Review from one of the isonews ppl

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 13 May 2006, 15:06

Kalah wrote:
Linky wrote:there is no summary of how the map went, who won, came second or anything...
Typical for a demo, though - it's only supposed to give you a feel about how the game plays. Not necessarily how it ends.
Unfortunately that info was based on the full version.

Don't get me wrong though I'm one of the people who think this game will be/is definitely worth the purchase. It has a lot of flaws though - a rough diamond I'd have to say. But Ubisoft has shown that it wants to make this franchise last, so we'll definitely see improvement over the expansion packs and sequels.

A *lot* of the problems that exist can certainly be circumvented with the map editor. I'm sure the community can greate maps where you won't have to view the map from many angles just to spot all the resources lying around.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 15:18

Laserluger wrote:The main challenge is to find stuff by moving the cursor around the map.
I didn't find that to be a challenge. For me it was actually very easy to get used to it. Also, I don't think it's hard to find things on the map: structures are pretty obvious to see, artifacts glow brightly, resource piles are also easy to spot once you know what they look like. As for having to rotate the camera frequently, well, that's 3d for you... BTW, the underground level (called "dungeon" for some obscure reason :| ) finally gives the correct sensation of claustrophobia that it's supposed to. If you don't like it, then tilt the camera to see things from above and zoom out.
Linky wrote:But Ubisoft has shown that it wants to make this franchise last, so we'll definitely see improvement over the expansion packs and sequels.
We'd better.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 13 May 2006, 15:38

theLuckyDragon wrote:
Linky wrote:But Ubisoft has shown that it wants to make this franchise last, so we'll definitely see improvement over the expansion packs and sequels.
We'd better.
You can clearly see that a lot of time and effort has gone into the game. It looks absolutely stunning, there's no denying that. Unfortunately everything isn't as great as the visuals, but now the core game mechanics and visuals are set so they can start tuning the game to perfection for the expansion. I am hopeful.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 16:07

I'm hopeful too, but after seeing this I was convinced that the graphics are just... adequate.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 13 May 2006, 16:34

Ok, I made further resarch on the net....

It looks like that even if you meet the system requirments and put everything on low the game runs very badly on large maps....

I wonder if I can still resign my pre-order...
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 13 May 2006, 16:47

Romanov77 wrote: It looks like that even if you meet the system requirments and put everything on low the game runs very badly on large maps....
This is the delicate magic of a "well done" 3D game.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 13 May 2006, 18:00

Veldrynus wrote:
Romanov77 wrote: It looks like that even if you meet the system requirments and put everything on low the game runs very badly on large maps....
This is the delicate magic of a "well done" 3D game.
Probably there are memory leaks....oddly people is saying that cmapign is working well...
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 13 May 2006, 18:00

Kalah wrote:
Derek wrote:Why should I have to wait before I have something? I'm paying good money to get things, balance and other features
And here I was signing a petition some time ago asking for the game release to be post-poned... and that was because we wanted better balance and more polishing. We got what we wanted, now people are complaining. :disagree:
No. It sure would be nice if you weren't misrepresenting what I said.

I was saying that on the initial release they should have balance, or some semblance of it, and more than 16 maps. Yes, we did ask them to postpone the game, and it looks like we're still not going to get everything that should be in an initial release. If you call 16 maps, a possibility of no map editor, lacking of any charm that was in the old series(you just get +1 attack from mercenary camps rather than having a description of what happened) "getting what we wanted" then I have no idea what to say in response.

And in regards to large maps running slowly: it was expected.
Hell has frozen over...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 13 May 2006, 18:55

Laserluger wrote: This game is NOT a homm game. It feels like netherlords.
It is slow, it looks "kiddie" (I just hate the animestyle)
Dont even start the "H5 is anime!" uproar again! The game dosent look like anime (yeah I know what Im speaking about, I hate anime and this game dosent have enough percent of it to compare it to anime) And if you (and others) call the game anime because of the two angels, well thats surely not a good reason at all to call H5 an anime infested piece of game. Tell me which other things other than the angel have anime paste on it? Im curious, really :disagree:

Second. The A.I is supposed to do what it does in the campaign missions, its scripted for in-game reasons. But Im agree with the lack of ai on the Falcon map, but hey they even said and wrote it on the checklist that they was aware of it and it would be fixed before the game turned golden.
Last edited by Orfinn on 13 May 2006, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 13 May 2006, 19:14

Orfinn wrote:Im sure they have fixed the A.I to work properly or they wouldnt have wroten that on the list in the readme that followed with the demo.
Do you realize how naive this sounds ? :|
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 13 May 2006, 19:20

Naive? Maybe, but I trust them that the A.I is great enough when we start to play the final version of the game, if not well patches and an expansion or two could alwasy fix that if they bother that is.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:25

theLuckyDragon wrote:As for having to rotate the camera frequently, well, that's 3d for you... BTW, the underground level (called "dungeon" for some obscure reason :| ) finally gives the correct sensation of claustrophobia that it's supposed to. If you don't like it, then tilt the camera to see things from above and zoom out.
Play myth and then comment about 3D.Yo didnt have to rotate this frequently,even though its in real time.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:27

Orfinn wrote:Naive? Maybe, but I trust them that the A.I is great enough when we start to play the final version of the game, if not well patches and an expansion or two could alwasy fix that if they bother that is.
I wouldnt count on it.Crappy AI was downfall of many excelent games(ascendancy,HIV),and thered have to be a ton of patches to fix that.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 20:32

Please don't limit "3d experience" to having played this game or that game or whatever... I was talking about this particular Heroes 5 and how easy it was for me to adapt to its 3d.

Heck, I have a marvellous idea! What if we took every good concept from every single game in existence and combine them into the perfect game! Oh, wait... there's no such thing as a perfect game...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 20:50

theLuckyDragon wrote:Please don't limit "3d experience" to having played this game or that game or whatever... I was talking about this particular Heroes 5 and how easy it was for me to adapt to its 3d.
Im not limiting,Im just comparing HV 3D with a game that was made over 5 years ago and is still umatched(at least I havent found a game that can match it,not counting homeworld).
theLuckyDragon wrote: Heck, I have a marvellous idea! What if we took every good concept from every single game in existence and combine them into the perfect game! Oh, wait... there's no such thing as a perfect game...
Look at RoN.Although I dislike this game,I must admit that it is very nice.And it is basically just a combination of civ and EE,with almost nothing new.So taking the best from other games is actually a good idea.Who wouldve tought?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 21:09

Play myth and then comment about 3D
It seems to me that you are suggesting I should refrain from any further coments until I've played that game. That's a limitation, if you ask me.
Look at RoN.Although I dislike this game,I must admit that it is very nice.And it is basically just a combination of civ and EE,with almost nothing new.So taking the best from other games is actually a good idea.Who wouldve tought?
Rise of Nations? :| And how can you dislike something but think of it as being very nice?

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 13 May 2006, 21:13

An initial release without a highscore table is blasphemy!

I cannot for the life of me understand how they missed that!!

Well, Nival better cough up that highscore table real soon! :flame:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 May 2006, 21:29

theLuckyDragon wrote:Rise of Nations? :| And how can you dislike something but think of it as being very nice?
Simple.It is a good game,but it doesnt appeal to me.Many others like it,though.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2006, 21:35

That's a less ambiguous way of putting it.
So it is Rise of Nations. Very well, then: can you spell subjectivity? What pray tell was so good about Empire Earth?... And I haven't seen any "definitely-from-Civ" features in RoN.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 13 May 2006, 22:56

Romanov77 wrote:Ok, I made further resarch on the net....

It looks like that even if you meet the system requirments and put everything on low the game runs very badly on large maps....
I've got quite a powerhouse under me. The thing is that if you rotate the 3d adventure map view to a low enough angle so that you see pretty far into the distance, it gets slow - really slow. When the view is more top-downish the game runs without a hitch even with full details on.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”