Will HoMMV have a Map Editor?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Godslayer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Godslayer » 23 Apr 2006, 21:40

Heh, I saw that and did a double take, saying "Wait a sec, theres a debate going on...Perhaps I finaly get to bring some news to someone?" Except, it was more of a grunt of satisfaction. Glad I didn't say something blatently obvious.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 24 Apr 2006, 16:41

Godslayer wrote:Course there's one:

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=69292

Near the bottom under competitive and instense multiplayer, in the last sentence.
Holy bouncing Buddha!

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 25 Apr 2006, 17:54

Godslayer wrote:Course there's one:

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=69292

Near the bottom under competitive and instense multiplayer, in the last sentence.
They have in the past mentioned an editor would be included, but have consistently ducked the question of a campaign editor. While I am thrilled starforce is gone, if there is no campaign editor, I will not buy it. Hopefully a dedicated fan will make one if the campaign function is not included. :sceptic:
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Apr 2006, 21:09

On Celestial Heavens they posted discourse 2 with Fabrice, where he mentions the map editor will be released later with an update/patch. So despite what has been written it now appears it will not ship with the game. :disagree:

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 26 Apr 2006, 21:18

Well as long as it comes with a free update\patch, and not to late after release, it doesn't seem like something to despair of. Afterall, you should anyway learn the game before starting on maps :)

Hmm, perhaps annyoing for people with no or limited net-connection though.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 26 Apr 2006, 23:01

Ethric wrote:Well as long as it comes with a free update\patch, and not to late after release, it doesn't seem like something to despair of. Afterall, you should anyway learn the game before starting on maps :)

Hmm, perhaps annyoing for people with no or limited net-connection though.
Agreed one should be familar with the game first and from the way it read the update will in fact be free and it will be before any expansion, now if he would just confirm it will have a campaign capability. ;)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 26 Apr 2006, 23:26

It seems evident that Ubi will maintain the norm, that is that patches 'n updates will be free of charge and that expansions will cost you. I have no problem with that: fixes to existing problems and shortcomings in a product you have bought should be free; that extra things cost extra is to be expected.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 27 Apr 2006, 01:32

In other news, it's posssible to modify the maps, at least in the demo. It's just all in a compressed text form instead of a nice UI. :)
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 27 Apr 2006, 11:08

Well it's always possible to modify all aspects of a computer program, it's just not accesible for us common folk :D
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Darkstroem
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Darkstroem » 28 Apr 2006, 13:59

jeff wrote:On Celestial Heavens they posted discourse 2 with Fabrice, where he mentions the map editor will be released later with an update/patch. So despite what has been written it now appears it will not ship with the game. :disagree:
At least we'll get it, that's what is important. ;)

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 29 Apr 2006, 03:33

Darkstroem wrote:At least we'll get it, that's what is important. ;)
thats the attitude we should all have. thats what gets people through life. look at the cup as half full, not the other way around.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 03 May 2006, 02:42

I'll buy the game without any form of editor... while it's a nice feature it doesn't imo, make or break the game.

A game with a fantastic editor that it is otherwise mediocre won't sell, while a game that itself is fantastic, with no editing potential at all (for instance any consol game that's worth mentioning) will sell well.
~ Rapier.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 03 May 2006, 22:53

According to UBI's website as of May3, 2006, this is what the info states about HV when it is released May 19th, 2006. Pay close attention to the last paragraph..
----------------------------
HV
Key Features:

Cutting-edge visual technology: For the first time, experience the world of Might & Magic in a full, breathtaking 3D animated world supported by a consistent and modern graphic style.

A more mature & consistent heroic fantasy universe: Includes all the features that made the series successful in a completely revamped and more mature universe - with six unique factions and over 40 different creatures and spells.

Complete strategy experience and RPG gameplay: During six campaigns and more than 30 missions, explore and conquer territories, manage your cities, recruit armies and raise and upgrade your heroes through a user-friendly yet deep turn-based system.

Complete scalable turn-based battle system for challenging and tactical combats: Discover the combat system that made the Heroes series successful or experience the brand-new dynamic battle system that transforms a chessboard into a lively battlefield.

Competitive, addictive, and intense multiplayer mode: Play five different online modes via hot seat, LAN or the Internet. Challenge your friends in furious battles and create your own level with the EDITOR.
------------------------
Sounds to me the Editor will be included with the game when it is released.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 May 2006, 01:03

Rapier wrote:I'll buy the game without any form of editor... while it's a nice feature it doesn't imo, make or break the game.

A game with a fantastic editor that it is otherwise mediocre won't sell, while a game that itself is fantastic, with no editing potential at all (for instance any consol game that's worth mentioning) will sell well.
Thats where you are mistaken.Just look at HIV for example.Without the fantastic editor,Im not sure anyone wouldve play it for so long.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 04 May 2006, 02:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Rapier wrote:I'll buy the game without any form of editor... while it's a nice feature it doesn't imo, make or break the game.

Thats where you are mistaken.Just look at HIV for example.Without the fantastic editor,Im not sure anyone wouldve play it for so long.
Surely an example of a poor game with a fantastic editor? And was HoMM IV enough of a success to save 3DO?

Editing is a great feature which I like, but I'd rather have a great game that I can't edit than a game that needs editing to be good, even if it has vast editing potential. (ideally, and I believe, homm V will be a great game with a great editor).

Look at Oblivion on the XBox/ PC for an example, Xbox = no modding, PC can be modded and so, imo, is better.. however the game clearly suffers from the Xbox focus and I think it needs modding just to make it worth what I paid for it. An okay game, saved by editing.

Customisation is a perk on a good product, necessary on an average or below average one. I think Homm V will be a good product and so the editor is just icing.

Obviously that icing increases replayability, I'm more likely to still be playing HoMM V when VI comees out if it has new maps released by the ocmmunity all the time.
~ Rapier.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 May 2006, 02:31

Rapier wrote:Surely an example of a poor game with a fantastic editor? And was HoMM IV enough of a success to save 3DO?
But would it save 3DO even if it was the best game ever made?Im not so sure about that.And just look at how many people are playing HIV,even with its obvious flaws.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 May 2006, 07:36

DaemianLucifer wrote: But would it save 3DO even if it was the best game ever made?Im not so sure about that.And just look at how many people are playing HIV,even with its obvious flaws.
Or H3. That game is several years old, and there's no way it would have survived for so long if it wasn't for all the fan-created maps.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 04 May 2006, 14:32

addicted wrote:According to UBI's website as of May3, 2006, this is what the info states about HV when it is released May 19th, 2006. Pay close attention to the last paragraph..
----------------------------
HV
Key Features:

create your own level with the EDITOR.
------------------------
Sounds to me the Editor will be included with the game when it is released.
Coupled with the comments by Fabrice, this points to the PR issue UBI has failed to address, "Conflicting information from people that are supposed to know." One would think Fabrice would know what is and what is not being included in the release, besides an editor to create your own level could mean many things, it does not confirm a MAP editor or more importantly to me a campaign editor. Assuming a bug-free experience is finally achieved in my recently released campaign, I will not be able to create an H-V version of it or any follow-ons. Therefore it is likely I won't buy it without one. :mad:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 May 2006, 16:16

jeff wrote:Coupled with the comments by Fabrice, this points to the PR issue UBI has failed to address, "Conflicting information from people that are supposed to know." One would think Fabrice would know what is and what is not being included in the release, besides an editor to create your own level could mean many things, it does not confirm a MAP editor or more importantly to me a campaign editor. Assuming a bug-free experience is finally achieved in my recently released campaign, I will not be able to create an H-V version of it or any follow-ons. Therefore it is likely I won't buy it without one. :mad:
Yes!So you will do your next campaign in HIV then!Praizse the lord! :hail: :applause:

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 04 May 2006, 17:56

jeff wrote:
Coupled with the comments by Fabrice, this points to the PR issue UBI has failed to address, "Conflicting information from people that are supposed to know." One would think Fabrice would know what is and what is not being included in the release, besides an editor to create your own level could mean many things, it does not confirm a MAP editor or more importantly to me a campaign editor. Assuming a bug-free experience is finally achieved in my recently released campaign, I will not be able to create an H-V version of it or any follow-ons. Therefore it is likely I won't buy it without one. :mad:
Well, that is true Jeff, I guess 'Editor' doesn't necessarily mean 'Campaign Editor' I sure wish someone could get a straight answer from UBI or Fabrice about the Editor they are talking about. :wall:
Thanx for your expertise insight. :tsup:

BTW, thanx for a great H-IV 'Dragons Fate' campaign map, looking forward to the Fridays update.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”