Something wrong about the Spectral Dragon

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Should the Spectral Dragon have an "incorporeal" ability?

Poll ended at 19 Jun 2006, 00:00

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 22

Raspyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Raspyn » 20 May 2006, 02:27

If anything must be added to this unit... I don't think incorporeal should be it. Incorporeal can be horribly powerful, if one is lucky. Perhaps an aura effect similar to the nightmare's fright aura could be applied, or something that's passive, but always on.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 May 2006, 06:59

DaemianLucifer wrote:No you wouldnt,since it says that the damage is reduced by a % of how many evaded.So basically,damage is reduced by 50%,which means that you can still kill more then half of a stack.But I like the idea of independant misses better.Although,this one migh work in a similar fashion:reduces damage by 50%.
In that case, why not simply have a 50% reduction, without the silly randomness? The end result will be so similar that it won't matter.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 May 2006, 08:51

Gaidal Cain wrote:In that case, why not simply have a 50% reduction, without the silly randomness? The end result will be so similar that it won't matter.
Thats what I said in the end,didnt I?And yes,50% damage reduction is much better then the current incoporeal ability.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 09:11

What's the chace of missing for the incorporial ability? I rather prefer it the current way. Making a creature waste it's turn attacking the Ghost seems more usefull then dmg reduction.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 May 2006, 12:09

The problem is these 100% avoidance abilities like block in H4 and incorporeal in H5 is that they have a tendency to appear to work so that the enemy blocks your heavy hitters more often than your weak stacks. Vice versa if it's your blockers.

It probably isn't the case, but it's damned annoying nonetheless :)

If it worked on a per creature basis however, it would statistically in the long run be the same as +50% defence (or as close as makes no difference), but in your day to day battles it wouldn't work that way as usually your stacks are not big enough to constitue a reliable statistical pool. So you shouldn't expect with a stack of 10 spectral dragons to see 5 of them blocking every time.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 12:25

If the % is 50% it's basicaly 1 out of 2 hits miss. It's nor really that random.

Having dmg reduction isn't a real ability, you might as well give them better stats.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 May 2006, 12:46

ThunderTitan wrote: Having dmg reduction isn't a real ability, you might as well give them better stats.
It wasn't in H4. Since they've probably gone back to the old A/D system, here it would be a difference, if it wouldn't avoid spells as well...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 22 May 2006, 00:31

50% damage reduction??!!!

you've got to be kidding??? please??

I mean you get three of these suckers a week!!!! i did a quick comparison of hp and damage versus black dragon (as in 3 sd and 2 bd) and it is interesting

540 HP and 75-105 damage for the necro
480 HP and 90-140 damage for the dungeon

att and def and initiative not dissimilar

sure bd had magic resist, but sd can be buffed as well as debuffed

now add 50% damage reduction to a sd ... holy crap - the best unit in the game bar none!!! unless you can cast an implosion on them before they can act .... geez!!!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”