The Demo Won't Run

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 11 May 2006, 21:50

I know. I'm just saying you need both.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 11 May 2006, 22:08

In my case a change of the graphics card was enough...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 12 May 2006, 13:08

How much RAM do you have now, TT? Can't be more than 512, surely?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 May 2006, 16:07

Kalah wrote:How much RAM do you have now, TT? Can't be more than 512, surely?
Well duh... the funny thing is that if i just start the PC and run the game it runs pretty smoothly. Of course usualy I only start playing after it's been on for a couple of hours, and it lags. Damn Windows.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 12 May 2006, 17:52

I didn't have any problems with the demo on max OTHER then lowing the adventure map view to something more akin to eye level instead of directly overhead.

If I lowered the adventure map view to a sideview as opposed to overhead, it started to chug a bit.

Other then that, the demo ran VERY SMOOTH whenever I played... although it did crash to desktop once or twice after playing for some time (fortunately I'm a frequent saver).

Overall, for a Demo, I was pleased with the stability (demos released before the full game are often a bit buggy).

My system specs:
3.0GHz P4
1-GB DDRAM
256MB GeForce 6800GT (AGP)

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 12 May 2006, 20:25

for me i couldt even start a game before and now it doesnt even lag, not once sonce i got the new card! oh yea, and im getting some more RAM, since im in the mood of upgrading my comp and all :D :D :D

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 May 2006, 01:40

It seems, Wolfie, that you and I have the same specs - except for the fact that I've bought another 1Gb RAM and now have 2Gb... :tongue:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 03:01

Kalah wrote:It seems, Wolfie, that you and I have the same specs - except for the fact that I've bought another 1Gb RAM and now have 2Gb... :tongue:
Hehe... funny thing is, I recently upgraded from 512MB to 1GB. Don't tell me I'm short on memory already! I lasted a good long while with my 512MB before I decided to upgrade.

I'm also starting to get my money's worth out of my 6800GT.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 May 2006, 12:24

Kinda sounds like we're talking about cars... :D

Nah, the 1Gb of RAM should do fine for some time. One thing I've learned though is that you can never get too much RAM. I installed another 256Mb on my four year old laptop because it was getting really sluggish, and presto! it was modern again. Even if all the other things were still old.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 13:38

For games RAM and Video Cards are the most important. If the game runs, but not very well usualy the RAM is more important.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 14:12

ThunderTitan wrote: If the game runs, but not very well usualy the RAM is more important.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that... a good video card is ALWAYS more critical then large amounts of RAM. Of course BOTH is great/preferred, but in an either/or situation, you're always better-off with a better video card instead of more memory.

For instance, if you had the MINIMUM requirements in both memory and video card and could only upgrade one and not the other to make the game run better, the better video card is the standard "go-to" option to increase performance... at least as far as games are concerned.

Now desktop applications... more memory is the way to go!

Generally speaking though, you always upgrade your WEAKEST LINK... if you've got a top-end video card and 128MB of memory, well upgrade the memory... and vice-versa of course.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 14:17

On a bang-for-buck criteria RAM seems a better solution to me. The best video card with only 512 RAM will usualy means lag. Even on min settings. Of course this depends on the game.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 13 May 2006, 14:27

ThunderTitan wrote:On a bang-for-buck criteria RAM seems a better solution to me. The best video card with only 512 RAM will usualy means lag. Even on min settings. Of course this depends on the game.
Try playing Doom-3 with tons of memory and the minimum spec video card. It ain't happening! Go with the minimum memory and a great video card, it will run better.

Once again though, it's all about BALANCE. Having a GeForce7 paired with 128MB of memory is plain stupid... as-is having 4GB of system memory paired with a GeForce1 card.

Always upgrade your weakest link and try and keep the system balanced.

P.S.
The weakest link in 99.9% of all pre-built systems off the shelf from Compaq, HP and the like is almost always going to be the video card (yeah memory is cheaper, which is why computer companies will give you memory but always cheap-out on you with the video card).

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 May 2006, 20:41

I wonder what kind of video card my old laptop has... anyway, the HD is shot and if I ever get a new one I won't be using it for games. Got a brand new supercomputer for that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 May 2006, 21:35

Wolfshanze wrote: Try playing Doom-3 with tons of memory and the minimum spec video card. It ain't happening! Go with the minimum memory and a great video card, it will run better.
It should if I play on the lowest setting. Of course it should be balanced, but if you have both the min RAM and Video Card, geting more RAM makes more sense. Trust me 512 RAM and a good video card still equals lag.

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 14 May 2006, 01:45

Wolfshanze wrote:The weakest link in 99.9% of all pre-built systems off the shelf from Compaq, HP and the like is almost always going to be the video card (yeah memory is cheaper, which is why computer companies will give you memory but always cheap-out on you with the video card).
thats because most people use their computer for work, not games. Why should the company spend tons of money putting good video ccars in their machines when less than half their customers will use them? If someone wants a gaming computer, then they have other, more expensive models for that.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”