Heroe's V AI

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 06 May 2006, 16:56

DaemianLucifer wrote:So AI in HV is stupid.Well,thats a surprise.
That should stop the complaining about lack of H4 features, at least...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 06 May 2006, 17:22

Good one :-D

Though in all fairness, the AI of a game is really something that can't be judged completely before one has played the final game a while.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 06 May 2006, 17:46

Gaidal Cain wrote: That should stop the complaining about lack of H4 features, at least...
Add the lack of balance people were complaining about and there already are 2 features right there... :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 06 May 2006, 20:32

Ethric wrote:Though in all fairness, the AI of a game is really something that can't be judged completely before one has played the final game a while.
Im not sure that such a stupid suicide is something well see only in demo.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 06 May 2006, 23:40

I haven't seen any glaring problems with the AI so far, besides the bug about the hero not taking his castle back (which they're aware of and list as a bug).

I also find the ai to be quite challenging, obviously it's not a person, and I wish the demo had shipped with hotseat to really try it (I have people to play against but no way to do it :P)

Playing on heroic is quite a challange, and I'm happy enough with that.
~ Rapier.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 May 2006, 02:21

DaemianLucifer wrote: Im not sure that such a stupid suicide is something well see only in demo.
Well thats the whole point: you're not sure. And you can't make a final judgement until you are sure.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 May 2006, 02:27

Ethric wrote: Well thats the whole point: you're not sure. And you can't make a final judgement until you are sure.
Maybe in ur imaginary perfect, logical, sensible world. Not were the rest of us are from.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 May 2006, 02:32

Ethric wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Well thats the whole point: you're not sure. And you can't make a final judgement until you are sure.
Oh,if only I wasnt so lazy,Id dig out all of your comments about the game before even the beta came out.

Besides,I didnt make a final judgment,I just voiced my current opinion.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 May 2006, 17:15

ThunderTitan wrote:
Maybe in ur imaginary perfect, logical, sensible world. Not were the rest of us are from.
What is "ur" supposed to mean in that sentence?

And anyway, no matter where you're from, the AI of a game is one of the more difficult aspects to both design and evaluate. You have to observe how it acts in any number of situations, and the demo is rather limited in that regard. Also, the AI could be changed\tweaked without it being noticeably appearant (at first), whereas changing design-aspects like swapping the nature-town for a techno-town (random example that I made up, no reason to panic; ) would be easy to spot right away.
DaemianLucifer wrote: Oh,if only I wasnt so lazy,Id dig out all of your comments about the game before even the beta came out.
Feel free, I made lots. But not about the AI, which is what is discussed here. The AI is quite different from deciding whether to have heroes in combat or not (which is maybe what I have complained about the most).

And why am I defending H5 all of a sudden :|
Last edited by Ethric on 07 May 2006, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 May 2006, 21:43

Ethric wrote: What is "ur" supposed to mean in that sentence?
Your, you're, you are! Guess which one applies there!
Ethric wrote: And why am I defending H5 all of a sudden :|
It's all part of somebody's eVil pLan™... soon the eNd™ will be upon us. (damn people alredy ™ evil plan and end)

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 07 May 2006, 23:09

ThunderTitan wrote:
Ethric wrote: What is "ur" supposed to mean in that sentence?
Your, you're, you are! Guess which one applies there!
Then type that next time :rolleyes:

And I'm always happy to see people latching on solely to the irrelevancies in my posts, as that means I got the last word in the matter at hand :devious:
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 May 2006, 23:25

Ethric wrote:Then type that next time :rolleyes:
But this way it looks so cool!
Ethric wrote: And I'm always happy to see people latching on solely to the irrelevancies in my posts, as that means I got the last word in the matter at hand :devious:
And if someone dares to say something after that word,you simply delete it.Memorize this note if you manage to read it,because soon it will "self-destruct"

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 08 May 2006, 00:05

Pfft, I dare you to dig up a single instance where I've done that :devious:

Anywho, to get us back on topic; I don't think the AI in H5 as of the demo looks particularily promising, but seeing it in various situations in the full game would IMO be required to judge whether it's good or not. As have been said before, the demomaps are somewhat limiting in their potential, and the AI in the demo may not be the fully polished version.

I wouldn't really want the game to fail. True, I disagree with a long line of decisions in it's design, but if the AI is not good the game will be unsatisfactory not only for those who share my grievances with the designdecisions, but also for those who think the features of the game are the best thing since sliced bread.
- Duke

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 May 2006, 00:20

Ethric wrote:Pfft, I dare you to dig up a single instance where I've done that :devious:
As soon as I find my undeleter :devil:
Ethric wrote: Anywho, to get us back on topic; I don't think the AI in H5 as of the demo looks particularily promising, but seeing it in various situations in the full game would IMO be required to judge whether it's good or not. As have been said before, the demomaps are somewhat limiting in their potential, and the AI in the demo may not be the fully polished version.
I wonder how much AI can be improved from version 0.9 to version 1.0.Somehow I dont think well see a much improved AI.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 08 May 2006, 00:25

Then we'll hope for a good editor, so that we can make maps giving the AI an advantage.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 May 2006, 00:37

Kalah wrote:Then we'll hope for a good editor, so that we can make maps giving the AI an advantage.
I doubt that as well.Having so much freedom from HIV removed makes me think the editor wont be great either.

mctronic
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mctronic » 08 May 2006, 04:50

Have you guys tried to play H5 on hard lvl ? If so, you'll realize that the AI is good has the enemy (not the one scripted) will make smarter choices such as attacking weaker heroes and so on. I've never even tried heroic has this should be like impossible to win.

However, on normal, the AI doesn't play that well but I think it's similar to H3 with easy difficulty.

I also think that Ubisoft put a lot of effort on the AI because they know that the bad AI in heroes 4 was one of the reason of poor sales.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 May 2006, 05:19

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Ethric wrote:Then type that next time :rolleyes:
But this way it looks so cool!
If you think that what's either enough lazyness or stupidity to not be able to spell one of the most basic words of the English language properly is "cool", I'm surprised you don't worship, say , George W. Bush*.

*Note: I've no idea how good a speller he is, but I guess he's about at it as he is at holding speeches.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 May 2006, 05:25

Gaidal Cain wrote:If you think that what's either enough lazyness or stupidity to not be able to spell one of the most basic words of the English language properly is "cool", I'm surprised you don't worship, say , George W. Bush*.

*Note: I've no idea how good a speller he is, but I guess he's about at it as he is at holding speeches.
Thumb through my posts and see when Im using the phrase "It is so cool" in any of its forms.

@mctronic

Blowing up his own units doesnt seem very smart.Even the dumbest AI in HIV didnt do that.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 May 2006, 05:34

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote:If you think that what's either enough lazyness or stupidity to not be able to spell one of the most basic words of the English language properly is "cool", I'm surprised you don't worship, say , George W. Bush*.

Thumb through my posts and see when Im using the phrase "It is so cool" in any of its forms.
Sorry, don't have time to check out how much you like H5's grahics right now ;)

(If you wish, you can see my post as a retort to whoever does think deficient spelling is "cool" and not aimed at you specifically)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”