My quick review

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 07:35

theGryphon wrote:I don't know if it's a memory leak or not but I know that the game slows down after having played like 3 hours. I remember once I played a HII hotseat for 22 hours straight (that was arguably the best day of my life :)). I hope I'll be able to do it with HV. So, please Fabrice/Ubi/Nival optimize the code. Damn I thought the game would fly with my system :sad:
Same problemo here, after 3 hours or so, it takes quite a while to load, save or quit to desktop etc. This need to be fixed!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 08:51

Cold Fingers wrote:I think u misunderstood me :)
The game works very good i have no performance related issues that affect gameplay, but the fact is the game doesnt look that good to have this kind of sys req imho.

Also, I think main reason for 3D in TBS's is need to attract new players.Ofcourse old fans fill buy the game even if it looked like crap and they know that, but they want attract new ppl to the game, the ones that maybe never played HoMM (if those ppl acctually exist :D )
Well they did say that they are concentrating on making the game more appealing to bigger crowds,so this isnt a surprise.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 18 May 2006, 09:23

Ok, it seems that raising the resolution gives good effects on performances.

Now the maps I couldnt play are playable...still very choppy, but at least playable!!!

I raised from 800 X 600 to 1024 X "cant remember", and not only the visual (and the text) improved, but the game runs smoother...
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 09:28

Romanov77 wrote:Ok, it seems that raising the resolution gives good effects on performances.

Now the maps I couldnt play are playable...still very choppy, but at least playable!!!

I raised from 800 X 600 to 1024 X "cant remember", and not only the visual (and the text) improved, but the game runs smoother...
8| usually you do the reverse in order to make the game run smoother.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 18 May 2006, 09:33

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Romanov77 wrote:Ok, it seems that raising the resolution gives good effects on performances.

8| usually you do the reverse in order to make the game run smoother.
Mysteries of computers....

Anyway Im rather happy with the game now :D

Still...It can clearly be optimized....

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 18 May 2006, 10:44

Wolfshanze wrote: Heck, even AoE-III requires a lot more hardware then HOMMV... What do you guys want for hardware requirements? Solitaire-level?!??!
Uh ... AoE III runs perfectly on my machine. Heroes V, even on the lowest settings, is downright unplayable for me on a few maps (even though the demo worked fine). Do you really not see any problem with that? I mean, it looks good ... but it doesn't look THAT good.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 18 May 2006, 11:01

Same for me for AoE3...higher req than H5, but I get undoubtly better performances...

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 May 2006, 12:43

For what it's worth:

I have an 18-month old system (and it was a $1000 system at the time- not top-of-the-line):
P4-3 GHz
1GB RAM
128MB x300 video card

The demo ran decently, but only at low quality, with many features turned off.
The full game runs perfectly, and much smoother than the demo at higher resolution and high graphics quality, and most features turned on.

I think the graphics are meant to be at a certain resolution, and if you go to a lower resolution, then the graphics are modified in-game, rather than having a lower-resolution graphics set. That would explain why higher resolutions work better (I set mine to 1024x768 when I first installed, so I don't know if a lower res would hamper performance.)

Anyway, since my computer was a decent, but by no means great system when I first bought it in October 2004, I think that they definitely succeeded in getting it to run on "older" systems.

Khelavaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Khelavaster » 18 May 2006, 12:51

What I´m gleaning from all this is that Nvidia cards might have got the short end of the stick.... I, too have AoE3 installed along with several other games and definitely HOMMV is the worst performer of the bunch...

Khelavaster

Continuity
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Continuity » 18 May 2006, 14:25

All the people having issues, try what I said earlier in the thread. Set the resolution to the same as your desktop resolution, i.e the one you use in Windows. Seems like it helped Romanov.

Or just try different resolutions, lower isn't always better.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 18 May 2006, 14:49

That's REALLY weird... you must be living in Bizzaro-World... because that's reverse of what is supposed to happen!

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 14:58

Yeah its pretty backwards, but hey no reason to complain about that one :-D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 May 2006, 18:41

Wolfshanze wrote: That's REALLY weird... you must be living in Bizzaro-World... because that's reverse of what is supposed to happen!
Not necesarly. Depends on how it's optimized. I remember that in Demon Stone, a console port, you had to ride in a raft, and if you didn't have the resolution set to the console resolution the raft wouldn't sit straight on the water and would eventualy get stuck on the bottom of the river. Damned weirdest thing I ever saw.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 18:45

I just remembered that I had this weird thing happen to me in morrowind.When I changed the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x768 it worked better.

cooper82
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby cooper82 » 18 May 2006, 19:09

Hi all!

First, a short review. I was afraid that my computer was too old to run this great game. (It's better than H4 but not as good as H3 (yet)). I've just finished the 3rd map of Haven Campaign. The gameplay is very pulsing, and not as slow as in H4. I was happy to see the Griffin back by the humans. With a few updates, this game CAN be good like H3.

I don't have to complain at all. My system is: AMD Duron 1.7 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 64 MB GeForce4 Titanium 4200...

I hope you understood my english...

Bye, Cooper

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 19 May 2006, 06:14

ThunderTitan wrote:
Wolfshanze wrote: That's REALLY weird... you must be living in Bizzaro-World... because that's reverse of what is supposed to happen!
Not necesarly. Depends on how it's optimized. I remember that in Demon Stone, a console port, you had to ride in a raft, and if you didn't have the resolution set to the console resolution the raft wouldn't sit straight on the water and would eventualy get stuck on the bottom of the river. Damned weirdest thing I ever saw.
It might be a proof of bad programming by Nival...

Similarly, there's "The Call of Cthulhu: Dark corners of Earth" whose final part cant be completeted on higher resolution because your characters runs slower! :D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”