Post your opinions regarding the creatures!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Post your opinions regarding the creatures!

Unread postby Purple Sky » 18 May 2006, 16:28

Post your opinions regarding the pluses and weaknesses of the creatures.

1. Blood Maidens - In the beginning i found that i can destroy the creeps with rediculous ease. Their great speed, initation, damage and strike-and-retreat ability makes them basically owerpowered archers. Combine them with the shooter Scout/assassin and your dungeon hero's destructive magic and clearing out the random enemies will be an ease.

2. Vampires - The high initiative and speed along with no retaliation makes them extremely dangearus. When they are in large numbers, their regeneration makes them difficult to kill.

3. I found that all of the 5th level casters are a bit owerpowered. Once you can build them, you wont have any problems with the random enemies.

4. The 6th level shooter and caster Shadow Matriarch causes immense damage. You cant kill them with your shooters because they have 90 hitpoints.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 18 May 2006, 16:44

5. The Gargoyle is STILL the ugliest unit in the game... it needs to be redone!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 16:46

6- give the djinns bigger heads and smaller hands! By that I mean normal sized, not just the straight vice versa of what they are now, like oversized head and tiny hands.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 18 May 2006, 16:52

I have a special respect for the Cerberi. Quick, attack multiple enemies and no enemy retaliation. In large enough numbers - barking.

Among Sylvan creatures I've found no clear leader. The hunters are good as always and the druids are okay... but the rest doesn't really stand out. Unicorns don't pack enough HP and treants... well, damn useless unless you're looking JUST to survive.

Pugsley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pugsley » 18 May 2006, 17:12

Special note goes to the Hydra imo, if you get assault teleport they are awsome, same goes for treants, however both units are pretty subpar without this ability, but 125 health on a tier 5 makes the hydra's something special indeed.

The champions are also incredably powerful, if not downright over powered, quite splatty for a tier6 melee class, but they do rediculous damage, and if you have archangels to back them up with ressurect they can really turn a battle single handed.

Another unit worth mentioning is actually the familiar,utterly useless at punching stuff, and very splatty however on a good stack they can drain upwards of 30 mana a turn, in a castle defence this can really turn a battle as the hero plays a major part in a siege, and without mana they are severely weakened.

Royal Griffins are another unit that is borderline broken, their battle dive ability will wipe out a single stack of archers virtually every time, and their unlimited retaliation makes it very hard to gang up on them to take them out before they battle dive again, you can counter battle dive to a degree by moving all your units, but thats wasting so many turns that the griffons are doing massive damage just by wasting your turns, particularly effective against Inferno because their succubi are the backbone of any inferno army, and if they die your crippled.

PeskySheep
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PeskySheep » 18 May 2006, 17:13

Horned Demon : Unfortunatly useless (except as an average meatshield, but rarely targetted by the enemy). Just like zombies, they never really get to shine. The bombing ability of the Horned Overseer sounded interesting, but never really got to use it. I either win or loose the fights before I can.

Gargoyles : I haven't played the Academy yet, but fighting against them I must say they do an excellent job at neutralizing my ranged creatures. A stack of 100 doesn't hurt much, but is hard to kill. An actual low level unit with some use.

Emerald dragon: I've noticed (just once) that the enemy AI can be tricked into hitting its own creatures, thanks to the acid breath ability of the emerald dragon. I felt like experimenting as I was greatly overwhelmed, and I actually lost the fight, but it was fun to see the enemy's 90+ druids taken down by their own 19 emerald dragons, with just a few gated imps of mine standing in the way.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 18 May 2006, 17:27

What about the unit looks? Did they change back the Treant to the way it used to be in the beta? Did they modify any units? Did you notice any new abilities or some changes in unit statistics?

Oh, and I wouldn't be myself if I didn't ask this: did they changed unicorns back to their original look silver --> upg. orange/gold?

Just curious :D
Last edited by dragonn on 18 May 2006, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 17:33

The treants are the same four legged insect trees, but hey they looks at least unique in a good way IMO.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 18:03

Lvl 7s have lower initiative and speed then some lvl 1s.Ok,it is done for the sake of the balance,so you wont just disregard your low levels,but it is downright stupid!Why isnt a devil able to cros the whole map?He is teleporting for gods sake!That means that he should have infinite range!And how can a cerbery walk further than an angel could fly fly?! 8| :disagree: It is ok that smaller creatures have higher initiative,but not higher speed as well.

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 18 May 2006, 18:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:!Why isnt a devil able to cros the whole map?He is teleporting for gods sake!That means that he should have infinite range!
About the Devil: I think their much weaker now, they were wronged IMO.
No "no retailation", slow, and they won't even decrease enemies morale (which is logical when you face a Devil in combat)!? And that goes for other 7th levels. Not only they are much weaker, but they are very expensive, non-upgraded are 2 times more expensive and 2 times weaker from what they were in HIII!
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 18 May 2006, 18:45

Yeah, the Devils just seem to be larger meat units... slow, all melee, no specials. What gives?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2006, 18:53

The Griffons actualy retaliate twice in a row when attacked by a Minotaur. The Blood Maidens have huge initiative.

The Unicorns are orange/gold -> silver/white! Makes more sense as the upgrade is called a Silver Unicorn.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 18 May 2006, 18:55

Every town has a punching bag unit that AI always targets, like in Heroes 3 but even worse.

Academy has the djinn/djinn sultan. Everyone hates the djinns and want to kill them off.

Dungeon has the blood maiden/fury. With the blood maiden/fury's low growth, you'll probably never have enough to do decent damage unless you leave them out of combat all the time and save them for the big fights.

Inferno has the hell hound/cerberus followed by the imp/familiar. At least you have two creatures that the AI targets roughly equally, plus you have Nightmares, which is as fast as the Cerberus, to support them with its frightful aura.

Necropolis has the ghost/spectre. They may actually be the best cannon fodders due to their incorporeal ability, which can be improved with soldier's luck I believe, and the fact that you can resurrect a lot of them with the raise dead spell.

Sylvan has the pixie/sprite. They're fast enough to do hit and runs against most walkers but keep them away from shooters and casters.

I'm not exactly sure which Have creature is targetted more often, I think it's the griffin.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 18:56

Wolfshanze wrote:5. The Gargoyle is STILL the ugliest unit in the game... it needs to be redone!
Is there anyone that didnt complain when they saw them?Why werent they redone?Hwo in their right mind can find those look good? :disagree:
Wolfshanze wrote:Yeah, the Devils just seem to be larger meat units... slow, all melee, no specials. What gives?
Balance at all cost :disagree:
ThunderTitan wrote:The Griffons actualy retaliate twice in a row when attacked by a Minotaur. The Blood Maidens have huge initiative.
This sounds like a bug.
vicheron wrote:Academy has the djinn/djinn sultan. Everyone hates the djinns and want to kill them off.
They are so ugly,that no one can stand looking at them :devil:

UnderMind
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby UnderMind » 18 May 2006, 19:07

I think that the inferno's best unit is their pit lord :)
good hp and good damage both with spells and melee.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 19:10

UnderMind wrote:I think that the inferno's best unit is their pit lord :)
good hp and good damage both with spells and melee.
Their only flaw is their speed.

Purple Sky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Purple Sky » 18 May 2006, 19:44

By the way, did anyone notice how innovative and simply COOL the design of the liches is? Possibly the best done creature in the whole game. Anyone agree?

And yeah, the devils are weak. Too weak. Not only are their stats crap but their initiative is small and they *cant* teleport anywhere. But i guess they are balanced out with the powerful succubi and fiends. Fiends are, imo, the most powerful unit on the 6th tier. With succubi you basically have two high level area effect shooters.

And whats up with the devil discrimination anyway? In the menu a devil is

And yeah, the gargoyle needs to be redone. How could they ever have approved that design? Djinnis are okay.

cooper82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cooper82 » 18 May 2006, 20:13

vicheron wrote:I'm not exactly sure which Have creature is targetted more often, I think it's the griffin.
Marksman and Champion (er... Paladin?). These are the Most Wanted by the AI. Anyway, Haven has great troops, but I find the Squire's speed and initiative too low. perhaps a speed of 6 would be better. And what about the double strike?

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 18 May 2006, 20:43

It bothers me that Nival/Ubi didn't response for players demands about Treants. Well, if it goes for me that was rather unimportant, but I did like the first version. It's a pity that they won't listen to gamers...

I will not say anything about the unicorns because I'm in minority here :D:D:D But there were many voices about changing back the design of Treants...but someone was deaf...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2006, 21:28

dragonn wrote: But there were many voices about changing back the design of Treants...but someone was deaf...
Or afraid of lawsuits.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”