MMH6 Walkthrough - where to improve/add?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

MMH6 Walkthrough - where to improve/add?

Unread postby maltz » 21 Jun 2012, 21:13

Hi fans of HOMM,

As we know there is the "expansion" and patch 1.5 coming on July 12.
I happen to have some extra time between late July and mid August, so I am planning on updating the walkthrough to patch 1.5 and maybe cover the additional content as well, if the admins allow me.
:-D

Here I want to ask your opinion on what you want more on the walkthrough. Please feel free to launch constructive criticisms and make creative, wild wishes.

My current plan is to include Youtube Battle Replays on each mission's Boss/Key battles (if there is one), completed with text commentary. Recently I have made similar videos for Total War: Shogun 2.

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthrea ... 2053458575

Please scroll to the bottom of the referred page.
Last edited by maltz on 22 Jun 2012, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: MMH6 Walkthrough - where to improve/add?

Unread postby Kalah » 21 Jun 2012, 21:48

maltz wrote:... and maybe cover the additional content as well, if the admins allow me.
"If"? You rock, man. :hoo:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 23 Jun 2012, 19:55

Here are some suggestions:
* Add walkthroughs for Offline players (no Conflux).
(so, do not suggest "pick free generic hero"/etc, because you can't pick those in offline mode)

* Normal difficulty walkthroughs.

* Read all comments posted under, and update the walkthoughs accordingly.

* Proofread and fix any typos/errors.
Example: "cause" instead of "cost"/etc.
Last edited by Naki on 24 Jun 2012, 17:41, edited 2 times in total.
May the Implosion be with you!

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 23 Jun 2012, 23:54

I don't think your 2 first points are very pertinent. I don't see how not to suggest "pick a free hero" is an improvement. It is in the walkthrough, if you are offline, skip that part.
Same for the difficulty level, it is described at the hardest level, if you play lower, it will be easier. I am not sure to understand how describing normal level of gameplay would be an improvement over difficult. Besides the task would be tremendous, you need to play twice everything in a row and compare.
Now your last point is very good save that most comment are made at a certain version of the game and many things have changed and will change. Therefore I am for a critical integration of the comments. If they are still of actuality in 1.5 then include, yes.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 24 Jun 2012, 09:18

Kelben wrote:I don't think your 2 first points are very pertinent. I don't see how not to suggest "pick a free hero" is an improvement. It is in the walkthrough, if you are offline, skip that part.
Same for the difficulty level, it is described at the hardest level, if you play lower, it will be easier. I am not sure to understand how describing normal level of gameplay would be an improvement over difficult. Besides the task would be tremendous, you need to play twice everything in a row and compare.
Now your last point is very good save that most comment are made at a certain version of the game and many things have changed and will change. Therefore I am for a critical integration of the comments. If they are still of actuality in 1.5 then include, yes.
OK then!
Regarding the difficulty, here is an example:
For Inferno mission #3, the walk-through says that you won't have enough resources, so upgrade the buildings in the main town only. But on Normal, I was able to upgrade at least 6-7 towns to full status. And I will probably be able to upgrade all of them until the end of the mission.

Regarding the comments, see here for example:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/785

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 25 Jun 2012, 03:43

Thanks for the inputs mate. :)

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 25 Jun 2012, 14:06

Actually I purposely made the walkthrough dependent on the Conflux to "encourage" people buying the game. (I am not a spy form the game company!)

I'll certainly look into the comments to see if any difficult points in a mission needs more material. I remembered quite a few "AI malfunctions" when I played the game, so my journey might have been easier than intended.

However, if another player's game is "easier" than described in a walkthrough due to difficulty level or the AI not behaving properly, I will not mention it in the walkthrough. It is just my personal preference to make the walkthrough as concise and helpful as possible (instead of being as rich and complete as possible).

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 25 Jun 2012, 21:16

maltz wrote:Actually I purposely made the walkthrough dependent on the Conflux to "encourage" people buying the game. (I am not a spy form the game company!)

I'll certainly look into the comments to see if any difficult points in a mission needs more material. I remembered quite a few "AI malfunctions" when I played the game, so my journey might have been easier than intended.

However, if another player's game is "easier" than described in a walkthrough due to difficulty level or the AI not behaving properly, I will not mention it in the walkthrough. It is just my personal preference to make the walkthrough as concise and helpful as possible (instead of being as rich and complete as possible).
OK then, but please note that not 100% of players play on Hard difficulty. I would imagine most play on Normal. So, if you have the time a separate Normal walkthough would be nice - if you don't, it is OK the way it is now.

Lord Draxx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Draxx » 05 Jul 2012, 19:14

Thank you Maltz for these astounding well constructed guides. Your time and effort certainly shows! The only currency we truly have is time, and you've certainly given us quite a bit!

My wild wish, but is by no means necessary, is perhaps an alternate set of guides or better yet simply builds for those who wish to play a might/magic hero that is not the default selection for the campaign in question.

( I think Kiril makes far more sense as a magic hero having an aspect of destruction inside him after all, and Irina as a might hero considering her attitude and concept art for example. )

This is more of a flavor suggestion really. Perhaps, even redundant, considering that your play throughs in other campaigns caption how you would go about building a hero thoroughly enough, using them as benchmarks I still did great! The added replay value of going through as both is nice hehe.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 05 Jul 2012, 20:27

Lord Draxx wrote: My wild wish, but is by no means necessary, is perhaps an alternate set of guides or better yet simply builds for those who wish to play a might/magic hero that is not the default selection for the campaign in question.
Hi Lord Draxx,

Thanks for your kind words. I have certainly planned to go on "the other" path if I were to replay a campaign. I will probably use a custom character, if you do not mind, for some more interesting built-in bonus.

Lord Draxx
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lord Draxx » 05 Jul 2012, 20:35

Don't mention it! And ooo, This would be most welcome also! I think in general a laid out of guide of hero builds is something the community is lacking for Heroes VI (unless I have over looked one!)

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 06 Jul 2012, 10:07

Tips for the other alignment or hero type would be really great, yes. Personality-wise Irina would also make a better Blood hero in my opinion. Also, Katsue's commentary is a lot more fun that way. "Irina, please do stop that wanton destruction and violence. We are peace-loving aquatic asians living in harmony with everything and this will totally mess up your Feng Shui." "Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of RIPPING MY ENEMIES TO SHREDS!"

...Note to self: Replay Sanctuary with a Might-Blood Irina. It's the only way.

flarestar
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby flarestar » 15 Jul 2012, 03:05

If you were interested in doing so (and have access to them) guides on the 2 custom scenarios would be nice

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 17 Jul 2012, 14:56

Do you mean the prequels of the story? I'll investigate :D

saugeen123
Pixie
Pixie

Pirates of the Savage Sea Starring Crachack

Unread postby saugeen123 » 17 Jul 2012, 17:30

I don't know how many missions there are. Does anyone else know? Ive completed the first one. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get up to the volcanic islands..

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 19 Jul 2012, 08:08

All the walkthroughs need a major update to reflect the changes to Mass healing mechanics + other changes in patch 1.5.2.
For example, you can now cast Mass Heal and Mass Regeneration many times per battle, and not just one, but Regen lasts fewer turns/etc.
Also, as another person said, the direct damage spells are also more powerful now.

Also, please check all walkthrough pages for comments under them, and update the walkthroughs per those comments, when appropriate.
Last edited by Naki on 31 Aug 2012, 20:25, edited 3 times in total.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Re: Pirates of the Savage Sea Starring Crachack

Unread postby Naki » 19 Jul 2012, 08:11

saugeen123 wrote:I don't know how many missions there are. Does anyone else know? Ive completed the first one. Right now I am trying to figure out how to get up to the volcanic islands..
Is that for the campaign? The campaign has 2 Intro/Prologue missions + 4 missions per faction (for each faction). Then also 2 alternative Epilogue missions - one 'Blood' and one 'Tears'.
Last edited by Naki on 11 Oct 2012, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 19 Jul 2012, 19:35

The DLC has two maps. If that's where you're stuck, there's a really small beach on the left side of the island, about at the same height as that whirlpool.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 20 Jul 2012, 16:12

I am still working on my Shogun Total War 2 campaign...
Once that's over I will jump right into pirates. Can't promise the walkthrough within 2 weeks - and also wish to let the patching settle a little... :D

Datau
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Datau » 23 Jul 2012, 11:49

I'd like to knew more about the artifact sets that you can collect during the campaigns, from their position to how userful/useless they can be. :)
Also,due to the major overhaul of the magic system in patch 1.5, you might want to have a look at destruction magic: many combat spells have become quite deadly, area of effect ones in particular.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”