The Demo thread

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 14 Apr 2006, 08:59

Echo_ wrote:Beat the single map by banishing my opponent. He was much stronger than I but I "Hit and Ran" my way to victory. At the end of 7 days it just simply said You've Won. Kind of low key on the celebration but I enjoyed my first HoMM5 experience.

Oh btw, don't worry about my two questions above I figured it out :D

Well you beat the game in 7 days, my that says alot about our up and coming new world.... Really funny thing is I lost in 7 days and I completed the required objective, which said to capture a town in 7 days, I did it in 5 on my first play but at the end of 7 it's over, broken??? Maybe the readme left out reporting bugs because they must not want to hear about the problems...

The fact that dwelling's don't tell you that you've been there this week is a minus , I too dislike no caravans and repeatedly having to return, I had really hoped to have a truly living town, btw that means the sky is active too, not just the lil flags waving around.. You can sure tell the towns that recieved the most love, I finally played the haven town was surprised at how much more detail compared to the inferno and undead town.. I think whoever approved the looks of the (oh never mind Nival never listened before I can see they didn't listen much to the open beta people..Your Town menu is HORRID.. Guess they think the masses are not worth the time.. but in the end moder's mean nothing without the masses! They can mod your game until they are blue in the face but if we all don't buy it that will be the true color of red heh!

Edit oh yeah bring back the wait button for faster units -- got to love skiping 3 turns for strategy play -- right!

eidt edit of the: well there is a wait button of sorts use the W key your turn is pushed back slightly but not like skiping a turn!
Last edited by Salisa on 16 Apr 2006, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 14 Apr 2006, 10:32

Llefser wrote:I have one big issue with the demo so far: once I beat Agrael in the Haven campaign, the game crashes. Has anyone else had this problem?
Llefser: NP to report here with the Agrael issue.

Alex

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Apr 2006, 10:38

Game runs fine on my P4 3Ghz, ATI Radeon 256Mb, 2 Gb RAM.

I don't like that you constantly have to change angles to see everything though...
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Apr 2006, 10:49

Salisa wrote: Well you beat the game in 7 days, my that says alot about our up and coming new world.... Really funny thing is I lost in 7 days and I completed the required objective, which said to capture a town in 7 days, I did it in 5 on my first play but at the end of 7 it's over, broken??? Maybe the readme left out reporting bugs because they must not want to hear about the problems...
You also have to free Isabel in 7 days. She's in the building behind the Pit Lord near the town.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

chaynhanh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chaynhanh » 14 Apr 2006, 10:50

Aspiriins wrote: camoon, what's wrong with You - guys?
You still call yourself "fans', even if You don't know, that in HoMM5 there is NO "WAIT" button.
Sorry, I didn't know that cutting off the WAIT option in combat in H5 was a grand change that everyone should know. Just like in H4, heroes in combat, and now in H5, no WAIT option. Great!

You know, it doesn't matter how do I call myself or how do you call me, but I play the serie and I know at least this, HOMM is a strategy game, even better, a turn-based strategy game which in my opinion the pure strategic character is more high-light. The later version of the game, the richer strategic options should be there for people to fit their thinking. Does the lack of WAIT option give you more way to fight a battle?

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 14 Apr 2006, 10:59

Did you look for anything that took its place? You know, maybe it still is there, just that it's not called "the wait button". Maybe its function has been taken by something in that initiative system. Just supposing.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Apr 2006, 11:05

Nope. Nothing even resembling a WAIT function. It's damn frustrating too.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 14 Apr 2006, 11:11

Hey, wait! There is a wait option!

Hit W. Just like old times.
Last edited by Anonymous on 14 Apr 2006, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 14 Apr 2006, 11:31

Gamersheell rocks I only have to wait less than 1h and 26min :D
And I have 100 Mbps cable, the speed is 130kb/Sek B-)

chaynhanh
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby chaynhanh » 14 Apr 2006, 11:36

Kalah wrote:If you want battle to be more fluent and dynamic, I'd say removing the "wait" option is a logical step. Still, was nice to have back in the days.
I would say removing the "wait" option makes it easier to program the AI (just my guess) and less trick for us players. At the current stage of H2-4, i can't say it's good or bad to remove it, but it's not the way to go if they really want to make a better game. Should't they make an AI which can use hit&run tactic too?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Apr 2006, 11:43

Hey, is it just me, or does the Bless (don't recall exactly wht is called now) spell not work?

Fallen Angel
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Fallen Angel » 14 Apr 2006, 12:28

For those who miss the caravan, notice that there is now a Summon Creature adventure spell that allows a hero to summon units from his/her town directly to his/her army. One mana point is spent per creature transported in this manner. It's not exactly a caravan, but I've found it just as useful, especially if my hero is sitting right next to a Magic Well.

Jeska
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Jeska » 14 Apr 2006, 13:26

Salisa wrote:
Echo_ wrote:Beat the single map by banishing my opponent. He was much stronger than I but I "Hit and Ran" my way to victory. At the end of 7 days it just simply said You've Won. Kind of low key on the celebration but I enjoyed my first HoMM5 experience.

Oh btw, don't worry about my two questions above I figured it out :D

Well you beat the game in 7 days, my that says alot about our up and coming new world.... Really funny thing is I lost in 7 days and I completed the required objective, which said to capture a town in 7 days, I did it in 5 on my first play but at the end of 7 it's over, broken??? Maybe the readme left out reporting bugs because they must not want to hear about the problems...
How guys did you manage to complete the single player map in less than a week ? I think it's due to the succubi stacks joining the ranks, but c'mon there's a lot of big critters in the 2nd garrison... [Edit : oh sorry the 7 days mentionned was the time the player get banished because he has no more towns... *sigh*]

As an additionnal note, I wasn't able to build the 3rd lvl creature dwelling (hell hounds) in the inferno town. Was it because the tavern was unavaiable ?
Last edited by Jeska on 14 Apr 2006, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Apr 2006, 13:29

Fallen Angel wrote:For those who miss the caravan, notice that there is now a Summon Creature adventure spell that allows a hero to summon units from his/her town directly to his/her army. One mana point is spent per creature transported in this manner. It's not exactly a caravan, but I've found it just as useful, especially if my hero is sitting right next to a Magic Well.
That should at least lessen the need for chaining a bit... but it won't do anything to remove the stupid need to have an extra hero that runs around and just visits dwellings...

As for the comments on winning the map in 7 days: read Echo's post again. What he did was to capture the town, and wait in it for 7 days until the Ai died due to the time limit.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Apr 2006, 13:36

Aspiriins wrote:
chaynhanh wrote:Can someone telll me, where is the WAIT button in combat?
camoon, what's wrong with You - guys?
You still call yourself "fans', even if You don't know, that in HoMM5 there is NO "WAIT" button.
Hate to burst your bubble, guys: press "W" and your stack will wait, receiving an increased place in the initiative bar. It even says they decide to wait. :) My apologies if someone already posted this.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 14 Apr 2006, 13:43

Hmm.. i guess Aspiriins is not a "fan" then. :devious:
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 14 Apr 2006, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 14 Apr 2006, 13:44

Other notes:

The readme said that one of the issues is that the AI had trouble trying to recapture the town on the Falcon Map.

Come to think of it, the Readme also gives a list of hotkeys, including "W" for wait. Am I the only one who read the thing? :)

I got my butt handed to me quite a few times before I started to get the feel of the game, but I like it. About the only thing to be missed for me is the caravans. The skill system seems much more reminiscent of H4, with the abilities being subsets of the main skills and certain skills combining to give special abilties. The dynamic initiative is providing loads of entertainment -- one of the battles I lost was because I failed to notice the AI casting haste each chance it got -- pretty soon none of my stacks had a chance to go because I wasn't bothering to counter their spells.

I seemed, however, to be unable to click on any of the buildings on the town screen to activate their effects -- I would have preferred to have that kept in as an option.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Echo_
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Echo_ » 14 Apr 2006, 13:52

Salisa wrote:Well you beat the game in 7 days, my that says alot about our up and coming new world....
Opps! I said that wrong. Once I took the castle from my opponent I won in 7 days (becasue he did not reclaim his castle). And I was also playing the single map not the campaign. Sorry.

Fyl
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Fyl » 14 Apr 2006, 14:54

I don't like how the castle view looks like, the buildings are so hard to find (and even if you know where they are, some are so skiny or hidden behind others in the initial view), I got used to clicking them not using the icons ... the list of buidings looks awful :( ... playing Oblivion at the same time, even the Xbox GUI ported to PC in that game looks better and/or you can mod it

I also find the music mediocre compared to H4

there are so many small creatures that look almost the same if you don't zoom in, if you do zoom in than you don't see around too much anymore

the horse cursor is not centered

I agree that the info system is not the best, I would have rather seen the HP damage not only kills next to the attacked creature, not on the bottom line

the GUI effect of some mass spells is too large compared to the size of the squares or creatures

how can I see which spells a creature is under the influence of ?

Mitzah
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mitzah » 14 Apr 2006, 14:56

Is there a patch so that we can play multiplayer LAN or Hot Seat games ?? I tried the old one(which seemed to have worked for the beta) but it doesn't work...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”