Heroes in combat charge attacks enemies behind walls..

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes in combat charge attacks enemies behind walls..

Unread postby Minmaster » 16 Apr 2006, 14:32

is this logical? i just tested out the demo for a lil bit, but im seiging a castle and my hero charge attacks the enemy thats behind the walls! whats the logic behind this decision?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Apr 2006, 14:40

Well the heroes of other factions have a ranged attack, so this is probably to even things out.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 Apr 2006, 16:38

I know its a bit lame, both the demons and the humans heroes can do it and about the walls....they are weak! Since the siege weapons can get stronger the walls by buying the castle upg shoould be a bit stronger than what they are now. For me the walls is almost useless against Inferno. And instead of a citadel with water we now have spikes, which is just as good :D

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 16 Apr 2006, 16:42

Think like this: "Gameplay always takes precedence before realism"

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Apr 2006, 16:51

Yea, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason gameplay-wise here. I mean, there are already a number of bonuses to being behind walls, so this could simply be another one.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 16 Apr 2006, 16:59

Yes, its absolutly rediculous but I don't care if its in the game. It takes away from any realism in the game but it adds so much more in gameplay that I'm not too upset.

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 16 Apr 2006, 17:07

i see what you guys mean...but it wouldve made more sense if the hero warped somehow inside the castle to strike and warped outside kinda like star trek. to suddently appear inside the castle w/o explanation seems ridiculous. kinda like not having a "wait" button but making it a keyboard only thing,

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Apr 2006, 18:09

The lack of a special effect for teleportation means it magic, not science, like in Star Trek. ;)
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 Apr 2006, 21:16

Are you sure that that second comma really should be there?

I personally think it's better with the comma, but you might have intended otherwise ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Apr 2006, 21:26

Ups... but in ST it was special effects, not magic... :tongue:

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 17 Apr 2006, 00:49

Drifting off topic here... I think the fact that enemies are able to shoot through Castle walls is illogical and downright idiotic. I liked it better as it was in H4, where you were safe if you tucked away in there.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 17 Apr 2006, 01:11

Well, since other races shoot, maybe the Haven heroes should just throw swords and inferno heroes throw their axes :rofl:

Hipshot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Hipshot » 17 Apr 2006, 02:14

It looks pretty stupid I must agree. Ok, gameplay first, but in this case, I think they should build the gameplay around having the hero not being able to charge like that, it just doesn't feel logical. Maybe they should disable that function in castle siege, for both sword weilding heroes and ranged based heroes.

Hambone
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hambone » 17 Apr 2006, 06:03

perhaps the hero should only be able to charge a piece of wall until it collapses, and then have the chance to charge into the castle itself. this would still offer charging heros a castle combat benefit, and maintain some semblance of logic.

"The adding features part depends on the end of the patch plan." -- Fabrice Cambounet

niteshade6
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby niteshade6 » 17 Apr 2006, 06:09

Well essentially all the heroes have ranged attacks, it's just the haven hero has a cool graphic that shows him doing a ride by attack instead of shooting. I don't think the game designers want to penalize him for this by giving him a major drawback (not being able to attack through walls). If you took away that ability you'd need to give him a buff to another area to make up for it.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Apr 2006, 07:25

Hambone wrote:perhaps the hero should only be able to charge a piece of wall until it collapses, and then have the chance to charge into the castle itself. this would still offer charging heros a castle combat benefit, and maintain some semblance of logic.
So a guy damaging a wall with a sword is more logical that attacking a creature behind said wall?

Minmaster
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Minmaster » 17 Apr 2006, 08:43

ThunderTitan wrote:
Hambone wrote:perhaps the hero should only be able to charge a piece of wall until it collapses, and then have the chance to charge into the castle itself. this would still offer charging heros a castle combat benefit, and maintain some semblance of logic.
So a guy damaging a wall with a sword is more logical that attacking a creature behind said wall?
yea it is more logical actually

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 17 Apr 2006, 09:06

"Camelot!"
"Camelot!"
"It's only a model."
"Sshhh!"

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Apr 2006, 09:27

Minmaster wrote: yea it is more logical actually
Sure it is, it's not like there's a Dimension Door spell or anything.

A bit delete happy, aren't we!

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 17 Apr 2006, 20:05

Since were are talking about things fantasy

what about when the ballista shoot's the knight's horse in the hoof and the camera zoom's in on that hoof hit.. What a way to kill a knight..

I wish they would fix that

After reading the post's here on the hero appearing and poofing back I've decided I'm happy with it.. I mean after all we are playing a fantasy game and it's their fantasy not our's that we're playing..

Another thing that made me unhappy was the attacking hero being able to wipe out my first aid tent, ammo cart and several row's of troops on it's first turn ;(, I still won but still..

Return to “Heroes V-VI”