An Island of One's Own - Need help!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Nocturne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

An Island of One's Own - Need help!

Unread postby Nocturne » 29 Sep 2016, 12:18

Hello! I recently bought Heroes 5 from GoG and I've been playing mostly the Campaigns, but I try to squeeze in a scenario every now and then. So far I've completed Falcon's Last Flight and The Diplomat on Hard - neither of which offered any real challenge (Well ok the final battles in Falcon where tough but only because I wanted to beat the Hall of Fame-time). But this mission just had my jaw drop - are they serious? :|

I think it's Month 2 week 3 or something and I just captured the final town, now, 4 redicilously overpowered armies spawns from each corner of the map. My main army has "Hard" on two of them and "No Chance" on the other two. If I, by some miracle, was able to sail my 2nd hero back to the main city and combine all my ragtag armies I might be able to beat ONE of these armies. And thanks to the interconnected whirpools the other 3 would arrive too soon to assemble any kind of resistance.
The other option I have is to refrain from capturing the final town and spend another 2-3 months building up a sizeable army - but I have no idea if this will work since I am guessing the final armies will have grown even stronger by then. :|

So far I've only seen people beat this mission on "Normal" and I am playing on Hard as I've said. I would LOVE to hear from someone who has beaten this map on Hard or Heroic and how they did it. Thanks for reading! I appreciate any advice. :)
Last edited by Nocturne on 29 Sep 2016, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Re: An Island of One's Own - Need help!

Unread postby cjlee » 29 Sep 2016, 13:05

I'm pretty sure I beat this on hard, because I almost always play on hard or heroic. Playing on Normal is not Normal for a longtime Heroes gamer. I remember this as the hardest scenario map from H5, and on my first run on Heroic I was trashed. I can't remember exactly how I did it on Hard 5 years ago, but I probably did the standard experienced Heroes gamer thing: a mixture of desperate defence and hit and run to whittle down the enemy numbers. Anyone who has ever played THUNK before will have an idea what this is like.
Last edited by cjlee on 29 Sep 2016, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Nocturne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nocturne » 29 Sep 2016, 18:49

cjlee wrote:I'm pretty sure I beat this on hard, because I almost always play on hard or heroic. Playing on Normal is not Normal for a longtime Heroes gamer. I remember this as the hardest scenario map from H5, and on my first run on Heroic I was trashed. I can't remember exactly how I did it on Hard 5 years ago, but I probably did the standard experienced Heroes gamer thing: a mixture of desperate defence and hit and run to whittle down the enemy numbers. Anyone who has ever played THUNK before will have an idea what this is like.
I agree that Normal is way too easy, what primarily set me off was that the AI isn't even allowed to use all spells on Normal and can only build in the base every 2nd day! That's easymode not Normal - imo! I like my games fair so Hard it is (contemplating continuing the campaigns on Heroic though, so far they have been laughably easy - with a few exceptions).

Aw, that's too bad but not unsurprising as it's an old game. I really would've liked to know if you waited and built up your army or if you just finished it as quickly as possible. I have no idea what THUNK is sadly but I think I get your point. Agrael's 3rd mission "The Conquest" I was able to win only because I used stealth tactics and ran circles around the enemy's much larger army. With one army that would'nt be a problem but with 4 it will. :X

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 29 Sep 2016, 20:01

THUNK is not actually one, but a series of maps with largely the same theme for H2 and H3 made by Timothy Duncan. It is considered the gold standard for a war of attrition. You start out with a meagre army and the enemy is one super, super overpowered hero, so you have to spend a long time bringing him down using every tactic possible.

Some people are damn good at this. I am not. Try asking around for advice on the H2 and H3 forums if you are desperate as you will get pointers.

Nocturne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nocturne » 15 Feb 2017, 01:59

I was able to beat it eventually rather easily by just ignoring the final town until I had the Grail and significant numbers (One of the mage armies even immediatly fled despite having over 40 titans lol).
Finished it in 84 days, with 3491 pts (Black Dragon) on Hard. It was one of the most boring missions I've played, however, even worse than "Diplomat".

Return to “Heroes V-VI”