Leak

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 10 May 2006, 22:11

HugoMF wrote:Well im sorry if you think so, but its just the way things are.
There's not a single game i have played and enjoyed that i didn't buy. Nothing beats a quallity original.
On the other hand i'd like to know why i think so, seeing as how not only will i be buying the game, but the most expensive version of it in that matter...
As part of the multimedia industry i would know how much piracy hurts, and in no way could i EVER not buy the things i use and enjoy.
Shame on you to think otherwise.
Well then you are helping the copy protection industry and making honset game like me have to suffer cp. And becuse of people like you they nearly used sf on homm v! So yes you are an idot!
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

HugoMF
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HugoMF » 10 May 2006, 22:14

Well thats where you are wrong, its not because of people like me.
Like i said, i BUY my games. People who just download are the problem.
But seeing as how it may be a bit too tough for you to understand, i wont waste any more time explaining myself. Im here to discuss a series of games i love, not talk to people who can't even explain themselves or make proper points.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 10 May 2006, 22:16

HugoMF wrote:Well thats where you are wrong, its not because of people like me.
But seeing as how it may be a bit too tough for you to understand, i wont waste any more time explaining myself. Im here to discuss a series of games i love, not talk to people who can't even explain themselves or make proper points.
Dosent mather! if you buy ut they se you dl it! its that simpel! And since you cant understand that i rest my case!

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 10 May 2006, 23:03

HugoMF wrote:Well thats where you are wrong, its not because of people like me.
When do you buy your games? You'll be in line the first day for a Collector's edition release? What day is that? I've got a 14-day wait. You're admitting your self-control is so weak that you can't wait a couple of weeks in order to conform to the law? It hardly matters whether you love the game if you're openly proud of being criminal. :(
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 10 May 2006, 23:14

But for crying out loud....Znork: It doesn't matter if he downloads it or not if he's still buying it on release day cause it's not a lost sale then!

And if he wasn't going to buy it it still wouldn't had mattered since he wouldn't have bought it anyway!

And about the law....no one gives a **** about downloading games. You get away with it every time and even look cool for your friends (you can get free stuff which you give to them freely. They will look up to you just like I looked up to people that supplied me with free stuff).

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 May 2006, 00:14

@ Campaigner:

omg, i wrote a really long paragraph about how you and HugoMF are very wrong, but it got deleted and i got signed off... well, just so u know, youre wrong and i do have a very good reason for it, but im not gonna type it up all over again now...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 11 May 2006, 00:23

Just so you guys know: We are allowing this discussion to continue only if you can keep your behaviour civilized..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 11 May 2006, 01:25

A Pirate is somebody who doesn't buy the game, but plays it for free.

If he buys the game on the first chance he gets, NOBODY has lost a single penny to Piracy in that one individual's case.

Piracy hurts the game industry when "otherwise customers" download the game for free who WOULD have paid for it otherwise. That's when piracy is bad, and that's when piracy hurts the industry.

If 50-million people downloaded the warez game for free, then that same 50-million people bought the game on opening day, I can ASSURE ALL OF YOU, that the game developers would all be very happy and very well rewarded for their work.

Piracy is if 50-million people download the game, like it, and go "gee, I already have it, why pay for it". That's what hurts.

Piracy is bad... I'm against it... I'm waiting to PAY for my game the day it comes out (and no, I'm not downloading it)... but as long as everyone here who enjoys the game PAYS for the game, the developers are all getting their just reward for a job well-done. No harm, no foul, the developers are PAID for making Heroes V.

So what differance does it make if he downloads it now then pays for it on opening day!?!?! Are you just upset he's playing it before you? If so, be mad at all the playtesters and game reviewers who have also played it before you without paying. In any case, so long as he pays, he's rewarding Ubi-Soft for making Heroes V and that encourages them to continue the series.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 May 2006, 02:29

yes, but when Ubi or any other company sees that the game is being downloaded illegaly, whether its eventually paid for or not, they start fearing that their copy protection is not enough. in our case, that might lead to them bringing back sf or something.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 11 May 2006, 02:30

that is unlikely, them bringing sf back, but i gaurantee you it would cross their minds at least once: maybe we shouldnt have taken sf out?...

@HugoMF
since you are downloading the game now anyway, can u tell us if theres any sign of a map editor? how bout random map generator?

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 11 May 2006, 03:31

soupnazii wrote:yes, but when Ubi or any other company sees that the game is being downloaded illegaly, whether its eventually paid for or not, they start fearing that their copy protection is not enough.
Fair enough... but do you mean to say there IS a copy-protection scheme that hasn't been cracked within days (if not minutes, or even before) the release of a new game (or movie).

Since when have Pirates ever actually been stopped by any copy protection scheme? I've been doing computer games since it's infacy in the early 1980s. I've seen every copy protection scheme that's come along in well over two decades, and not a single one has ever stopped piracy.

I'm NOT advocating or excusing Piracy... I'm just saying I think gaming companies are fooling themselves that they can ever STOP Piracy. All they can really do is help keep the honest guy honest, and all you need for that is go back to a code-wheel or a manual-check or one of the other early forms of copy protection instead of these just-as-useless, but otherwise annoying current versions of protection like starforce.

This goes back to my original point... downloaded, cracked or not... it won't matter to the gaming companies so long as they turn a decent profit on a game. If they make a fair amount of profit off of Heroes V... we'll soon see a Heroes VI. The day too many people get the game for free AND DON'T PAY, then we have a huge problem and the end of a great series.

I'm buying the game the first chance I get... I hope everyone else on this forum does the same. Code-Wheel, SecureRom or StarForce, the game would be pirated anyways in short order. Let's just make-sure UbiSoft and the developers of the game get their profit so we can play expansion packs for Heroes V, and that we'll get to see a Heroes VI.

P.S.
Ever notice how some games (notably the Unreal Tournament series) have no copy protection, but still turn a huge profit? Strange. If someone just wanted to hand me a copy of the game for free, I'd still want to pay the developers to thank them for their hard work and encourage future versions. We should all think that way!

Romanov77
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Romanov77 » 11 May 2006, 07:10

Its a real pity that the game was leaked, but it was normal.

Everygame gets leaked.
Age of empires3, made by the all-mighty Microsoft, was leaked 1 MONTH before the release.

There's nothing we can do about it. Except expressing our gratitude to Ubi by buy their game.
FC granted us all kinds of concessions, something that no other company as ever granted to me. They earned all my respect, and so, they deserved my money.

My pre-order is already placed by 1 week...if the game turns out good like I expect, I'll buy the C. Edition too.
And with the passing of strange eons, even death may die.

H.P. Lovecraft - gentleman, writer and dreamer.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 11 May 2006, 07:28

Sry for my hars language back there! But still the point all of you dling the game shoul know you are hurting all of us including you. We where so close to geting sf on this game! What about homm VI? What will ubi do then? So i dont accsept you guys dling the game becuse i cant wait until i get the game leagaly! You are braking the laws in many contrys, and you are hurting fc. Ill not predent that i dont understan you i do, but suck it up and wait! Dont open the x mess present to early!

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 11 May 2006, 08:02

Znork wrote:Sry for my hars language back there!
After 5 years at the Nforce forums you grow a thick hide (didn't thought I was there hah?? :D) so I haven't even noticed your tone :p
Znork wrote: But still the point all of you dling the game shoul know you are hurting all of us including you.
Hows that? 8|
Znork wrote: So i dont accsept you guys dling the game becuse i cant wait until i get the game leagaly!
So you're upset because net savvy people get to play the game earlier....I thought so :baby:
Znork wrote: You are braking the laws in many contrys, and you are hurting fc.
That law only give fines and it's impossible to get caught in Europe. You also get admiration for being able to get warez unlike stealing in stores so that law is not an issue.
And getting hurt because your game is getting leaked something every single developer have to deal with.

Kalah: If you're meaning me then you're way to restrictive.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 May 2006, 08:30

Of course you get admiration, the same way any criminal gang slaps eachothers backs for a theft\murder\drugsmuggling etc well done (also including stealing in stores, which gains you respect in many less-hardened gangs). And you keep talking about the low risk of getting caught and the low penalty if it should happen as if that makes it any less of a crime. Quite amazing... "If I don't get caught I'm not doing something wrong." That's not the way it works.

And the same way other criminals gain eachothers respect by doing said crimes, they also gain the scorn of the lawabiding.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 11 May 2006, 08:59

You compare downloading games to murder and drugsmuggling..? Come on...you know you can't win this discussion....

People that download stuff are normal people like you and me who would get a bad conscience if we stole something in a store (not to mention murder and drugsmuggling!) Ask around in your local college/university downloading and you'll see they pirate a whole lot and they would never kill or steal something since it feels wrong.

And it only became illegal in Sweden in July last year to download copyrighted materials (was illegal to upload though).

Besides, a policechief here in Sweden said to a journalist on TV that the police don't got any resources at all to spare on hunting software pirates. They don't even got enough resources to do what they're supposed to do!
And since the punishment is fines, they're not allowed to allocate resources to that.

Laserluger
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Laserluger » 11 May 2006, 09:12

Campaigner wrote:You compare downloading games to murder and drugsmuggling..? Come on...you know you can't win this discussion....

With the rise of broadband, more and more ppl here in Norway
dont waste time with demos. We just download the warez-version
to see if the game is worth the money.

The current trend with console-dumbdowning of pc games and
payed-off review-sites, makes try-before-you-buy a must.

We cant return shitty games to the store in Norway so it is easy to get
burnt and I HATE that.

Downloading games to try them out is the right thing to do and
cannot be compared to serious crimes. That is just silly nonsense.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 11 May 2006, 09:14

I wasn't comparing in a "It's just as bad!"-way, I was making a point re your peculiar argument that pirating stuff is a good way to earn admiration. All sorts of acts will earn your admiration from certain people, from donating to charity, through petty crimes like shoplifting and pirating software to serious crime.

And if I wanted a classical listing of all the petty criminals excuses for what he does I couldn't have done a better job myself. Aww, but it's not like I murder anyone, and besides all my friends do it. And it's not like I'll ever get caught anyway so what's the harm.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

HugoMF
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby HugoMF » 11 May 2006, 09:27

Im glad someone actually sees my point of view on this.
Please note that for the sake of keeping this away from a flame war and stay a good discussion i will not reply to the more childish provocations.

As for the map editor, i wouldn't know yet, once i have the game (i'd say 5 or 6 more hours) i'll give you a full review of everything.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 11 May 2006, 09:38

HugoMF wrote:Im glad someone actually sees my point of view on this.
Please note that for the sake of keeping this away from a flame war and stay a good discussion i will not reply to the more childish provocations.

As for the map editor, i wouldn't know yet, once i have the game (i'd say 5 or 6 more hours) i'll give you a full review of everything.
Well do what you want with the downloading of H5 at your own risk, and if you gonna make a thread about your preview remember to add *SPOILER*

Return to “Heroes V-VI”