Lore timeline

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Lore timeline

Unread postby Mozared » 13 Aug 2012, 15:23

Hey folks!

I'm not sure if this is the right board, but nothing I saw on the main page would really fit the subject.

What I'm looking for is some cut & clear information on the (up to date) lore of the Heroes of Might & Magic universe. My problem is that the whole world seems kind of confusing. With other game series I've played I can generally lay out a timeline and tell you when everything takes place. While I followed the individual stories of H3, 4, 5 and now 6 fairly well, I for the life of me couldn't tell you when what takes place, or how for example the transition between H3 Fortress Hydra's and H5 Dark Elf Hydra's takes place, or what faction worships which dragon and when/how that changes for some of them (Dwarves seem to have worshipped both Ylath and Arkath?).

Now I've been looking around websites and the search bar and such, but usually all I can find in the lore department is either A) a description of the story of individual heroes in the game (i.e. what Raelag does in H5) or B) a wall of text with random events and characters (like the dragon aspects) that I can then somewhat place but still not connect to any other knowledge I have from the Heroes universe. I kind of feel like there's this humongous world everyone here knows everything about while I can only fit in bits and pieces.

What I guess my question boils down to is... is there some kind of lore site/timeline that I can view to get a better idea of the big picture? Or: how the hell do all of you know all of these things?

Thanks in advance!

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Lore timeline

Unread postby Avonu » 13 Aug 2012, 16:50

Mozared wrote:I for the life of me couldn't tell you when what takes place, or how for example the transition between H3 Fortress Hydra's and H5 Dark Elf Hydra's takes place, or what faction worships which dragon and when/how that changes for some of them (Dwarves seem to have worshipped both Ylath and Arkath?).
1. World from HV and HVI - Ashan - is in new universe - it has new story, new timeline, new factions histoty, new mythology, etc.
This is same pattern like in remakes - to take known title and tell new story, without any connection to old title (besaide tilte itself).

Dragons - faction relations:
1. Haven (Humans) - Elrath, Dragon of Light and creator of Angels (Angels are another race in Ashan but were allied with Humans)
2. Inferno (Demons) - Urgash, Dragon of Chaos and their creator
3. Academy (Mages/Humans) - no dragon (they think they become dragon gods themselves)
4. Sylvan (Elves) - Sylanna, Dragon of Earth and their creator
5. Dungeon (Dark Elves) - Malassa, Dragon of Darkness and creator of Faceless (another race in Ashan)
6. Necropolis (Undead/Humans) - Asha, Dragon of Order, creator of all on Ashan, even other dragon gods, except her twin Urgash and Demons (however she doesn't want to be worshipped by anyone)
7. Fortress (Dwarves) - Arkath, Dragon of Fire and their creator
8. Sanctuary (Naga) - Shalassa, Dragon of Water and their creator
9. Stronghold (Orcs) - Mother Earth and Father Sky (totem dieties, not "real" dragon gods)
10. Ylath, Dragon of Air created Humans but was abandoned by them in favour of Elrath and thanks to Angels deeds.

And here is short history of Ashan (HV and HVI world):

In the beginning there was Void. In Void some magical elements gather together and crystalized creating Cosmic Egg. From this egg Asha and Urgash were born. While Urgash went to Void for his reason, Asha used Cosmic Egg shell and created world known as Ashan. She also created 6 Elemental Dragons to help her in her task. These Dragons created mortal races to help them. After Urgash returned from his journey, he created Demons and six Demon Overlords (as twisted mirror images of Elemental Dragons) to undone what Asha did. And the fight known as War of Creation begun. In the end, Urgash was chained to Ashan core, Asha left planet and created cocoon around her to heal her wounds and rest of Elemental Dragons left Ashan and went to Spirit Realm.

Mortal races (Angels, Faceless, Humans, Elves, Nagas, Dwarves) were left alone and to fight Demons. After Angels defeated Demons, they attacked Faceless from religious reasons. And fights known as Elder Wars begun, destroying much of Ashan and its kingdoms (including multi-raced Shantiri Empire). At the end Angels and Faceless were near extinction and sign treaty and formed Twilight Convent to never fight again between themselves.

After that, mage Sar-Elam during meditations reached Asha consciousness and learnt from her all knowledge and became Seventh Dragon. And this event is year 0 in Ashan calendar.

Few years later, Demons attacked and Sal-Eram sacrificed his soul to create Sheogh, prison-dimension in core of Ashan, were he banished them. After that event, many of HV and HVI factions were created, during various years of course.

Rest is just politics between factions/kingdom and Bloodmoon Eclipses, when Demons use flaw in ritual which created Sheogh prison to escape from there and bring Chaos and destruction to Ashan. Of course they always fail. :P

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2012, 16:53

In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 13 Aug 2012, 17:38

Avonu wrote:1. World from HV and HVI - Ashan - is in new universe - it has new story, new timeline, new factions histoty, new mythology, etc.
This is same pattern like in remakes - to take known title and tell new story, without any connection to old title (besaide tilte itself).
Ahhhhh! That suddenly clears up a lot. I was aware that H4 took place on a new planet or such after the Armageddon's Blade and... some other weapon basically black-holed the H1-2-3 universe, but I thought H5 simply harkened back to the H3 times, albeit a different timespan in it. So there's 3 universes then, not 2. Wow!
Avonu wrote:Rest is just politics between factions/kingdom and Bloodmoon Eclipses, when Demons use flaw in ritual which created Sheogh prison to escape from there and bring Chaos and destruction to Ashan. Of course they always fail. :P
I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET! :D

@Kalah: Those pages look a lot like the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks a bunch! Still strange that there isn't some kind of summary or lore site to be found in more conventional spots though, no?

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2012, 20:51

Mozared wrote:Still strange that there isn't some kind of summary or lore site to be found in more conventional spots though, no?
Sure, but there is no international (English-speaking) M&M site as comprehensive as this one; the official pages and forums are badly run in conjunction with an FB page which is more like a sort of news feed for the Ubi ComDev ...

I guess we could put up a separate page for this, under "features", btw...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 13 Aug 2012, 21:15

Kalah wrote:I guess we could put up a separate page for this, under "features", btw...
What do you know - we already have one! ;) I added the pages above.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Aug 2012, 10:21

Mozared wrote:@Kalah: Those pages look a lot like the kind of stuff I was looking for. Thanks a bunch! Still strange that there isn't some kind of summary or lore site to be found in more conventional spots though, no?
Well there is a book coming up... :)
(By the way don't believe Amazon: the book will only be released in September)

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 14 Aug 2012, 10:32

And the price...?

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 14 Aug 2012, 11:06

Avonu wrote:And the price...?
The price is decided by the publisher, but it matches what I've heard so far.
Last edited by Marzhin on 14 Aug 2012, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 14 Aug 2012, 13:14

Bad naming for this book, because in no way is Ashan "The world of Might and Magic".
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Return to “Heroes V-VI”