DEMO MAPS: "Necropolis vs Sylvan" &...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 May 2006, 14:37

Guess its a nice mod and all, but I rather wait for the full version, why would I use dwellings without their native towns? No thanks ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 01 May 2006, 16:16

DaemianLucifer wrote: Careful! You could be sued for slander because of remarks like those :devil:
What slander? None of them were convicted and both had a trial in California. Are you sugesting that this implies something?! No siree, I was just casualy remarking some random facts.... :devious:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

xerobull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xerobull » 01 May 2006, 19:12

Hey gang- the original link is broken. Can someone post what it was? Changed code that I can copy and paste?

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 01 May 2006, 20:20

It was deleted.

Here it is: http://rapidshare.de/files/19093087/NvsP.rar.html

Just unzip (unrar,...) into data folder, and think that's it. Play with necro, or sylvan.

To uninstall it, just delete those folders.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 May 2006, 20:22

If it was deleted from the official forums,is it ok for you to post it here?

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 01 May 2006, 20:25

Considering this isn't official forum...why not?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 May 2006, 20:30

You can post it... for now. AS hasn't made his stance yet, and I'm not sure what it'll be.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 01 May 2006, 22:49

karacha wrote:
dragonn wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:If we had patience,we wouldnt download the demo in the first place :devil:
You know that's not the point! Demo is one thing. You download it to try the game. Modding is another thing. You mod to get more of something which was not given to you in the first place...

PS: Do what you want, If it goes for me I can wait. If I played the demo too much, I've would got bored with the full game very soon (just kidding) :D
I think you're wrong. All those things - heroes and creatures ARE in the game, we simply unlocked them for that map, that's all. It's not illegal, there's absolutely no harm in doing this, and many people (myself included) were very happy to have more factions to play with, even if it's on one single map.

So, my position is this: If we can make people happy by doing something that's simple and perfectly legal (because text editing is the same thing as using the map editor - all those maps we'll create in the future will be compressed like that into text files, which you can further edit if you want) - why not do it? I like making people happy. Also, this might encourage more people to buy the game. Many players were bored after playing only those 2 factions in the demo. I know I was. After 2 days. This at least extended the life of the demo somewhat.

In conclusion - these are not really mods. Mods normally modify the game story, graphics, items, stats, depending on a game genre in a more significant way.
Take mods for Diablo, Elder Scroll Series, Half-Life for example: They create new stories, new character classes, they rebalance stats, they add completely new graphics and tiles, dialogs, etc.

What we did here is map editing using "text editor" instead of a "map editor." In fact, I would go further saying that editing these text files is in fact the same thing as using the editor, but without the pretty GUI.

Remember how game developers, or fans would place "Random City" in previous heroes games using the map editor, so the player can select any city from a menu and just play a "free exploration" game with or without special goals?

Well, that's exactly what we did here but in a more limited way, since they did not provide town graphics in order to save space (make the demo file much smaller).
Many people will get the demo, play the 2 factions, and find out that this is a really good game because they have fun playing it. then they will realise that there are 4 more factions, and get real excited about getting the full game. if you give them those factions, however, or even just the duel heroes, youve taken away their excitement for seeing the full game, and maybe now they'll not buy it. and for that reason Ubi's unhappy with this.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 May 2006, 01:35

soupnazii wrote: Many people will get the demo, play the 2 factions, and find out that this is a really good game because they have fun playing it. then they will realise that there are 4 more factions, and get real excited about getting the full game. if you give them those factions, however, or even just the duel heroes, youve taken away their excitement for seeing the full game, and maybe now they'll not buy it. and for that reason Ubi's unhappy with this.
:| I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. :|

No one is giving them anything, and no one is forcing anyone to dowload it. If someone wants to wait for the full version without playing other factions, that's great. If you want to see other heroes and factions, you will download this "mod," if you don't want to see it - don't do it.

Does this sound hard or complicated?

The way I see it is very different: I wanted to see other factions, so I did - and now I am more excited about the full version. I don't think anyone will buy full version just to see these creatures... that's ridicolous. What then? When they see all 6 factions in a full game, will that "take away their excitement" and make them suddenly stop playing the game?

You have to rethink this.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 May 2006, 01:49

I agree with karacha on this on this one.Those that want to get suprised by heroes when they get released didnt download the demo.Those that wanted to expirience all of the factions now,downloaded the mod.It was their choice.Ubi knew there are some very curious fans,so they shouldve removed other factions completely if they wanted to keep them a complete secret.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 02 May 2006, 01:51

DaemianLucifer wrote:Careful! You could be sued for slander because of remarks like those :devil:
Libel. Slander is speech.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2006, 13:17

DaemianLucifer wrote:Ubi knew there are some very curious fans,so they shouldve removed other factions completely if they wanted to keep them a complete secret.
Yeah, that would work. It not like we already had all the info on stats, creatures and stuff way before the demo.

@KI

What if I also said it out loud as I typed it?! Would it be both Libel and Slander?!
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

xerobull
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby xerobull » 02 May 2006, 13:20

Nebs wrote:It was deleted.

Here it is: http://rapidshare.de/files/19093087/NvsP.rar.html

Just unzip (unrar,...) into data folder, and think that's it. Play with necro, or sylvan.

To uninstall it, just delete those folders.
Thank you! Can't wait to fire it up and check out the other factions!

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 May 2006, 15:51

DaemianLucifer wrote:I agree with karacha on this on this one.Those that want to get suprised by heroes when they get released didnt download the demo.Those that wanted to expirience all of the factions now,downloaded the mod.It was their choice.Ubi knew there are some very curious fans,so they shouldve removed other factions completely if they wanted to keep them a complete secret.
Thank you. Hvala.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 May 2006, 15:56

karacha wrote:Hvala.
Somehow I shouldve known :devious: :devil:

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 May 2006, 16:13

Since Nebs gave the link to Necro vs. Sylvan "mod," I will now give you the link to my files that modify this "mod" into an Academy vs. Dungeon version. You will need Necro vs Sylvan installed for my "mod" to work, since I only included files that will put appropriate heroes and creatues on the map. Everything else still comes from the Necro vs. Sylvan "mod." This is practical and makes my "mod" tiny in comparison - only 136 Kb.

You will find two files zipped here.

http://rapidshare.de/files/19449637/Aca ... n.zip.html

NOTE: Keep in mind that this will overwrite your Necro vs. Sylvan mod, so I suggest you make a backup of these 2 folders in your Heroes V directory: Maps and GameMechanics. Keep them on your desktop or in your documents folder, for example. This way you can switch between "mods" easily.

Unzip them wherever you want, and copy "SS2" file into

Data\Maps\SingleMissions\SS2 folder in your HoMM V folder (after you have Necro vs. Sylvan installed). Overwrite.

Then copy GameMechanics folder to Data folder in your HoMM folder. Overwrite.

Enjoy Academy vs. Dungeon, and play fast, because your opponent will not waste time in building his/her army, upgrading it, then going into your territory. I find it's best if you don't go for the upgrades, but upgrade via Fort instead. Also use Summon spell or use 2-3 heroes in a chain (ala Heroes III ;) )
Last edited by karacha on 02 May 2006, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

karacha
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby karacha » 02 May 2006, 16:14

DaemianLucifer wrote:
:D :victory:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 May 2006, 17:52

karacha wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:
:D :victory:
Oh nohz,it's an invasion.Quick,run away.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 May 2006, 18:56

karacha wrote:
NOTE: Keep in mind that this will overwrite your Necro vs. Sylvan mod, so I suggest you make a backup of these 2 folders in your Heroes V directory: Maps and GameMechanics. Keep them on your desktop or in your documents folder, for example. This way you can switch between "mods" easily.
You should also note that if you load a save game from a previous version the creatures will still be the original ones you played with the first time.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”