Do i really suck so much?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Ocean
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Do i really suck so much?

Unread postby Ocean » 14 Apr 2006, 18:18

So basically im playing the scenario. Everything is quite easy with the neutral lands and i conquer everything i see. However, then i meet the computer player(Haven Forces). I attacked his hero and to my surprise he had like triple the number of my forces. He also had everything upgraded. Of cource i couldnt even make a scratch on him.

Anyway, what the hell? Do i really suck so bad at this game? The problem was that the Inferno needs mercury everywhere and there just isnt any underground. There is one on the Haven lands but taking it would be useless because the Haven hero would conquer it right back after i would leave.

Also, can you play in the scenario as Haven instead of Inferno?

And by the way, the included two of the most boring castles in the demo.

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 14 Apr 2006, 19:07

No, you don't suck. It happened to me to.
I came out of the ground nad he had 2X the amount of creatures as me. What I did was a "hit and run" strategy. I would go in take his castle then run. He would then take it back put troops in and then I would take it again. I did this until he was weak enough where I could defeat him heads-up.

And no, you can't play as haven in the single map.

Ocean
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ocean » 14 Apr 2006, 19:43

Echo_ wrote:No, you don't suck. It happened to me to.
I came out of the ground nad he had 2X the amount of creatures as me. What I did was a "hit and run" strategy. I would go in take his castle then run. He would then take it back put troops in and then I would take it again. I did this until he was weak enough where I could defeat him heads-up.

Hmmm, but the demo has all of the Haven material. Perhaps somebody can mod it?

Jeska
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jeska » 14 Apr 2006, 20:14

After some 3-4 months of game I sieged the AI town with its hero. Surprisingly my army was something like 1.5x stronger than the AI's even if I only had 5 archdevils vs. 12 angels. My 45 nightmares, 27 pit lords and 200+ succubi have sealed the battle.

...Well I played in Normal difficulty, call me noob :)

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Apr 2006, 20:22

Jeska wrote:… call me noob :)
I guess we're all "noobies" at Heroes 5. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Ocean
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ocean » 14 Apr 2006, 20:22

Jeska wrote:After some 3-4 months of game I sieged the AI town with its hero. Surprisingly my army was something like 1.5x stronger than the AI's even if I only had 5 archdevils vs. 12 angels. My 45 nightmares, 27 pit lords and 200+ succubi have sealed the battle.

You know, i too had 12 angels to fight. Maybe the army is static and it actually doesnt advance. Did your enemy hero have 50 caveliers as well?

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 14 Apr 2006, 20:53

I played hard, and the AI army was huge: 20 AA's, 130 Paladins, 150 Griffins, 500 Squires, 800 Marksman. You see, everything was upgraded, and he could have mocked me in a battle. But there was a problem with the AI. I harrassed all his mines and creature posts etc. But he didn't attack me. Stayed in the castle for a long while, then suddenly decided to take back what was his. My army was close by, but he didn't attack me. Instead he kept on flagging mines and left his castle empty. I conquered the castle and settled in. But he never attempted to take it back, which should have been the easiest task. A few days later, I just won! lol

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 14 Apr 2006, 21:10

gryphonheart wrote:… But there was a problem with the AI. … I conquered the castle and settled in. But he never attempted to take it back, which should have been the easiest task. A few days later, I just won! lol
Sounds like the AI Hero had a little too much mead. :-D
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Apr 2006, 21:37

gryphonheart wrote:...But he never attempted to take it back, which should have been the easiest task. A few days later, I just won! lol
Oh damn. Let's hope they're still working on the AI, or we'll have at least one H4 feature...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 14 Apr 2006, 21:48

Let's calm down, I found this in the demo readme:

5. Known Issues
===============

- Some texts are not final (proofreading, gameplay check, fitting in interfaces...)
- Some models or animations may be faulty
- Music selection, sounds or mix may not be final at some points
- AI may decide to not to recapture town on the "Falcon's" map
- Leadership perks incorrectly placed at racial ability slots on Hero Screen
- Godric may stop chasing Agrael on the "The Cultist" map
- Map "The Queen" can be finished without completing objective "Get a message to Nicolai"
- SPACE hotkey is not working in the creature hiring interface
- Tooltips and icons of some Spellbook bookmarks are mixed up
- Sometimes sprites couldn't attack skeletons
- Spirit Link ability is not working
- Profile button in Multiplayer menu may not work
- Water implementation in Haven town is not final
- Player may gain levelup twice when using Sacrifice Pit in Inferno town
- Sound FX for several map objects are missing
- Hero path plotting may have visual artefacts when Player Movement Speed option is set to maximum
- Game crash in Duel mode if combat ends while Options menu is open

Jeska
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jeska » 14 Apr 2006, 21:53

Ocean wrote:
Jeska wrote:After some 3-4 months of game I sieged the AI town with its hero. Surprisingly my army was something like 1.5x stronger than the AI's even if I only had 5 archdevils vs. 12 angels. My 45 nightmares, 27 pit lords and 200+ succubi have sealed the battle.

You know, i too had 12 angels to fight. Maybe the army is static and it actually doesnt advance. Did your enemy hero have 50 caveliers as well?
I remembered something like 40+ but you are maybe right. The army size should change with the difficulty, heh.

Llefser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Llefser » 14 Apr 2006, 22:52

I was able to take the castle at the end of month 3 on normal difficulty after a tough fight, without hit-and-running. Gating in all troops tiers 1-6 kept me in the battle. At the end, I had about a dozen horned overseers (down from nearly three hundred) and a couple of upgraded succubi.

A fun fight, but had I been on a higher difficulty the AI would have schooled me.

I can't tell whether the AI actually built its army or whether scripted events provided it.

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 14 Apr 2006, 23:27

Echo_ wrote:No, you don't suck. It happened to me to.

You don't have to hit an run I took the castle an stayed put, leaving the AI hero alone, the AI never came back, the AI thought reclaiming all the mines I flagged, that it never took in the first place, was more important!

Also, when I got above ground, I found that the Haven AI hero left half or more of the mine resources untouched.. There were also more piles of gold and other resources just left sitting on the ground next to mines the AI had already claimed, then I cared to count, just like 4?

It's funny in a way, they went out of their way to remove so much of the good from 4 but still manage to leave some of the worst from 4 in the game..

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 14 Apr 2006, 23:34

gryphonheart wrote:Let's calm down, I found this in the demo readme:

5. Known Issues
===============

- Some texts are not final (proofreading, gameplay check, fitting in interfaces...)
- Some models or animations may be faulty
- Music selection, sounds or mix may not be final at some points
- AI may decide to not to recapture town on the "Falcon's" map
- Leadership perks incorrectly placed at racial ability slots on Hero Screen
- Godric may stop chasing Agrael on the "The Cultist" map
- Map "The Queen" can be finished without completing objective "Get a message to Nicolai"
- SPACE hotkey is not working in the creature hiring interface
- Tooltips and icons of some Spellbook bookmarks are mixed up
- Sometimes sprites couldn't attack skeletons
- Spirit Link ability is not working
- Profile button in Multiplayer menu may not work
- Water implementation in Haven town is not final
- Player may gain levelup twice when using Sacrifice Pit in Inferno town
- Sound FX for several map objects are missing
- Hero path plotting may have visual artefacts when Player Movement Speed option is set to maximum
- Game crash in Duel mode if combat ends while Options menu is open
You know, I read all this before I started playing and I find this scary for a game that's about to go GOLD!! Yes I know it crunch time but many of these bugs have been around for a long time.. Fixing such hard bugs at the last minute without a communtiy test will more the likely cause more problems that could in fact be worse then now!

Murphy's Law wasn't coined for a funny

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Apr 2006, 01:12

Salisa wrote: You know, I read all this before I started playing and I find this scary for a game that's about to go GOLD!!
It's still a month away from Gold. And we don't even know if the demo represents the current version.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Apr 2006, 01:19

The demo is not an advanced beta version; it's a taste of the full version designed to give players the urge to buy the whole thing. Meaning: this is probably something pretty close to what we will see in the final product.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 15 Apr 2006, 01:39

Missplaced tags and other asorted problems? I hope not. It's more like a house that hasn't been painted yet. You can live in it, but it's not quite finished.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Apr 2006, 01:46

Indeed.

The game is near completion, I think, but the designers are probably discussion paint colours and carpetry as we speak. Small things can take some time to fix, if you get enough of them.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 15 Apr 2006, 09:02

ThunderTitan wrote:It's still a month away from Gold. And we don't even know if the demo represents the current version.
Nope. If we consider that the game will be released in the middle of may (as the Ubisoft site claims), and that they need a couple of weeks for distributing it, they have two weeks tops. Judging from the experiences I had with the demo though, the beta ought to reflect the game as it was at the start of this week, so they've had a couple of extra days as well.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 15 Apr 2006, 09:27

HodgePodge wrote:
gryphonheart wrote:… But there was a problem with the AI. … I conquered the castle and settled in. But he never attempted to take it back, which should have been the easiest task. A few days later, I just won! lol
Sounds like the AI Hero had a little too much mead. :-D
What??? Have they stolen MY mead? Those ba...oh well :-D

I had the same problemo too, his forces are always a notch better than mine and as said the only thing that might work is hit and run. Other reasons that makes this scenario difficult is as previously mentioned the lack of mercury mines underground. Also since you start as a magic focused hero and are weaker in def and atck you will get some trouble with the haven hero which has strong atck and def. My hero got like 11 in atack but only poorly 2 in def (and I got the defence boost in the marletto tower on the surface), no surprise i got toasted by his forces.

The first time I played I went with destructive magic as my first skill. It worked well on neutral stacks, my spellpower and knowledge was about 6-7 but against the A.Is forces I just didnt have a chance, just look below.

Me

Attack 11
Defence 2
Spellpower 7
Knowledge 6

The A.I

Attack 7
Defence 6
Spellpower 4
Knoledge 6

The second try on this scenario went a little better. I to my surprise got assistance from about 60+ succubis and s-mistresses on the surface (just follow the most eastern roads and you will see some succubies around a campfire).
That was a nice boost in forces but since I didnt have the patience to wait for the haven dude to invade my territory (thoug letting hhim loose his forces on the huge neutral stacks) I had to get past those spectral dragons, and they again took a chunk of my forces which hampered me alot even if I lost something like 10 sucubies, you need every unit possible to beat the A.I head on (without hit and run tactic) and thats not easy thanks to strong neutral stacks everywhere :)

The A.I even not 100% as it will be in the full game, gave me a serious challenge when I first confronted him, anyway he love to go back and forth from his dwellings and gates only to take a break at his hometown, no wonder he got such forces, it seems the A.I didnt bother killing the wandering creatures maybe thats why :|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”