Rumor on the street... is it true? (only 6 scenarios)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 May 2006, 18:31

Anyway, now we know that there aren't many maps because they didn't have an editor to work with. Not like it's a good excuse, but enough as an explanation.
Image Spiritu Insanum

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 14 May 2006, 18:33

I've always wondered: how do you make a map without an editor?... And this is not sarcasm: that little programmer in me has his own questions that just pop out from time to time.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 May 2006, 18:48

Tehnicaly if you can modify code in WordPad then WordPad is an editor. So you can't. The editor ur thinking of is a GUI that makes it easier to make the map. So there's an editor, it's just not user-friendly.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 14 May 2006, 18:51

Silly me. :jester:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 14 May 2006, 19:15

If the maps are good you can play them many times. There are some H3, H4 maps that I've played a lot of times, and some, I think, that I didn't play even once :D

Those couple of maps that will be included in the game should be enough for the begining, and when the editor will be released there will be a lot fan-made maps to play...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 May 2006, 20:44

Wildbear wrote:Anyway, now we know that there aren't many maps because they didn't have an editor to work with. Not like it's a good excuse, but enough as an explanation.
There could of course be one that's so primitive that it couldn't be released now. I think I remember seeing a screenshot of one earlier...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 May 2006, 20:46

Gaidal Cain wrote: There could of course be one that's so primitive that it couldn't be released now. I think I remember seeing a screenshot of one earlier...
If it isn't user-friendly for us, it isn't much more for them, that's what I meant. Of course they necessarily had some kind of editor, but not a good enough one to make a huge amount of maps.
Image Spiritu Insanum

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 May 2006, 20:55

I dug up that screenshot. It can be found here. It actually looks quite OK to me, so I don't know why it couldn't have been released with the game. Stability issues, perhaps.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 14 May 2006, 21:00

Ok, so they have no excuse for putting so few single player maps in the original release :devious:
Image Spiritu Insanum

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 14 May 2006, 21:25

Gaidal Cain wrote:I dug up that screenshot. It can be found here. It actually looks quite OK to me, so I don't know why it couldn't have been released with the game. Stability issues, perhaps.
It looks similar to the Heroes IV editor.

SirTimotheus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SirTimotheus » 14 May 2006, 21:42

Eternor wrote:It looks similar to the Heroes IV editor.
That would explain it. If it's similar to anything in Heroes IV, it's "bad," so it must be changed to be more H3-like before anyone can use it.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 15 May 2006, 01:17

SirTimotheus wrote:
That would explain it. If it's similar to anything in Heroes IV, it's "bad," so it must be changed to be more H3-like before anyone can use it.
No actually the H4 fanboys need to stop whining and complaing and playing the victim and stop making EVERYTHING be a "oh, woe is me, people don't like H4".

Okay we get it...

H4 fanboys, please get over the persecution-pity-me I like H4 so everything is so horrible for me, I have to whine and compain about H3 overshadowing my game.

Sheesh... GET A LIFE!

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 15 May 2006, 03:35

Wolfshanze wrote:
SirTimotheus wrote:
No actually the H4 fanboys need to stop whining and complaing and playing the victim and stop making EVERYTHING be a "oh, woe is me, people don't like H4".

Okay we get it...

H4 fanboys, please get over the persecution-pity-me I like H4 so everything is so horrible for me, I have to whine and compain about H3 overshadowing my game.

Sheesh... GET A LIFE!
All I see is Eternor saying it looks like the H4 editor and then SirTimotheus bagging everything to do with H4. Then I see some imbecile ripping on anyone that might likes H4 more than H3. Best you go lie down Wolfshanze as it seems that something has affected your ability to think.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 15 May 2006, 05:34

Ryder wrote: All I see is Eternor saying it looks like the H4 editor and then SirTimotheus bagging everything to do with H4. Then I see some imbecile ripping on anyone that might likes H4 more than H3. Best you go lie down Wolfshanze as it seems that something has affected your ability to think.
Actually, the people he's ripping on are those who refuse to believe that H5 has any good points because it didn't have everything from H4. You know, the people who maintain that the H5 skill system has nothing in common with H4's, and that the initiative system has more in common with H3 than H4, etc.

There's recently been a wave of people who do nothing but make exaggerated comments about how bad H5 is because it isn't H4, but are far more interested in using all caps in their sentences and being sarcastic and grumbling than in actual discussion of Heroes 5. It's seriously affected the tone of the forums; I'm growing less and less inclined to post as the tone degenerates from respect and formal disagreement to ridiculous complaints and endless name-calling.

While it's fine to not like any or all of the Heroes games, the manner in which people choose to communicate it on the forums ought to show respect and restraint.

At any rate, I had to get that off my chest, and now seemed as good a time as any. I'm not sure I'll be posting too much more.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 15 May 2006, 07:13

How do we know, this is true? That the final game is lacking certain things (I love scenarioes, why did you have to go :cry: ?) but no one has got the official final release. The game has been leaked but maybe the leaked version is not the whole game? Could be :D
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Laserluger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Laserluger » 15 May 2006, 08:10

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:The game has been leaked but maybe the leaked version is not the whole game? Could be :D
Yea right :-)

The only difference is that the "leaked" version has the copy-protection
cracked. In most cases this will make the game to run more troublefree
and without the cd (big bonus).

Even tho I buy my games (when they get to an Norwegian shop)
I always use no-cd cracks. Why? It is nothing unethical about it and
with the huge size of HDDs today, nothing ever got deleted. If you
crack the game, most of them will even survive a win-reinstall.

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 15 May 2006, 08:58

Well, it could have been! What my point was, was that the person who leaked the game might not have had access to a more updated version of the game. Now of course I'm aware that I was wrong cause I read the thread from the producer that said all the rumors were true :D
But can't a girl dream? :butterfly:
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Ryder
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Ryder » 15 May 2006, 11:04

Bandobras Took wrote:
Ryder wrote: All I see is Eternor saying it looks like the H4 editor and then SirTimotheus bagging everything to do with H4. Then I see some imbecile ripping on anyone that might likes H4 more than H3. Best you go lie down Wolfshanze as it seems that something has affected your ability to think.
Actually, the people he's ripping on are those who refuse to believe that H5 has any good points because it didn't have everything from H4. You know, the people who maintain that the H5 skill system has nothing in common with H4's, and that the initiative system has more in common with H3 than H4, etc.

There's recently been a wave of people who do nothing but make exaggerated comments about how bad H5 is because it isn't H4, but are far more interested in using all caps in their sentences and being sarcastic and grumbling than in actual discussion of Heroes 5. It's seriously affected the tone of the forums; I'm growing less and less inclined to post as the tone degenerates from respect and formal disagreement to ridiculous complaints and endless name-calling.

While it's fine to not like any or all of the Heroes games, the manner in which people choose to communicate it on the forums ought to show respect and restraint.

At any rate, I had to get that off my chest, and now seemed as good a time as any. I'm not sure I'll be posting too much more.
Oh I see, thanks for the clarifcation and sorry Wolfie.

I'm a H4 'fanboy' and I like most things I've seen in H5 but ofcourse there could be major improvements in some areas. I am very disappointed with the amount of Single/Multiplayer maps however.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 May 2006, 11:14

Bandobras Took wrote:

No,the way I see it Wolfshanze got what he wanted:A clone of HIII(without some of the best elements like hatred between creatures,marvelous graphics,etc)and is angry because there really were some good features in HIV that arent implemented because of the rule.Except for the skill system,nothing else is even similar to HIV(I wonder how did they even manage to put thet in,without fear of someone saying "Hey,its almost like the system in HIV").The initiative thing is new,and imagine that,I like it.Just two things are needed for me to stop mentioning the rule:Flagable windmills and instant exit from battles.Im even ready to neglect the lack of FoW or creature skill description.But come on,even those that hate HIV more then they hate AIDS,must admit that flaging windmills and being able to exit battle(without alt+F4)is a good thing.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 May 2006, 18:33

DaemianLucifer wrote:...even those that hate HIV more then they hate AIDS
:D First time I found the idea of abbreviating the game with a H and roman numerals appropriate. :tsup:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”