Rumor on the street... is it true? (only 6 scenarios)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Rumor on the street... is it true? (only 6 scenarios)

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 14:24

The full game has only six non-campaign scenarios.

As for the campaigns, they must be played in order, the others aren't an option until you complete each campaign before it.

The first two campaigns are Haven and Inferno... the same ones we played in the demo. I want to play the OTHER campaigns first dang-nab-it, not the same two I played in the demo!

Has anyone heard if this is true? Please say it isn't so! Can't wait for the map editor in July.

Also, is the game releasing on the 19th or 23rd? I keep hearing both dates. I'm getting anxious over here!

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 13 May 2006, 14:25

It is true. :devil:
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 15:08

I don't mind having to play the campaigns in strict order, but that amount of scenarios does seem rather small... Since this is a rumour, I hope it's not true. If it is, then I hope that patch will come soon and fix things... and I'm not referring only to the number of scenarios...
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 May 2006, 15:49

There's always people complaining no matter how things are done....

The faction way of telling the story is IMO the best. It's employed in StarCraft and WarCraft III and is great. I also like it since it gradually teaches you about the factions strenghts and weaknesses. I can imagine that you only get to play with lowlvl troops and magic at the beginning of each campaign with cities not being able to upgrade certain dwellings.

There's another rumor about a missing highscore table and that is really disapointing....

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 13 May 2006, 16:56

You can always enter cheats to unlock all campaigns :P

But true, it's not good for a Heroes game to have small number of maps to choose from...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 13 May 2006, 17:33

Especially when it doesn't come with a map editor at launch.
Image Spiritu Insanum

difool
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby difool » 13 May 2006, 17:46

Campaigner wrote:There's always people complaining no matter how things are done....
I think having only 2 choosable initial factions for your campaigns AND only
6 stand-alone maps AND on top of that no map editor to make new maps
are extremely valid reasons to complain. I'm glad my expectations
are so low for this game that nothing of this sort surprises or disappoints me
anymore... [And I voted "no" in the polls asking if you'll buy H5]

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 13 May 2006, 18:05

The rumor said there were only 6 exclusively single-player maps. It also mentioned that the 10 multiplayer maps could also be played in single player mode. Regardless, I think there's plenty to keep people busy until the patch is released.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 18:26

My main concern was mostly wanting to play the Necro or Academy campaign FIRST... you know, something differant.

From what I heard, you MUST play the Haven campaign (completely) to unlock the Inferno campaign... which you then must play completely to unlock the next campaign (which is probably Sylvan or something gay like that). I won't be able to play a Necro campaign for some time after purchasing the game! That's my main concern.

Maybe I just want to jump right in and play the Necro campaign instead of playing four other campaigns first... should be an open option... but I hear it's not!

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 18:33

Well, we must understand that the story plays an important role in the campaign. That's exactly what a campaign's purpose is: to tell a story. Otherwise it would just be a sequence of non-related scenarios, obviously.

You couldn't play Necropolis right away in Heroes 3 either. Quite opposite to H5 and H3, H4 had all options available from the start... Oh my... not that comparison again. "H4=bad" really is everywhere!

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 19:05

uite opposite to H5 and H3, H4 had all options available from the start.
Ah... but the differance here is that Heroes 3 had TONS of stand-alone scenarios to play as any side when it released... Heroes 5.... has six!?!?!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 13 May 2006, 19:42

Sixteen, if the people with the questionable ethics are to be trusted...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 13 May 2006, 19:54

Gaidal Cain wrote:Sixteen, if the people with the questionable ethics are to be trusted...
Considering UBI has said nothing to the contrary.
Hell has frozen over...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:09

Campaigner wrote:The faction way of telling the story is IMO the best. It's employed in StarCraft and WarCraft III and is great. I also like it since it gradually teaches you about the factions strenghts and weaknesses. I can imagine that you only get to play with lowlvl troops and magic at the beginning of each campaign with cities not being able to upgrade certain dwellings.
This is neither starcraf,nor warcraft.Races dont have a completely different way of playing(all of them develop cities,7 levels of upgradable units,etc)so there is no need to gradually learn how to play them.But,who knows,this might turn out to be good.Depends on the story.

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 13 May 2006, 20:11

6*5 Campaign maps

Highlight to read.

Haven-->Inferno-->Necropolis-->Dungeon-->Sylvan-->Academy

6 Single-player (story) maps

10 Normal maps
Last edited by Nebs on 13 May 2006, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 13 May 2006, 20:12

Gaidal Cain wrote:Sixteen, if the people with the questionable ethics are to be trusted...
Let us not talk about ethics here ! Goddamnit !

Ubisoft is about to sell a very flawed and unfinished game for big money ! Considering all the dissapointing information floating around, we can almost be sure that the original release is just a piece of unoriginal junk. It is a shameful clone, with a pile of disgusting marketing topping on it.

Ethics ? :disagree:
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:14

theLuckyDragon wrote:Well, we must understand that the story plays an important role in the campaign. That's exactly what a campaign's purpose is: to tell a story. Otherwise it would just be a sequence of non-related scenarios, obviously.
So what?HIII RoE had a distinct story runing through the campains.And so did SoD.Yet in RoE you could choose between three campains in the very begining,and in SoD between 4.Were those stories bad,or not conected?No,they werent.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 20:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:So what?
"So what" what?

What you quoted does not contain anything to suggest that I thought the RoE and SoD campaigns were bad.

Seriously, I don't understand what you were talking about back there.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:45

@theLuckyDragon

Your quote was justifying the linearity of the HV campaigns.Yet HIII had non-linear campaigns(in a way),but still had a single story,and nut just a bunch of loosely tied scenarios.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 21:04

No, my quote was defining the concept of "campaign".

I was referring to the H5 campaign up to the point where I stopped using the definite article.
Well, we must understand that the story plays an important role in the campaign.
After that I gave what I believe to be an adequate definition of the term, hence the use of the indefinite article.
That's exactly what a campaign's purpose is: to tell a story.
If a campaign (in general) didn't have a story to support it...
... it would just be a sequence of non-related scenarios, obviously.
Don't confuse a campaign (e.g. Long live the Queen) with a series of campaigns (all three initial campaigns).

Return to “Heroes V-VI”