Dwarven town for expansion

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
MystDragon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

The Dwarves I'd like to see...

Unread postby MystDragon » 02 Jul 2006, 13:42

To me Dwarves embody heroism. When I think of Dwarves, I think of the terms: unbreakable, stalwart, loyal, brave, unyielding, strong,....

I would like to see 2 things really unique in a Dwarven town. I would like to see a higher level unit akin to the whole Dwarven Giantslayer thing - they would be at their best when battling larger creatures like Dragons, Giants, etc..

The 2nd is I would like to see a level 7 Dwarven hero instead of a creature. Getting a creature to do their fighting for them because the big bad enemy is too strong is just not a Dwarf's style. Meeting the challenge - lone Dwarf vs. Mighty Dragon - THAT is what I think of when I think of a Dwarf. Instead of a Dragon, Titan, Angel, Demon --- the one hero that stands on his two feet and meet the challenge of such powerful adversaries - The Dwarven Hero/Dwarven Lord (or perhaps Dwarven King.)

Think of it - in many fantasy type of stories both allies and enemies are wary of the Dwarves. They have grit, determination, a pair of @$%%^ the size of a mountain, and are much craftier than people usually believe. I think that a Dwarven Town should be the town where the level 7 creature IS the one the town is centered around! That is the one way to actually do the Dwarves justice.

I also think the Dwarven Citadel (my favorite term for Dwarven Strongholds) should be high in the snow-covered mountains, be set into the side of a cliffface with only it's front showing, and be very difficult to attack. Fighting a Dwarf is tough - but facing one on their own turf - whoa.

I was very disappointed that HV didn't have Dwarves. I always felt that previous Heroes games didn't do them justice. I only hope that one of the expansion packs have one of my favorite races of any game and they don't make them lame.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 02 Jul 2006, 17:01

HealingAura wrote:My guess is dwarf town and orc town :beg: but maybe we'll see a lizardmen town.
Obviously Nagas worship Shalassa, the Dragon of Water, so it's quite a sure bet they will be introduced aswell.

Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 02 Jul 2006, 22:35

hmm naga heroes, what you call them?

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 02 Jul 2006, 23:14

Phate wrote:hmm naga heroes, what you call them?
I may have played too much Warcraft :-D
But what about: "Myrmidon" or "Siren"?

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 03 Jul 2006, 11:53

My dwarf-town would look like this

lvl 1 Gnome/Gnome archer.
lvl 2 Boar/ Boar Rider
lvl 3 War Dwarf/ Dwarf knight or Berserker
lvl 4 Pegasus/ Silver Pegasus
lvl 5 Red dragon/ Crystal Dragon
lvl 6 Dwarven Warlord/ Dwarven King
lvl 7 Mountain giant/ Frostgiant.

Personally I hate the ide of werewolf's..I dont think it fit in at all

Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 03 Jul 2006, 13:09

I don't know about all these boars :|

Why are dwarfs riding boars? There were boar riders in previous games but they are hardly HoMM classic creatures.

Gnomes would be an interesting addition I would like to see art of HoMM V gnomes!

If they are going for Norse mythology theme then trolls, jotuns (giants: mountain/frost/fire), valkyries and fenris wolves could fit in with a swarf town.

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 03 Jul 2006, 14:11

Phate wrote: If they are going for Norse mythology theme then trolls, jotuns (giants: mountain/frost/fire), valkyries and fenris wolves could fit in with a swarf town.
with that i can agree..if they made a "mythology town"..but if they will make a dwarf-town the werewolf/troll/naga etc wont fit in,,but thats just my opinion

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 18:51

Wolfs and Dwarfs fit perfectly, so Werewolfs do too. It made sense in Disciples. Werewolf -> Wolf Lord.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 03 Jul 2006, 20:15

ThunderTitan wrote:Wolfs and Dwarfs fit perfectly, so Werewolfs do too. It made sense in Disciples. Werewolf -> Wolf Lord.
ok..in that case I wouldn't like werewolf in tier 7..I think the giant belong there

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Jul 2006, 21:16

Oh, and Werewolfs should have some bonus vs. undead, as wolfs are carrion eaters. :D
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Duckass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duckass » 04 Jul 2006, 13:33

Now, I don't know much about the lore of the HOMM V universe, but here's my attempt at a Dwarven town in HOMM V style.

Do note that English is not my native language, so keep that in mind.

The feel I'm trying to create is that of a heavy mountainous, snowy terrain. They live mostly underground in huge, ornate caves. Within these caves, the community could be split in three groups:

1) Forges. In the great forges at the heart of the mountain, the fine craftsmanship of the old, dwarf smiths are being used to create extraordinarily good weapon and armour. This could easily be represented by: Smiths->Runesmiths. Somewhat lighter defense than most dwarfs. May imbue their weapons with spells. Runesmiths may imbue nearby friends' weapons.

2)Warriors. The typical warriors and hunters. These wields heavy armour, shields and axes. Very good defense. Having them upgrade from Hunter->Warrior might be a good idea. The hunters should have lighter defense. If we have slots to fill, use Hunter->Handgunner instead with hunters carrying crossbows.

3) Nobility. These are the high ranking dwarfs. They are extremely determined and never gives up a fight. I'd go as far as having the Lvl 7 creature be these. No enemy retalation, not affected by bad morale. Extremely though, well crafted armour and weapons. Perhaps being able to spend an action to choose a special ability for their weapon or armour through a special ability. They should also have increased effectiveness against large creatures.

I might type some reasonings for the non-dwarven monsters later today, though I'll mention that Yhetees have the ability to climb over walls and terrain, though may not attack the same turn that they climbed a wall.

So, after all the rambling:

Lvl 1: Gnomes-> Gnome engineers
Lvl 2: Warrior-> (needs name)
Lvl 3: Rams-> Ram riders (the riders are gnomes)
Lvl 4: Hunter-> Handgunner
Lvl 5: Smith-> Runesmith
Lvl 6: Yhetees-> (needs name)
Lvl 7: Noble-> (needs name)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jul 2006, 14:10

Duckass wrote: So, after all the rambling:

Lvl 1: Gnomes-> Gnome engineers
Lvl 2: Warrior-> Berserkers
Lvl 3: Rams-> Ram riders (the riders are gnomes)
Lvl 4: Hunter-> Handgunner (there's already a Hunter; Axethrower might work better)
Lvl 5: Smith-> Runesmith
Lvl 6: Yhetees-> Yeti/Snowbeast or Ogre (you might want to switch the names between them)
Lvl 7: Noble-> Lord
But I sugest having a non-dwarf at lvl 7.

Duckass
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Duckass » 04 Jul 2006, 14:35

Not berserkers :disagree:

How about steel guard or something like that?

Another Lvl 7 idea I had was to have avatars of an ancient, dwarven ancestor god, though I don't know how that would fit with the lore.

Imagine him as a Dwarf that is a large creature.

*edit*

I imagine the routes of a normal dwarf being either as a hunter or warrior.

The warrior is more heavily armed than the hunter and carries close combat weapons and heavy shields, while the hunter is somewhat lighter armed with a crossbow.

The upgrades of the warrior gets rune armour and the hunter gets handguns (really low-tech handguns, blunderbusses could be cool).

The upgraded warriors might even use pickaxes to hint at the them being miners in the social structure.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 04 Jul 2006, 16:43

I'm not too keen on the idea of dwarves with guns, sounds too much like Warcraft. I mean, certainly dwarves should have at least a certain emphasis on forging and technology, but not to that much of an extent. I do like the ram riding, though, and it would work in HoMM as well.

My suggestion for the units in a dwarven town would be something along the lines of:
1. Gnome -> Mountaineer
2. Warrior - > Veteran
3. Ram Rider -> Vanguard
4. Engineer -> Arbalester
5. For Lvl5 I would imagine something like a pegasus/valkyrie unit, fitting in with the snowy terrain. Perhaps with the ability to cast spells? With the HV art style I imagine they would be able to make a very impressive pegasus, with broad white wings, darker frozen barding, glimmers swirling about its feet, and taking up lots of space.
6. Loremaster -> Runelord
7. Frost Giant, perhaps?

Frost giants would fit in well as the top level unit, since they embody the brooding atmosphere of the mountain peaks. They are strong and unyielding in which they have dwelt frozen since the beginning of time, and their massive bulk towers over the dwarven citadels.
It would be quite interesting for them to have a freezing attack, which would prevent enemies from moving.

Gnomes are a race even more diminutive than dwarves, I imagine them as relying on the dwarve's protection to live inside their strongholds, sort of these little things scuttling about the halls, maintaining the forges, crafting things, etc. What would have made sense is to make them similar to the gremlins with their bomb throwers, but as that's already taken, I'm not quite sure what they should be like. Walkers armed with pickaxes, maybe?

Warriors are sturdy dwarves with hammers, while Veterans would have hammers, and heavier armour. I'm not really sure about putting them as Level 2, since they ought to be tougher than that, but an extra-tough level2 dwarf like the ones in H3 would be fine.

Ram Riders and Vanguards would be an integral part of a dwarven army (imagining them in actual terms, not within HoMM rules) since fast-moving troops like them would be needed to determine the enemy position, perform flanking, etc. In any case rams would be needed to get the dwarves to the battle in the first place, even if they wouldn't actually be fighting while mounted. I love the term "vanguard", since it has a very heavy, metallic sound, and implies their forward role as plowing forward across the field.

Engineers and arbalesters would carry heavy steel crossbows, probably with more cranks and levers added to them, firing (of course) flaming bolts.
Happy Millenium!

gregthanatos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby gregthanatos » 07 Jul 2006, 21:51

Dwarfen town that I expect

level 1- Hafling theif (A weak unit that is invisible for the first 3 turns or until it attacks, upgradable to take random resources or gold from every encounter. This makes the war prone faction even more prone to fighting every encounter possible.)

level 2- Dwarf hammer thrower (Highest tier 2 hit points and defence, with decent attack, no mele penalty but a high range penalty. Magic resistance. Upgrade reduces the range penalty. Hammers are heavy and Dwarfs should be more about fighting up close, so even their range unit should be moving foreward when possible.)

level 3- Dwarf fighter (Highest tier 3 attack, defence, hit points and damage. Magic resistance and a high weekly spawn rate, but slow moving. Its the core of the Dwarven army and the center of any Dwarf battle. Upgrades to unlimited retaliation. Its the dwarfen answer to the elven hunters.)

Level 4- Dwarf Hog rider (A small upgrade from the Dwarf fighter. Only slightly higer attack, defence, hit points and damage. It has the same Magic resistance but decent speed and a lower weekly spawn rate. Upgrades to enemies dont retaliate. The troop is centered around backing the Dwarf Fighters.)

Level 5- Dwarf molov coctail tossers (Stronger than fireball but only a medium range. They also have Magic resistance. Ensures that no one charges the dwarf army.)

Level 6- Roc (giant sentient hawks with flying and very high initiative and movement. It flies out, drops boulders, and returns. Upgrades to transport and drop creatures. This creatures primary use is transporting stacks of slow moving Dwarfs closer to the enemy.)

This untit could also be a catapolt like seige engine that fires grape shot and can fling troops around, but the roc is more likely

Level 7- Dwarf Mammoth rider (A giant Mastadon that has charge, ignores moat defences, and can attack castle walls. It upgrades to an aditional balista mounted on its back.)

It might be cliche and Tolken esk but it fits together well, could be done well, and is similar to what I expect they will eventually do.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Jul 2006, 22:02

A nice one,though not very original.And about roc transporting units,it seems unnecessary because of the small BF,except in sieges.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 07 Jul 2006, 22:27

gregthanatos wrote:Dwarfen town that I expect

level 1- Hafling theif (A weak unit that is invisible for the first 3 turns or until it attacks, upgradable to take random resources or gold from every encounter. This makes the war prone faction even more prone to fighting every encounter possible.)

level 2- Dwarf hammer thrower (Highest tier 2 hit points and defence, with decent attack, no mele penalty but a high range penalty. Magic resistance. Upgrade reduces the range penalty. Hammers are heavy and Dwarfs should be more about fighting up close, so even their range unit should be moving foreward when possible.)

level 3- Dwarf fighter (Highest tier 3 attack, defence, hit points and damage. Magic resistance and a high weekly spawn rate, but slow moving. Its the core of the Dwarven army and the center of any Dwarf battle. Upgrades to unlimited retaliation. Its the dwarfen answer to the elven hunters.)

Level 4- Dwarf Hog rider (A small upgrade from the Dwarf fighter. Only slightly higer attack, defence, hit points and damage. It has the same Magic resistance but decent speed and a lower weekly spawn rate. Upgrades to enemies dont retaliate. The troop is centered around backing the Dwarf Fighters.)

Level 5- Dwarf molov coctail tossers (Stronger than fireball but only a medium range. They also have Magic resistance. Ensures that no one charges the dwarf army.)

Level 6- Roc (giant sentient hawks with flying and very high initiative and movement. It flies out, drops boulders, and returns. Upgrades to transport and drop creatures. This creatures primary use is transporting stacks of slow moving Dwarfs closer to the enemy.)

This untit could also be a catapolt like seige engine that fires grape shot and can fling troops around, but the roc is more likely

Level 7- Dwarf Mammoth rider (A giant Mastadon that has charge, ignores moat defences, and can attack castle walls. It upgrades to an aditional balista mounted on its back.)

It might be cliche and Tolken esk but it fits together well, could be done well, and is similar to what I expect they will eventually do.
Hehe, neat. You took my idea for the mammoth rider. I really like the roc idea but to be worthwhile in a town type you would need to have a really slow unit so you're forced to use the flying unit to give it good effect. Not only that but I'd probably make the roc a tier or two lower as wasting a tier 6's turn transporting a lower tier stack would be a little too wasteful.

Odolwa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Odolwa » 07 Jul 2006, 22:32

gregthanatos wrote:level 2- Dwarf hammer thrower (Highest tier 2 hit points and defence, with decent attack, no mele penalty but a high range penalty. Magic resistance. Upgrade reduces the range penalty. Hammers are heavy and Dwarfs should be more about fighting up close, so even their range unit should be moving foreward when possible.)

5 units with the word "Dwarf" in the name?
The names could be improved.

And I also think it's a bit many dwarven units, I think some more creatures are needed.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Jul 2006, 22:49

Odolwa wrote:And I also think it's a bit many dwarven units, I think some more creatures are needed.
Considering the current trend,this is probably what we will get if the dwarven town is implemented.

demented_dognz
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby demented_dognz » 08 Jul 2006, 00:27

Considering the current trend,this is probably what we will get if the dwarven town is implemented.
What do you mean by this?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”