Help with the scenario "An island of ones own"

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Shinsui
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Help with the scenario "An island of ones own"

Unread postby Shinsui » 20 Dec 2012, 06:42

So I got this game a month or so ago and I've gotten through the main campaign on the first game before the expansions. Before I go on to the expac missions though, I"m trying to finish off the customer scenarios, and I'm having a tough time with the necro scenario An Island of one's own.

I can go through the first part of the scenario ok and generally mop the floor with the other 3 cities, but after I take over all the cities and then have to defend off the massive academy armies that come, I end up being killed off completely. The main thing that hurts me are the 25-40 stacks of titans they usually have just casting Call Lightning that will usually one shot any stack it targets.

My main hero in this is Raven, and in my best attempt, she was level 20 with Logistics, Enlightenment, destruction, conjuration, and dark magic for her skills. Any help is greatly appreciated

RobB
Scout
Scout

Unread postby RobB » 03 Oct 2013, 07:30

I get thrashed in every single one of the scenarios. In fact, "Island of my own" is the only one where I sometimes achieve something, although I have never come close to winning.

In the Campaign, you are led to or at least given a choice to attack armies that you have a chance of beating. In the scenarios, it is first of all difficult to build up your town quickly, and secondly it is all quite peaceful until suddenly and enemy appears with an army about five times or more the size of anything you could possibly raise.

I wish there were walkthrus for these.
PS I only have the Mac game, so even what I have is limited.
RobB

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby cjlee » 06 Oct 2013, 07:01

Having completed most HOMM campaigns on the highest difficulty and obtained a slew of black dragon or similar ratings, I must admit to you that I often have difficulty finishing a custom scenario on Hard and may even have to lower difficulty to Normal. (Nonetheless I have finished most custom scenarios ever made by 3D0 and Ubisoft.)

Campaigns are often easier on higher difficulty. The bigger stacks often keep the AI from expanding or slow them down, while if you worked hard to develop your hero in the first map of every campaign, you will almost certainly have a better build and better spells than the AI from the second map onwards, making winning much easier.

In contrast, on custom scenarios, you often have this case where the enemy is set to show up in Month 3 with a scripted army of size X. Or else the objective is to defeat an enemy holed up in his castle by Month 6. So you are racing against the clock.

Shinsui, when you say you ‘mop the floor’ with the other cities, it isn’t a good sign. That means you delayed too much to build up your hero and create steamroller armies.

I can’t remember the specifics on this scenario, but in general, you shouldn’t be leading a grand army out of your castle at level 15-18 on Month 2 Week 1 armed with level 5 spells to mop anybody’s floor. You should be assaulting the first castle by Week 2, and typically you will win the battle with just a few skeleton archers standing and zero mana. You grab the enemy’s week 2 production the next day and charge out to hammer the next castle before Week 3, and again you win with barely anything left. But you should control the map by Month 2 Week 1, and spend the rest of the time ferrying troops to your undead converter and building up mage guilds to get your spells and slaughtering anything else that remains for xp and artifacts. By the time the enemy shows up in Month 3, you should have at least 2-3 weeks of full production from 4 castles; at least 24 bone dragons and similar equivalents able to last long enough for you to outcast the wizards. (Remember that a necromancer has mana as long as her troops can give the enemy pain.)

RobB, my experience is that you can’t have both difficulty in building your town, and peace. You should be waging war nonstop on the innocent creatures guarding each mine, and having no difficulty building your towns. Of course, I didn’t say you should be building them everyday. It is perfectly realistic to skip some tiers and prioritize some builds due to lack of resources.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”