Annoying thing I noticed

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
kingu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Annoying thing I noticed

Unread postby kingu » 20 May 2006, 13:41

Well, I've been rocking away for a 2nd day now and one thing that's starting to get me worked up is during combat you can see on the "order of battle" bar how much damage you inflict on an enemy stack before it shows on the battle field.
For instance if the enemy stack has 50 Cerberus and you attack them with your, I don't know, Paladins and kill 27 of them then before the actual hit is made and -27 shows up, the order bar already shows 23 Cerberus left. If you happen to kill the entire stack then there will be no number on the stack icon on the bar.
I try to ignore it but it's too hard. I think it would be more fun/interesting if the stack count changed after and not before the attack.
Maybe something for the patch to fix?

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 20 May 2006, 14:27

Yeah, that little thing bugged me too. Dumb thing is that in this case the initiative bar is too fast, but when choosing wait or defend, you can input commands for later units before the earlier unit's portrait has disappeared. So there it's too slow.

Other small things that bug me are the spelling and grammar errors. You can tell it's been written by people who can't speak English at a native language-level.

Oh, and the missing artifact description. But I found a mod for that.

The game kicks ass, but these small things bug me.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 20 May 2006, 14:50

Where can this mod be found?

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 20 May 2006, 15:04

I found a link on the heroescommunity forums. http://www.dagobah.sitefr.info/heroes5/ ... esc_en.pak

Unpack it with WinZip or WinRAR into the data folder. I'm actually not sure if it works, because I haven't run into the previously descriptionless artifacts yet.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 May 2006, 15:13

Continuity wrote: Other small things that bug me are the spelling and grammar errors. You can tell it's been written by people who can't speak English at a native language-level.
Yeah. It doesn't interfere with the game per se, but it gives off a rather unprofessional feel. To Ubi/Nival: I'd be willing to remedy that for a modest price. :devil:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 20 May 2006, 15:35

I just don't understand, how come they cannot find a native English speaker to make the translations? It's totally incomprehensible! :wall: :bug:
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 May 2006, 15:43

Are we talking about mistakes like "I are a goodest english speak", or just typos?

Because typos can happen to anyone, and some can easily slip by in a game with a lof of text (especially if you're in a hurry to get it released...).
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 20 May 2006, 15:52

OK, I'll give them small typos. But people have been finding errors like "Isabel disides", "simulatanteous" and such. These I think are not done by a native.
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 15:55

Typos, errors, old/wrong names in descriptions/dialogues. Haven't these people heard of a spell checker.

And the bloody initiative bar seem to get out of whack if you fight too long.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 20 May 2006, 15:56

Well, mostly it's the funky grammar.

Like "[Person] must get a ship to and sail to [Island]." or "[Person] isn't so far, but it's not over yet." (referring to how far away that person is). I can't remember any more exact, but there's a bunch of them. Especially the text-only "events" sound weird.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 20 May 2006, 19:43

I actually have no problem with the initiative bar updating how many creatures you kill early. It updating slow when waiting\defending\etc is annoying though.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 20 May 2006, 21:10

theGryphon wrote:I just don't understand, how come they cannot find a native English speaker to make the translations? It's totally incomprehensible! :wall: :bug:
It's beyond me as well. You don't even need a native speaker of English, just a (relatively) competent translator or something to that effect.

It's not just the spelling mistakes, what is more annoying are the awkward turns of phrase.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 May 2006, 21:50

Ethric wrote:Are we talking about mistakes like "I are a goodest english speak", or just typos?

Because typos can happen to anyone, and some can easily slip by in a game with a lof of text (especially if you're in a hurry to get it released...).
If someone disides to do something,its not a typo :disagree:

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 20 May 2006, 22:25

Save before a battle. Fight the battle and remember all your moves. Reload the save, fight the battle again using the exact same moves as you did the last time and you'll get the exact same results. Seriously, everything will be the same, luck, morale, damage, everything. I've tested it at least a dozen times.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 22:40

And people were complaining that it was too random... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 May 2006, 23:00

vicheron wrote:Save before a battle. Fight the battle and remember all your moves. Reload the save, fight the battle again using the exact same moves as you did the last time and you'll get the exact same results. Seriously, everything will be the same, luck, morale, damage, everything. I've tested it at least a dozen times.
So?We know that the heroes before preserved random seed.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 May 2006, 06:32

Indeed.

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 21 May 2006, 06:40

Well hey, about the terrible English throughout the campaigns and custom scenarios.. why don't a few english CH'ers divide up all the campaign maps and scenarios among themselves, and fix all the spelling and grammar. Then have Angelspit or somebody send all the corrections in a nice, tidy, little word file. Really, it wouldn't be all that hard.. and I bet if we put the corrections right in their lap, there's a good chance they'd implement it in a future patch. We'd be giving them an easy opportunity to continue to say "hey.. we listen to the fans, and their contributions really do have an effect."

I'd be glad to help with such a project. I won't have the game until the 25th, though.

Sikon
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Sikon » 21 May 2006, 06:50

Then have Angelspit or somebody send all the corrections in a nice, tidy, little word file.
The Word format (or any proprietary format) is evil™. Send them as a nice, tidy, little PDF.

Blue_Camel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Blue_Camel » 21 May 2006, 06:51

word file, generic text file, pdf.. that wasn't the main point :)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”