Questions on the story

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Questions on the story

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 24 Jun 2012, 14:12

There's a few things I've always wondered about the story in Heroes 5, and how it doesn't add up with the story pre-Ubisoft.

It's stated quite clearly in Heroes 5 that Nicolai's father was Alexi, and it's implied (though never outright said) that Fiona was his mother/queen.

Yet, it's quite clear in 3DO that King Roland and Queen Catherine were Nicolai's parents.

So which is it then? Who's Nicolai's Mother and Father?

Did Catherine first marry Alexi and get pregnant with Nicolai before Alexi died, and then remarry to Roland?

Was Fiona really a queen/mother to Nicolai, or was she just a family friend/baby sitter who raised Nicolai while his parents were always away ruling their kingdom?

Or did Ubisoft just screw up the story and decide to change big things about Nicolai's past, like who his parents were?

Also, another inconsistentcy I've wondered about in the story is the Academy town.

In 3DO the Academy was clearly Bracada in M&M7, who worshiped the Light and had their own version of heaven with Celeste even. The Light and Dark are clearly labeled two different religions as well in M&M7.

Yet in Ubisoft Heroes 5 it's said multiple times by various Haven heroes that the Academy are godless & atheists. Isabelle even says at one point "the wizards have no dragon Godric, they are godless". One of Isabelle/Godric also mentions that the Wizards of the Academy only worship their magic.

It's also noteworthy that the Academy heroes are never heard talking about their god, or any other god. Compare that to the Haven heroes constantly mentioning Elrath, the dungeon heroes mentioning their dragon god Malsara, and the necromancers constantly talking about the spider godess Asha.

So are the academy heroes really godless, or is it just Isabelle & Godric ranting and making stuff up because they hate Cyrus and how he refused to help them?

Either way, it seems like a pretty big jump overtime to go from worship someone with their religion of the Light, to the wizards all suddenly becoming atheists.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Questions on the story

Unread postby Avonu » 24 Jun 2012, 21:08

ShadowLiberal wrote:It's stated quite clearly in Heroes 5 that Nicolai's father was Alexi, and it's implied (though never outright said) that Fiona was his mother/queen.

Yet, it's quite clear in 3DO that King Roland and Queen Catherine were Nicolai's parents.

So which is it then? Who's Nicolai's Mother and Father?
First, Nicolai Ironfist from MM6 and MM9 is different person then Nicolai Griffin from HV.

1. Nicolai Ironfist is childof Roland Ironfist and Catherine Ironfist from Gryphonheart house. Nicolas Gryphonheart (lich king from RoE) was Nicolai grandfather and the person from whom he has his name.
Archibald Ironfist is Nicolai uncle.

2. Nicolai Griffin from Ashan is child of Fiona from Unicorn house and Alexiej Griffin. Godric Unicron was his uncle.
ShadowLiberal wrote:Was Fiona really a queen/mother to Nicolai, or was she just a family friend/baby sitter who raised Nicolai while his parents were always away ruling their kingdom?
Yes. After the events of Clash of Heroes she married prince Alexiej and become queen.
ShadowLiberal wrote:In 3DO the Academy was clearly Bracada in M&M7, who worshiped the Light and had their own version of heaven with Celeste even. The Light and Dark are clearly labeled two different religions as well in M&M7.
Not really. Academy was first introduced in HIV, long after Bracada was destroyed. On Antagarich mage town was named Tower.
Also Celeste was city built on side of mountain (see Castle Lambert animation) and their were allies with Church of Light, but they not worshipped them directly.
ShadowLiberal wrote:Yet in Ubisoft Heroes 5 it's said multiple times by various Haven heroes that the Academy are godless & atheists. Isabelle even says at one point "the wizards have no dragon Godric, they are godless". One of Isabelle/Godric also mentions that the Wizards of the Academy only worship their magic.
Ashan has no connection to NWC words. It is different universum with different rules. So what was before in NWC games is no more in Ashan.
ShadowLiberal wrote:It's also noteworthy that the Academy heroes are never heard talking about their god, or any other god. Compare that to the Haven heroes constantly mentioning Elrath, the dungeon heroes mentioning their dragon god Malsara, and the necromancers constantly talking about the spider godess Asha.
Malassa
ShadowLiberal wrote:So are the academy heroes really godless, or is it just Isabelle & Godric ranting and making stuff up because they hate Cyrus and how he refused to help them?
Some mages in Ashan worship Ylath and some worship Urgash ;) But as faction mages/Academy worship no dragon god at all and they belive in themselves.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 25 Jun 2012, 02:24

So they made a new Nicolai character, and made him a King to? That's pretty stupid, and confusing.
Not really. Academy was first introduced in HIV, long after Bracada was destroyed. On Antagarich mage town was named Tower.
Also Celeste was city built on side of mountain (see Castle Lambert animation) and their were allies with Church of Light, but they not worshipped them directly.
Yeah but Tower and Academy are basically the same thing, big towers, very focused on magic, towns full of wizards and magical creations.

Didn't know that Celeste was built into a mountain. I thought it was a city that floated in the sky above Barcada, and that was only accessible through the teleportor.

Agalloch
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Agalloch » 25 Jun 2012, 10:07

Avonu didn't make it clear, but the Ubisoft games are set in an entirely new Universe, with completely different characters, stories, histories and physics. Any similarity to existing characters is purely coincidental, or an attempt to borrow some of the creativity of the original games.

The Pre-Ubisoft Universe has not featured in any game since Might and Magic IX/Heroes of Might and Magic IV and can be considered either dead (canon), or expanded only by the popularity of the fan content that continues it (fanon).

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 25 Jun 2012, 10:30

Agalloch wrote:Avonu didn't make it clear, but the Ubisoft games are set in an entirely new Universe, with completely different characters, stories, histories and physics. Any similarity to existing characters is purely coincidental, or an attempt to borrow some of the creativity of the original games.
Many of the character names in H5 were chosen by Nival (Russian developers) so they chose a Russian name for the Emperor :p
That's how there's a Nicolai in Ashan, and that's how the rationale "Griffin clan = Russians" started.

As far as I know, that was not meant as a direct reference to Nicolai Ironfist, but it could have been.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 25 Jun 2012, 17:08

And yet Markal refers to Sandro from Heroes 3 as his master & teacher... And there's mentions of Crag Hack from that universe as well.

Phate
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Phate » 05 Jul 2012, 14:26

They are supposed to be homages to the previous games, those names are only mentioned in passing, the characters have no relevance to the story.

In canonical terms, we can suppose that there were powerful men called Sandro and Crag Hack in Ashan's past, but these people are not the same as those from a different game universe.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 05 Jul 2012, 16:54

Celeste was both on high mountains and in the sky. Bracada's religion was the Path of Light and it was its main stronghold, even housing the High Temple of Light. And the Path of Light in itself isn't theistic, although some of its followers do associate it with deities sometimes.
Last edited by XEL II on 05 Jul 2012, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 05 Jul 2012, 16:57

Marzhin wrote: Many of the character names in H5 were chosen by Nival (Russian developers) so they chose a Russian name for the Emperor :p
What's ridiculous is that in the Russian version of the game the names were changed to their Western European versions :) Nicolai became Nicolas, Andrei became Andrias, etc.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 07 Jul 2012, 17:14

XEL II wrote: What's ridiculous is that in the Russian version of the game the names were changed to their Western European versions :) Nicolai became Nicolas, Andrei became Andrias, etc.
:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

That's hilarious...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

BMJedi
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby BMJedi » 09 Jul 2012, 23:18

I just started playing Homm5 again after a long absence. I'm not sure why I lost interest before, because it's a beautiful eyecandy game with at least a smidgen of the old Homm strategy tropes present. I probably just got distracted with other games that were released at the same time.

I think this game was meant to be a total disconnect from Homm 1-4. Even Homm4 was only marginally connected to Homm 1-3 and MM 1-8.

Ubi was apparently trying to create a new stand-alone franchise with a totally new universe and story. They used a very few names from the original franchise just to cheat into it a tiny, tiny bit of a connection to the old franchise.

I think it is possible to enjoy Homm 5 as long as you take it for what it is, a reboot, and don't try to connect it too much to the previous versions.

The story and lore of Homm5 have nothing to do whatsoever with the older versions. Prince Nicholai and his bride Isabel are meant to be the progenitors of an entirely new mythos, I think. Much like Roland and Catherine in the old one. In fact, the choice of the name "Nicholai" for the doomed prince may have been entirely coincidental, since "Nicholai and Isabel" are two very Eastern European names, a bit like "John Smith" or "... Nguyen" or "... Kim"

Now, what they were trying to do with Homm 6, I just don't understand. I played the demo, and immediately rejected it the moment I saw "wtf, no town screens? How can they call this a Homm game with no town screens?"
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke, "Clarke's Third Law".

Return to “Heroes V-VI”