Help Reqd with Win7 finding Custom Maps

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Help Reqd with Win7 finding Custom Maps

Unread postby Bonzer » 30 Nov 2012, 13:40

Hi everyone,
I have a good friend who has H5 running well on Win7, except he is unable to locate any maps downloaded and unzipped to his Maps folder.

We have gone down the route of opening the editor, create and save a map (which creates the correct MAPS folder) and dragging unzipped custom maps to it.

This works fine on MY Winxp system but he is unable to see the maps when opening H5 on his Win7 setup. I have read somewhere about an x86 thing (yes, thing, that's my level of expertise) but try as we might we are unable to get any custom maps in his H5 Maps folder to appear in the in game Custom Maps list - yes we have enabled multiplayer and custom maps there.

Can anyone give us an idiots guide to finding the correct place to put custom maps on win7 so they show in the in game list and become playable.

Thank you for any help in advance
Bonzer
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 01 Dec 2012, 00:23

I have 7 but don't have the problem; I do have the game installed under X86. Don't forget, that all has to be done as "adminstrator".

You might also try reducing your user account control settings. I've had my on low for a long time now for gaming but Iirc the high-setting put locks on my map-files that hindered my access.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 01 Dec 2012, 09:01

Hi Markkur

Thanks for the quick response. I will pass this on, though not having Win7 myself I wouldn't know how you install under x86 or how to turn down user account control settings. Easy when you know, but when you don't...?

I will try to encourage him to open an account here, look out for a pm sometime soon perhaps.

Thank you though.

BTW did you have any joy finding good maps on Kartenarchiv? Look out for those by Shorty157 - sounds like your sort of thing (from a previous post).

Bonzer

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 01 Dec 2012, 15:55

Hopefully, his just reducing his security settings will do the trick or reinstalling if the game is not under X86. (note: I think this should be done under the lesser control settings and as adminstrator.)

Sorry to not be giving clear instuctions, it's been a long time and I have to navigate a foggy memory. I do not know but I assume the X86 is a type of DOSshell for older games.

Btw, I think I've seen this topic before but can't remember where, I'll look about if my 1st tips are ineffective and we can do the PMs.

I don't remember the site (will go now) but I do recall playing Die Treppen a few different times :D Good map. I'll check out some of the others.

Fyi, For a time I tried other's maps but that old A.I. made turns last eons and I bailed from the game for a long time.
Now, all maps play much faster but tend to become defensively set. I am playing with Quantomas' "J" A.I. and awaiting the next generation.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 02 Dec 2012, 08:48

Thanks again Markkur, though no nearer as yet. My shy retiring friend now has a profile here, so may join in here or pm you.

Bonzer

Return to “Heroes V-VI”