Heroes 5 graphics

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 19 Apr 2006, 22:11

Gaidal Cain wrote:Huh? My computer is close to three years old, and it runs the game just fine. Sure I can't use the most detailed settings, but what I get is more than "good enough".
Even the closeups?
Hell has frozen over...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Apr 2006, 22:13

That's cool. I was just reading the "minimum" specs, and I thought you'd need something like that to run the game at all. It's nice that even the "minimum" requirements are not the actual minimum..
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 19 Apr 2006, 22:35

Derek wrote:Even the closeups?
You mean the cinematics? Well, except for lack of lip movement, it seems quite OK.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pollo2002
Peasant
Peasant

Ihate those graphics

Unread postby Pollo2002 » 19 Apr 2006, 22:51

I think heroes V graphics sucks, and do badlythey are"nice looking" but pretty usless, can anyone tell me that this graphics add more to the game? to me it make me lost more time figuring out what's exactly going in my screen and obviusly in the map. i'm a guy with great macro skills, but heroes V graphics are incredibly annoying anway, so annoying that no matter how good is the game i hope enough people keep playing heroes 3, because i won't be able to playV

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 19 Apr 2006, 23:07

i have a new computer (got it september 05) and run the game on 1280 by 1024 reso on the 20" screen, but have to use the lowest graphics settings. even then, in the main menu/outside of game, when the background preist/devil fight is going, everything is sooo lagggy that i can barely move the mouse, until i check the box that says"use HW cursor" or something (I heard some1 else say that they cant run the game unless they UNcheck that box, does that make sense?). then the main menu runs mostly fine. then, when i start a game, either campaign or scenario, about halfway through the load the game crashes. Also, when i do multiplayer, it all runs perfectly smoothly until both sides set up their armies and the battle starts. then i see the other guys army for about 1/2 a second and it looks like its running smothly, and then the gme crashes. In the beta version, it loaded fine and everything, but as soon as i got into any kind of battleit would crah either at very beggining or halfway through battle. there were very few (one or two) battle i remember actually finishing in the beta. also, in the beta, it wouldd crash if i went underground.

someone help me, i havent played half a game in the beta yet, and didnt even start one in demo. wats wrong???

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 05:54

Gaidal Cain wrote:
Kalah wrote: No, my biggest (only) issue was that of the closeups; when you zoom in close enough to see the white in the hero's eye, that's when you see that the graphics are worse than should be expected from a game that requires an almost new computer to run.
Huh? My computer is close to three years old, and it runs the game just fine. Sure I can't use the most detailed settings, but what I get is more than "good enough".
Im in the exactly same situation and the game runs smooth, well unless I scroll the camera almost off the map near alot of mountains and effects, it lags abit then. But that can always be fixed by tuning the settings.
So Im quite surprised that I was able to run the game and now I only have to wait for the full game :-D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 20 Apr 2006, 06:59

Sir Alock wrote:The lack of a light source in the underground has led to all these gaudy glowing objects. I messed around with one of the blue crystal thingies for a good while before I concluded there was nothing to it.

I don't understand this statement. Simply use your cursor to see if there is something there for you to check out. You'll get use to the underground, it's a HUGE leap from the Alpha/Beta.
The point I was making, and should have been more direct about, was that the glowing thingie looked like it should have done something. It's big, it's bright blue, and it's lighting up the surrounding area. A principle of good graphic design is to draw the viewer's attention to the things that are most important. (Unless, I suppose, you want to hide them.)

What is that thing supposed to be? Am I to believe that in the underworld, they have all these giant glowing crystals? So many that they use them as streetlights? If so, why don't they use them at night on the top? (Oh, yes, because it never gets dark there.) It is hard to imagine that little pile of crystal (also poorly rendered) I had to fight for is so valuable as one might conclude from market prices when there are these big things sitting out. Why can't I just take one and sell it?

I'm sure I will eventually get used to these things. I finally got used to the Altars in Heroes IV. But they add nothing to my enjoyment of the game.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Apr 2006, 07:24

soupnazii wrote:i have a new computer (got it september 05) and run the game on 1280 by 1024 reso on the 20" screen, but have to use the lowest graphics settings.
You know, you could lower the resolution and add a few notches to the quality instead.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 20 Apr 2006, 08:21

Derek wrote:
Gaidal Cain wrote:Huh? My computer is close to three years old, and it runs the game just fine. Sure I can't use the most detailed settings, but what I get is more than "good enough".
Even the closeups?
Let me ask...Just how many times our you going-in for closeups? I mean...Really! It's a pain to go in for closeups. 99% of the time you're going to be playing the game from an overview mode. I just had a thought...Are you refering to the closeups when the computer shows different angles in tactical combat? If so....No problems to report here.

I love when people pick apart a game & it's not even released yet! I know the reason for this board is to talk about everything...but come on guys! We have a great HoMMV on our hands. Nival so done wonders since the Beta. A few patches after the release date & were all happy gamers!

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 20 Apr 2006, 08:30

soupnazii wrote:i have a new computer (got it september 05) and run the game on 1280 by 1024 reso on the 20" screen, but have to use the lowest graphics settings. even then, in the main menu/outside of game, when the background preist/devil fight is going, everything is sooo lagggy that i can barely move the mouse, until i check the box that says"use HW cursor" or something (I heard some1 else say that they cant run the game unless they UNcheck that box, does that make sense?). then the main menu runs mostly fine. then, when i start a game, either campaign or scenario, about halfway through the load the game crashes. Also, when i do multiplayer, it all runs perfectly smoothly until both sides set up their armies and the battle starts. then i see the other guys army for about 1/2 a second and it looks like its running smothly, and then the gme crashes. In the beta version, it loaded fine and everything, but as soon as i got into any kind of battleit would crah either at very beggining or halfway through battle. there were very few (one or two) battle i remember actually finishing in the beta. also, in the beta, it wouldd crash if i went underground.

someone help me, i havent played half a game in the beta yet, and didnt even start one in demo. wats wrong???
What do you have under the hood on that new 05' computer? Also...Are you updating your graphics & sound card drivers?

My Rig (20+ months old)

AMD Athlon 64 3500 Processor (Winchester Core)
1 GB RAM
eVGA 6800NU (Non-Ultra) 128 MB o/c slighty & all 6 shaders/16 pipes enabled thru Riva Tuner

My rig runs 1280x1024 on my 19" Sony LCD without any issues. Maxed out details as well.

What type of video card do you have? This is the "key" to any gaming. If it's older....see if you can overclock it a little. Squeeze as much performance out of it! My card was a tick below the lastest & greatest over 2 years ago & it's still an excellent card because I decided to tweak it a bit. Check those drivers ASAP.

Alex

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 09:43

I agree with Kalah on this one.This is the graphics youd expect to see 5 years ago,but not now when whole movies are done just by computer.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 Apr 2006, 14:22

Graphics are as messy as I expected, unfortunately. Don't like it much, with zooming and scrolling every which way and it being hard to get a decent overview *shakes fist at newfangled 3d-nonsense*.

And as people already mentioned, they're not even particularily good 3d-graphics. I'd rather have had it the way NWC planned, with really really nice 2d-graphics. That, I think, would also have made it stand out a bit more.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 20 Apr 2006, 15:30

I suppose I'm just not much of a fan of those dancing trees on the overworld map. They really do move quite a bit if you watch them.

But I agree with Ethric on this one. Good 2D graphics are possible, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is fantastic. Seems as though the 3D is pandering to a new base. :disagree:
Hell has frozen over...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 15:30

Haha! I have no problems with this, its so darn easy to use the cam, woooosh! Flying over the lands, the battle and my nice little town. Good that you have to use the keyboard more than in previous versions too, can get such a pain in the hand using the mouse too much. :devious:

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 20 Apr 2006, 16:01

Sir Alock wrote: What do you have under the hood on that new 05' computer? Also...Are you updating your graphics & sound card drivers?

My Rig (20+ months old)

1 GB RAM
eVGA 6800NU (Non-Ultra) 128 MB o/c slighty & all 6 shaders/16 pipes enabled thru Riva Tuner

My rig runs 1280x1024 on my 19" Sony LCD without any issues. Maxed out details as well.

What type of video card do you have? This is the "key" to any gaming. If it's older....see if you can overclock it a little. Squeeze as much performance out of it! My card was a tick below the lastest & greatest over 2 years ago & it's still an excellent card because I decided to tweak it a bit. Check those drivers ASAP.

Alex
Honestly, i dont know wats in there, but i know that, aside from putting a bit of extra memory in there, its the same stuff it came from the store with. its a Dell Dimensionn 3000 with Intel Celeron processor. thats all i can tell you. not a very high-end computer. but even then, wouldnt it just make the game run slower and stuff, i mean, im able to play Age of Empires 3 on highest detail and graphics setting on 1280x1024 without having it run slow... also, i even once lowered the resolution to 800x600 and left the graphics at lowest, and it still crashed.

i dont think the problems with my computer being unable to handle the graphics, theres deffinetly some other problem.

thnx anyway though

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 20 Apr 2006, 16:25

Actually, considering all this argument I would agree that 3D lends very little to heroes. It's a turn-based strategy and there has to be a very good reason for it being 3D (i.e. Nival's Silent Storm which was awesome and needed the 3D to work for most of it). Heroes could do so much better with out it I think. Particularly useless on the battlefield I think, never REALLY had to twizzle the camera around at all.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 18:30

You know whats the funniest thing?Myth came out 5 years ago,if Im not mistaken.It had full 3D graphics,and completely free camera.And it was great.Yet,after all the improvements done in this field,new games still have a problem with 3D graphics.

Oh,and if you want excelent 3D graphics,just take a look at spellforce.Now theres a pure gem.And its already 2 years old.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 20 Apr 2006, 19:25

Indeed. But those two are different games, done properly (as they did) the 3D actually benefited the games. Although I think Spellforce might have done just as well without (at the expense of 3rd person element).

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 20 Apr 2006, 21:27

soupnazii wrote:
Sir Alock wrote: What do you have under the hood on that new 05' computer? Also...Are you updating your graphics & sound card drivers?

My Rig (20+ months old)

1 GB RAM

Alex
Honestly, i dont know wats in there, but i know that, aside from putting a bit of extra memory in there, its the same stuff it came from the store with. its a Dell Dimensionn 3000 with Intel Celeron processor. thats all i can tell you. not a very high-end computer. but even then, wouldnt it just make the game run slower and stuff, i mean, im able to play Age of Empires 3 on highest detail and graphics setting on 1280x1024 without having it run slow... also, i even once lowered the resolution to 800x600 and left the graphics at lowest, and it still crashed.

i dont think the problems with my computer being unable to handle the graphics, theres deffinetly some other problem.

thnx anyway though
Well...First I suspect it's your graphic card. If you have an Intel Celeron processor, most likely you have a crippled type of video card inside. Celeron's are budget processors which aren't terrible because games today use the video card to push games. When you're @ your desktop..simply right-click & go to Properties, then Settings, then Advanced, then on the top right hand side tab you should see what type of video card you have. Check this out & get back to me on this info.

Alex

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 20 Apr 2006, 21:38

I do not complain about the graphic of H5 becasue I like it. It would look even better if the units look liked the knigh ton one of the first H5 wallpapers drawn by Ledroit. I was simply astonished when I saw it for teh first time.

Nevertheless, the truth is that the more detailed the graphic is the more it is illegible. I like the straight-forward, yet very captivating graphic of H3.

I like the new style of Heroes, there is one thing though: GIVE ME BACK THE OLD UNICORNS !!! (thank you for your attention :D:D:D)

As Kalah said some units are good-looking (like Dragons, and my favourite non-dragonic Unicorns and Pit Lords) but some could get some fine-tuning, especially those of the human race...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”