HEROES V good bad and ugly side

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bloodstar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

HEROES V good bad and ugly side

Unread postby Bloodstar » 13 May 2006, 11:55

First, I really like Heroes V overall. I think that Nival with a help of Ubi Soft have done great job... Employing Warlords designer will help also.

Changes are welcome and nice...

What I didn't liked: graphics is not optimized and on my PC there are problem - ok maybe just my PC.

Nival have tendency to screw games that he works... Example is Silent Storm - one of the most annoying thing was that when there is 92 % chence that you will hit someone you cannot hit them sometimes 5 in 5 times,... ridicolous and that little things worked as designed in JA2. I throwed that game in the garbage first time when I saw this...

Heroes 5 - they coudn't screw this game as much as they could because Ubi Soft have poured a LOT money into buying franchise, into production and have plans for future...

But, Nival in fact succedeed to screw many things...

And that's hillarious when someone is spitting on 3DO, NWC for Heroes 4 because some things were better in H4 and H3... original authors are original whatever we may say.

OK - building of a city is blured - and tragical - interface - H3 and H4 had this much better and we could buy building in a second - now we have worse situation because everything is smaller !!!
So they moved to 3D and on city interface they in fact moved backwards!!! Nival - you didn't understand heroes in it's sould - it must be designed for fast play and not that I overlook that pile of gold because your 3d and camera... and that graphics actually get in the was of how fast game will play.

Hero interface as well - much worse than doll interface etc and that elegancy.

Sills - and abilities - great changes but I would just prefer that we don't go alwasy smaller and simpler is better. heroes is game easy to get into hard to master anyway but ok here I don't have so much complain as there is enough novelty.

What else... yes editor is a must but good that it will be ready soon... there is not much maps - and that should have been 30-40 on the package and Nival had plenty of time to make them (or didn't?) in the long winter nights hehe....

Maybe some more things will emerge when we get full game.

BTW, I don't want flame and I still think that game is great and that it have potential. But, I don't like slack approach of Nival and cuting corners... Graphics is great but you must know that it's not excuse to not improve on H3 and H4 and not to go down ways...

Comments welcome... and feel free to add yours good and bad sides of H5...

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 13 May 2006, 12:02

Nival is a Russian enterprise.

I dont want to generalize, but as far as I studied, they have no regard for customers, they totally lack this concept, due to the long soviet screwage of economy.
All they care for is salary.

In the end, it was a bad move to hire them.
Let them produce their mediocre starforce protected games, and lets find a better developer.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 May 2006, 12:06

Title reads "good bad and ugly"... I didn't see much talk about the good side? ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 13 May 2006, 12:11

@Romanov77 I think you're totally wrong on that count. Russian developers, including Nival (though this may change more and more since their purchase by Ener1), care more about the customer than anybody else and happen to be incredibly good game designers. Their games, such as Blitzkreig, Silent Storm and Evil Islands are incredibly well-made and detailed. They're not perfect, but Nival have worked very very hard on them and have reached incredible acclaim in Russia.

Still, it is entirely possible they can have done things badly in HoMM. I do know however that almost every single Nival employee working on the project would have cared about HoMM as much a FC because HoMM is without doubt the most popular game franchise in Russia (or was). So I have no idea what went wrong. If it did.

And it may of course also be Ubisoft to blame - they had overall creative control and seemed to be pretty well-involved in the process.

Bloodstar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bloodstar » 13 May 2006, 12:26

Kalah wrote:Title reads "good bad and ugly"... I didn't see much talk about the good side? ;)
Hehe, overall just as I said, I like the game... Sorry if this sounds more negative - in fact I am positive about any of Heroes games 1-5. I don't dismiss any as broken... That's why I also have found so lame when H4 came out and many "fans" didn't in fact recognized all beauty in it. That was a shame.

I will give H5 enough time don't worry and i am sutre that in the end all good things wil outpace some few bad, ugly things :devious:

And I don't slam Nival just because it is Russian company. Many eastern europe companies have made excellent games - Operation Flashpoint, Silent Hunter 3 etc to name just a few and King of the Road (truck racing and managment game...very good).

Sure they oftern lack finesse and we cannot call Silent Storm great game if it delivers broken feature and one I already mentioned. That is false advertising.

Sir Tech have delivered masterpeice jagged Allaince 2 and that game will stand out as one of best Canadian games hehe... Silent Storm is not not a close to Jagged Alliance 2. Not even close! So don't be fooled.

But, it was anyway hard for Ubi Soft to find someone else as well. Better choice would be Triumph Studios - and maybe some work outsourced to someone else.
You see Firaxis and Firefly are making game about Rome together... So that is also nice thing for big franchise to employ two studios.

Mario

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 13 May 2006, 13:08

The only Nival game I played was Blitzkieg, and it plain sucked.

Heavy and exceptionally ugly engine, NO A.I., and repetitive to death.

Plus, having starforce as habit doesnt make them customer friendly.

Lets talk straight, they nned to feed their family, thats the main reason why they accepted the UBi proposal.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Bloodstar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bloodstar » 13 May 2006, 13:22

Romanov77 wrote:The only Nival game I played was Blitzkieg, and it plain sucked.

Heavy and exceptionally ugly engine, NO A.I., and repetitive to death.

Plus, having starforce as habit doesnt make them customer friendly.

Lets talk straight, they nned to feed their family, thats the main reason why they accepted the UBi proposal.

Next time it would be good that Ubi Soft buys Take 2 and Firaxis along the way B-)

And then to give the whole job to Sid Meier - so we may see Sid Meier's HOMM V :devil:

Back to be serious - Jon Van Caneghem was in anyway creative control back to HOMM and yes later he didn't designed that much but he had thing under his reignes...
So don't give everything to Russian company they are just not ready for blockbuster of that size. Make it two companies on this project, one from western hemisphere and one from Eastern. It's just matter of tradition.
They cannot catch western companies that soon.

Mario

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 13:29

Kalah wrote:Title reads "good bad and ugly"... I didn't see much talk about the good side? ;)
Well Clint Eastwood was always the silent type. :devious:

I heard some interesting things about Nival and their work on HoMM5. Anyone know if they're moving to the console market?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 14:04

There has ALREADY been a crappy Heroes of Might and Magic console game... it sucked wankers too.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 14:09

Wolfshanze wrote:There has ALREADY been a crappy Heroes of Might and Magic console game... it sucked wankers too.
There was?Now I wonder how I missed it?Oh,Im such a fan,I simply have to buy a console and that game,no matter what you people say about it!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 14:10

DaemianLucifer wrote: Hurrah!HoMM moves to consoles!Oh I love consoles!Theyre so cool!!I simply cannot wait to waste some 200$ to play a crapy heroes clone!
Actualy I was just talking about Nival, not HoMM.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 13 May 2006, 15:22

As far as I know Nival are supposed to be moving into the console market, yes.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 13 May 2006, 15:40

DaemianLucifer wrote:Hurrah!HoMM moves to consoles!Oh I love consoles!Theyre so cool!!I simply cannot wait to waste some 200$ to play a crapy heroes clone!
Computers are a bit more expansive than consoles ;) Whatever, about those 200$, that's what you'll have paid for the game once you bought all its expansions :devil:
Image Spiritu Insanum

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 13 May 2006, 16:54

If you want an enterprise that doesn't care for customers, but salary look for Electronic Arts :)
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 21:51

Wildbear wrote: Computers are a bit more expansive than consoles ;)
Have you actualy seen the prices they're asking for the next-gen consoles?! You can get a pretty decent PC for that. And those guys are selling them at a loss.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 May 2006, 21:55

ThunderTitan wrote: Have you actualy seen the prices they're asking for the next-gen consoles?! You can get a pretty decent PC for that. And those guys are selling them at a loss.
Except for Nintendo. That conservative company has always cared only for the shortterm which will be their end.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 13 May 2006, 21:55

DaemianLucifer wrote: There was?Now I wonder how I missed it?Oh,Im such a fan,I simply have to buy a console and that game,no matter what you people say about it!
I believe Wolfshanze is referring to Quest for the Dragonbone Staff.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 22:06

Campaigner wrote: Except for Nintendo. That conservative company has always cared only for the short term which will be their end.
Rigth because if they sold at a loss then they wouldn't go under at all. Fact is they can't compete with MS and Sony money wise. And from what I heard around the net the Wii has people more excited that the 360 or PS3.

Oh, and here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060511/tc_ ... NlYwM3Mzg-
Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 14 May 2006, 03:44

OK, here are some of the good things:

- Initiative based combat
- Skills and abilities
- Special faction powers

And here are some bad things:

- Unimaginative set of adventure objects
- Appearance of adventure map
- Tiny, indistinguishable combat figures

In short, the changes to the game system are great, while the presentation sucks.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 14 May 2006, 05:32

- Tiny, indistinguishable combat figures
You know you can zoom-in on the combat figures, don't you?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”