To Demo or Not to Demo?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Will you play the demo or wait for the final game?

Play the Demo
86%
Wait for the Final Game
14%

Total votes: 63

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 12 Apr 2006, 13:12

Voted wait.

I would save up the excitement, and if I should for any reason get the demo I would just install it to see if I can run the game then uninstall it right after, its the only thing I want to know :D

Llefser
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Llefser » 12 Apr 2006, 19:07

I had all but given up on the game based on the open beta, but after reading Pitsu's and Jolly Joker's reviews I will download the demo and give the game another chance.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 12 Apr 2006, 19:14

I'll definitely play the demo, but I'll have to wait for it to become available in some computer magazine around here... I can't download anything that large with my Internet connection.
ThunderTitan wrote:I'll probably play it. But only if I can d/l it easily.
Maybe it'll come out in the May edition of Level magazine. :beg:
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 12 Apr 2006, 22:49

I'm gonna buy game anyway, but I'll play the demo because of technical reasons, to see if I need hardware upgrade before the final release :hoo:

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Apr 2006, 17:50

theLuckyDragon wrote: Maybe it'll come out in the May edition of Level magazine. :beg:
Seeing as the demo is over 700MB I don't think that's gonna happen.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 Apr 2006, 17:57

Now why did it have to be that large?...
Maybe on the DVD version? :beg:
Oh, who am I kidding... :S

NurDas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NurDas » 13 Apr 2006, 18:23

Does somebody know if the demo has starforce?

Thelonious
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Thelonious » 13 Apr 2006, 18:24

wimfrits wrote:Vote wait.

I've seen enough of the game to know that I will buy it.
Aside from that, playing 2 campaign maps without being able to continue seems frustrating ;)
Yeah but that won't stop me from trying it though.
Grah!

NurDas
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NurDas » 13 Apr 2006, 18:40

Aha, no starforce with the demo: http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/ ... 053234/p/3 (look for community manager Acheval's post lower on the page)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 Apr 2006, 18:58

No SF with the game either. We know and we're happy! :-D

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: To Demo or Not to Demo?

Unread postby Salisa » 14 Apr 2006, 03:05

Angelspit wrote:On Thursday, the demo will be a nice opportunity to see how Heroes V has evolved during the past few months. However, some people might want to wait until the final release to avoid any spoiler.

What will you do?
I've totally learned my lesson's Always ALWAYS try before you buy

i'm trying but it's losing namely much is still to hard to use as in the town menu's, thing's don't work as advertised, camera angles still restricted, my gating creatures don't, Um if the game is ready for release why is so much unpolished still?
I can tell now that only Wog will save it or one of the other mod'ing communities
the balance is still terrilbe to bad you closed beta guys spent so much time mod'ing the game so the bugs got ignored or maybe they were so busy ignoring you that only Mod'ing kept you playing whatever but atm I even think Homm 4 is better then this direction!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: To Demo or Not to Demo?

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Apr 2006, 08:51

Salisa wrote: the balance is still terrilbe to bad you closed beta guys spent so much time mod'ing the game so the bugs got ignored or maybe they were so busy ignoring you that only Mod'ing kept you playing whatever but atm I even think Homm 4 is better then this direction!
Acutally, there was a humungous list of bugs that were compiled in closed beta, and almost as many requests for improvements. Since I can't presently play the demo, I don't know how much of our input has been used though. The crazy modding happened with the open beta, were people in general seemed to believe that they were there to have fun first and foremost. A good example f this is how everyone decided to go and use the larger battlefields that were included but was known to not have a chance to show up in the fianl version instead of those that were at that time planned to be used.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 14 Apr 2006, 11:25

I'll still in the dark ages with only dial up so I'll have to wait for the final game. Because of my inability to download it I did not vote.

GOW

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 18 Apr 2006, 13:38

Grumpy Old Wizard wrote:I'll still in the dark ages with only dial up so I'll have to wait for the final game. Because of my inability to download it I did not vote.

GOW
Can you not get DSL/Cable in your area? There my difference in price on Dail-Up vs. Cable:

2nd Telephone Line Charge: $24.89 (Monthly)
Juno Dial Up ISP Service: $9.95 (Monthly)
Total Monthly Cost $34.84

Cable Modem: $44.89 (Monthly)

Difference $10.05 per month!!!!! I still can't beleive that people are still using Dail-Up after all this time! Once you go to high-speed connection, you'll simply never look back! I D/L the HoMMV demo (668 MB) in less then 50 minutes.

Grumpy...Pony-Up @ score a high speed connection. You'll love it!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 18 Apr 2006, 14:30

Judging from the results of this poll, it was very wise of Ubi to release a demo of the game. Many would probably have bought the game even without one, but I also suspect many were so unsure about how the whole thing would be to play that they would have waited for the first fan-based reviews/opinions before deciding - i.e. sales numbers might not start to climb for some time.

I am not sure what impact low initial sales numbers would have, but according to our local games distributor those of Heroes 4 were low, and only started to climb after several months. This couldn't have been good, reputation-wise. Any entertainment product is judged by its initial success, and the lack of such a breakthrough is bound to put some pressure on its producers - this is especially obvious by the measurement of movie box office sales. Still, a game is released in its final platform; there is no moving on from cinema to DVD for Heroes games. The bosses would not be pleased with the game designers if the overwhelming success they always invision for their newest work fails to manifest itself. Impatience is the key word.

I am glad they released a demo for play - it has certainly helped me come to my decision.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Apr 2006, 10:53

I demoed.And Im glad I did.It saved me a lot of money.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Apr 2006, 11:59

DaemianLucifer wrote:I demoed.And Im glad I did.It saved me a lot of money.
Bad game you think?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 Apr 2006, 14:18

Bit weird that the demo contains maps that (seemingly at least) are taken out of the middle of campaigns. Wouldn't a couple of standalone-maps (with limited content to preserve some material) be better? To avoid spoiling the campaigns I mean.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Apr 2006, 14:38

They wanted to show of Haven and Inferno. Looks to me as the maps are one after another, so they probably picked them so you can play both races without breaking the flow of the story. (seems as there are 5 maps per campaign, based on the number of the Haven campaign).

They might not have had any finished stand alone maps .
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 20 Apr 2006, 16:20

There are certainly a bunch of standalone maps, but those were made for MP. Not that that has to be bad- broken alliance was in structure a MP map, but it still made for one heck of a demo!
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Return to “Heroes V-VI”