamp) except grass. Also the inferno town theme.

Heroes 4 has donated grass terrain (excellent piece of work) and the dungeon town theme (taken from Asylum).

I've left the rest as it is - I like the HV Haven/Academy music as it is and the AI themes are pleasant and main-menu etc is also very good.

If you want to do the same I can recommend Audacity for converting mp3 to ogg (unless you have something better).

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 23 May 2006, 14:53

The Dungeon theme is different from the Asylum theme in Heroes 4, although it is similar ish sounding to the beta track.

However, I'm suprised nobody has noticed that there is some heroes 2 music in the Academy theme mid-way through (it was in the beta as well - The this is my god, my lord theme)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”