Legends of the Ancients is truly awesome!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Legends of the Ancients is truly awesome!

Unread postby cjlee » 30 Nov 2013, 20:39

How come I missed it all these years?

Oh well, I have been playing Legends all week. Now I"m starting book 1, part 2 where Solmyr looks for information on the assassin. It's a balanced, well thought out game. Hard is hard enough, without being unfairly hard or overly dependent on luck. Characters and storyline are intriguing. The maps are well planned and beautiful, while there is a constant sense of tension.

This is a very, very well made fan campaign. THANK YOU, MARZHIN AND FRIENDS! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 04 Dec 2013, 21:13

I followed the instructions, but LotA maps didn't appear in the campaign menu. I've been playing them single player style (things don't carry over). Any foreseeable problems doing that?

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 08 Dec 2013, 16:25

nono, don't do that!

this is designed as a campaign

if you are a genius player, you might be able to get away with it. But a normal player will DIE. On Hard difficulty the campaign isn't that hard, but if Marzhin planned for you to start with your hero at level 20, and you did it single player style and started at level 1, you're not going to survive.

get rid ofthe files and reinstall, ok?
mr.hackcrag wrote:I followed the instructions, but LotA maps didn't appear

in the campaign menu. I've been playing them single player style (things don't carry over). Any foreseeable problems doing that?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 09 Dec 2013, 09:29

mr.hackcrag wrote:I followed the instructions, but LotA maps didn't appear in the campaign menu. I've been playing them single player style (things don't carry over). Any foreseeable problems doing that?
LotA replaces the campaign of the base game and should appear in place of the regular H5 campaign maps, not as a "custom campaign". Hope that helps.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 09 Dec 2013, 20:40

Maybe the problem is that I am playing ToTE version?

Another strange problem is that I can't find where RMG maps are stored in order to delete them. It is not in my maps folder. In fact, the only maps in the maps folder are player made maps I added myself. Original maps don't seem to be stored there either. ;|

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 10 Dec 2013, 12:55

Hey Marzhin

I want to thank you and your entire development team for having created such a fantastic campaign. The stories are well written, the maps are well planned, everything is great....

except there isn't enough! When are Books 3 and 4 coming out?

As you may know by now, Heroes VI was a huge disappointment. Legends of the Ancients are the perfect user-made content to give us our HOMM fixes until a better HOMM VII is produced.

I understand you are short handed. I hope you can recruit excellent mapmakers like Markkur to help you finish these maps! Without the efforts of heroes like you (we need a Marzhin hero for HOMM VII, much like they had one Sir Mullich), this franchise will die after the debacle that is Might and Magic Heroes VI.
Marzhin wrote:
mr.hackcrag wrote:I followed the instructions, but LotA maps didn't appear in the campaign menu. I've been playing them single player style (things don't carry over). Any foreseeable problems doing that?
LotA replaces the campaign of the base game and should appear in place of the regular H5 campaign maps, not as a "custom campaign". Hope that helps.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 10 Dec 2013, 14:10

cjlee wrote:When are Books 3 and 4 coming out?
Well...

The whole collection is here, though. (Big PDF)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Dec 2013, 05:18

Thank you Kalah.

I read this huge pdf over the weekend, and am very pleased.

THIS is the standard I was hoping for, for HOMM 6.

Marzhin and a bunch of enthusiasts produced it without any funding.

When you compare their high standards with the laughable standards of writing for H6, with the ridiculous tale of 5 children who killed their dragon mother, it is just so sad.

Years after Legends Book2 came out, Book3 hasn't been released in game format, so I guess it is unlikely to be ever released. It is a great pity.

I wonder if anyone is still actively playing H6. I hope not, because the desire to make money should hopefully have ubisoft hiring a new team to make h7.

Wheeler Dealer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Wheeler Dealer » 29 Dec 2013, 16:44

I've just finished playing Books 1 and 2 (HoF version). They were Great!!!

There were things done I had never seen and I've played all the campaigns and probably 50 scenario maps, mostly user created. The background stories were top notch. The missions were constructed to apply just enough time pressure. I accidentally played on Normal (Hard is my usual choice) and while some of the missions were too easy for me at that difficulty some were extremely challenging. They all were entertaining!

I haven't been able to download Books 3 and 4. When I go here http://lota.celestialheavens.com/ where I got books 1 and 2 the download for Book 3 is greyed out and Book 4 is greyed out entirely. Were these Books released or do I need to go to another site to get them?

In any event, many thanks for a great set of campaigns!

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 20 Feb 2014, 06:23

Was there a way to play this under TotE? I have the version with all the original campaigns + Hammers. I vaguely remember something about it. Now when I put the files in the Maps folder, I see the Book 1/2, but it says files are corrupted or missing.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 20 Feb 2014, 13:08

parcaleste wrote:Was there a way to play this under TotE? I have the version with all the original campaigns + Hammers. I vaguely remember something about it. Now when I put the files in the Maps folder, I see the Book 1/2, but it says files are corrupted or missing.
This version should work with TotE: http://lota.celestialheavens.com/files/Lota1-2_Tote.rar

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 20 Feb 2014, 13:51

Thank you very much. Image

Return to “Heroes V-VI”