Heroes VI Centralized Wish List

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
krs
Peasant
Peasant

Heroes VI Centralized Wish List

Unread postby krs » 26 Feb 2012, 12:29

* UPDATE: 1 week and 25 votes later. I would like to thank all of you who expressed their opinion on the matter. The list made a couple of points.

- The community is really united behind most of the changes/fixes envisioned for Heroes 6. Transparency/Bug Fixes/Custom MP maps/Balance/New Factions/Skilltree remake being the ones more prominent.

- Town screens are by far not the top of the list! There are other things desired most.

- There are strong opinions about a feature or 2 but from a minority. No matter how great they sound, they just do not have enough traction.

- the agreement is more on the we need to fix this, and way less on on how to fix it.

Maybe I will sound harsh, but from only 25 votes on such a topic I can only conclude that we as a hole really deserve the state the game is in. This picture describes the whole thing better.

* UPDATE Vote List and Chart after first votes. (Town Screen desirability is used as a reference in Chart)

Voters list: fraudatio, War-overlord, krs, Dave_Jame, VitoZephyr, shop721A7D8FA, Hunwald, Mattmaxfr, alcibiades, argifontes, legolas_fsgk, lomvartus,Macros the Black, Mike80D, mikkelgro, Simpelicity, saudstyla, wimfrits, kelben

* This is a thread started on Heroes Community and now duplicated in the official forums and celestial heavens. While the data is centralized from all forums the discussions will remain separate.

Heroes 6 Wish List Chart.pdf
Heroes 6 Wish List Votes.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is intended as a prioritized wish list with all the things we want fixed/implemented in Heroes 6 and its expansions.
Almost all points in this list were addressed at one point or another in hundreds of threads. The scope of this list is to be a centralized place with all the major problems/wishes we have with Heroes 6. Off course some of the wishes are too extravagant (fitting more a Heroes 7) and will not be centralized here. The emphasis is on the feasible ones in Heroes 6 in the remaining time frame.

It is expected that the list should undergo some changes with the first 10-15 posts but after that it should be more or less it's final state.

Format:

<Suggestion Name> - <Short description>
- Desirability: (0-100) => (0-30:Low, 30-70:Medium, 70-100:High) - How badly you want this feature to be implemented/fixed.
- Complexity: An estimate on how complex the problem/solution is to fix/implement. (It is here mainly for a better deadline estimation.)
- When to implement: (ASAP, 1's Expansion, 2'nd Expansion). (Depending on the first 2).

Users will vote only on Desirability (comments can be made on complexity and time-frame also, they can be adjusted). You do not have to vote on every item since its a long list, but it will sure help getting more accurate numbers. If you do not vote on an item the actual value at the time of your post will be taken into account.

You can vote as you wish from 0 to 100. Just use increments of 5 (50 or 55 or 80 and not 31.245 or 37). Please do not down-vote or over-vote intentionally. Even in a large sample you will bias the list towards your wishes.

For easier voting, here a blank voting list. Copy paste and fill in the numbers.
Feel free to request new things to the list or changes to existing ones or their description.

"
0 More Transparency

1 Bugs
1.1 Fix All Bugs
1.2 Fix Units on Helium Bug

2 Community
2.1 RMG
2.2 Battle Replays
2.3 More SP/MP Options
2.4 Allow Custom MP Maps
2.5 Sim Turns

3 UI
3.1 Town Screens
3.2 Improved UI
3.4 More Detailed Info

4 Game Mechanics
4.1 Alternate Upgrades
4.1.1 More Same Tier Units
4.2 Disable Shared Creature pool(Opt.)
4.3 Diversify Battlefields
4.4 New Adventure Buildings
4.5 Tweak Town Conversion
4.6 Ballance Factions
4.7 New Factions
4.8 Remove Spells from Skill Tree
4.9 Skill Tree Remake
4.10 New Resource:Blood Diamonds
4.11 Place Units like in Heroes 3

5 AI
5.1 Battle AI
5.2 Adventure AI
5.3 Campaign AI

6 Conflux
6.1 Fix Conflux
6.2 Offline Conflux
6.3 Improved Chat

7 Special Section
7.1 Mods
7.2 Better Editor
"

Here goes the list!

0) More Transparency - Inform the community on every aspect of Heroes 6 development.
Desirability: High(85); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

1) Bugs:

1.1) All Bugs Fixed - There are entire books on different bugs. Fix them! VIP Bug list here(TBD).
Desirability: High(78); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP/Ongoing;
Details:
- Fix sound bug when animations are accelerated
- Flickering Battle cursor bug
- Angel Watch full gauge Bug
- Save games disappearing
- Hot-keys not working
- Praetorians giving fake buffs to enemies
etc.

1.2) Fix Units on Helium Bug - Fix sound bug when animations are accelerated
Desirability: High(90); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

2) Community: (Maps, Multi-player, Social)

2.1) RMG - Random Map Generator
Desirability: Medium(47); Complexity High; When: 1'st/2'nd expansion;

2.2) Battle Replays - Present us with a save feature for battles. Will help the community so much. New and veteran players alike. Will create a new type of content (Heroes related stuff is so sparse anyway), will help learning, will spread battle strategies etc.
Desirability: High(63); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

2.3) Add more single player and multi-player options - Allow more control when you start a map on difficulty settings and AI settings.
Desirability: High(68); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Specifics:
- Separate adventure AI difficulty from Battle AI difficulty.
- Map creator suggested difficulty

2.4) Allow Custom Maps in Multi-player - Right now they are not playable and multi-player is a major component of Heroes experience.
Desirability: High(93); Complexity: low; When: ASAP;

2.5) Add Simultaneous turns - This will speed up Multiplayer a lot and make it more desirable overall. At least introduce it in a basic form like: "Until there is a possible player interaction allow players to move simultaneously"
Desirability: High(90); Complexity: High; When: 1st Expansion;

3) User Interface:

3.1) Town Screens - H3 or H5 style town screens or a combination.
Desirability: High(60); Complexity: High; When: 1'st Expansion;

3.2) Improved UI - Tweak the User Interface to allow a smoother game experience
Desirability: High(70); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Specifics:
- Add Numbers to hero path.
- When leveling up allow direct access to hero skill tree.
- When in town highlight on mini-map in what town you are
- Separate Towns from Forts (You do not build in forts).
- Make Artifacts Bigger on Adventure Map - Nice Artifact Artwork but too small on Adventure map to distinguish.

3.4) Detailed information on Town Screens / Kingdom overview / Hero screens - It is a strategy game / kingdom builder, etc. Detailed information about everything should be readily available.
Desirability: High(64); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Details:
- Make it clear how many stats you get from what item
- Make it clear where all the +creatures come.

4) Game Mechanics:

4.1) Alternative Creature Upgrades - At least one alternative in each tier. This will also address the small creature pool.
When: 1'st/2'nd expansion; Desirability: Medium(60); Complexity: Medium;

4.1.1) More Units in the same tier - Castles should have more than 7 Creatures to choose from.
When: 1'st/2'nd expansion; Desirability: Medium(50); Complexity: Medium;

4.2) Add an Option to Disable Shared Creature Pool
Desirability: High(37); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

4.3) New battle grounds - Add more diversity into fights.
Desirability: Medium(47); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Description:
- Add Dwarven treasury like fights.
- Different size battlegrounds.
- Different unit placements.
- Make buff Structures count in Neutral fights also.
- Reinvigorate cover mechanism.

4.4) New Adventure Map buildings - Add more variety to Adventure map buildings.
Desirability: Medium(55); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Details:
- Add Windmills, Watermills, Gardens
- Add Dragon Utopias.
- Diversify the Adventure Map objects, beyond plain +Stat givers.

4.5) Tweak Town Conversion - Right now everybody blindly converts towns asap so tweak the current "We are the Borg, prepare to be assimilated approach"
Desirability: High(42); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;
Details:
- Make conversion more expensive.
- Add a timer to conversion (1 week or so)
- Disable Town conversion as a map option.

4.6) Balance Factions - Factions are hardly balance.
Complexity: Low; When: ASAP/Ongoing; Desirability: High(90);
Specifics:
- Racial skills are unbalanced. Necromancy the best while Inferno's Gating is situational and Sporadic.
- Healing is still OP.

4.7) Add New Factions - Make them Noticeably Different from the existing ones. (Special skills, special racial ability, special creature interaction)
Desirability: High(83); Complexity: High; When:1'st expansion/2'nd Expansion;
Details:
- Old Fortress seems to be a favorite
- Dungeon, Academy, Sylvan factions

4.8) Remove spells from skill tree - Rework the magic tree and make some spells available only to some factions.
Desirability: Medium(50); Complexity: Medium; When: ASAP;
Details:
- One solution would be to Reintroduce Magic Guilds
- leave only basic, advanced,expert stuff in skill tree, the spells themselves should be moved back into towns.
- Separate Spell Scrolls from Artifact merchant.

4.9) Remake skill tree - Different factions should learn different skills (H5 like skill tree, but with less complexity)
Desirability: High(92); Complexity: Medium; When: ASAP;

4.10) Add an additional resource: Blood Diamonds - Too less room strategy with only 1 rare resource. When it becomes unavailable it just stops you from building for many turns.
Desirability: Medium(97); Complexity: Medium; When: ASAP;
Details:
- Make factions dependent more on one or another resource.
- At least one faction heavy dependent on both rares.
- Will resolve most of the cases where you cannot build anymore because your out of crystals.

4.11) Place Units on Battlefield like in Heroes 3 - Right now you cannot say Unit deployment order on battlefield from unit placement in hero slots.
Desirability: High(80); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

5) AI:

5.1) Better Battle AI - Do not always target the same units, do not always heal, do not always wait with archers, etc.
Desirability: Medium(45); Complexity Low; When: ASAP;

5.2) Better Adventure AI - Make opponent AI more challenging and more human like.
Desirability: Medium(20); Complexity: High; When: 1'st/2'nd Expansion;

5.3) Better AI in Campaigns - Right now after 1'st month it poses no challenge.
Desirability: Medium(50); Complexity: High; When: 1'st Expansion;
Details:
- Castles found in 4'th months without even the basic buildings built in them.
- AI Splits its armies too much making to easy to defeat him.

6) Conflux:

6.1) Fix Conflux - Fix connectivity issues.
Desirability: High(60); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

6.2) Off-line mode for Conflux - Syncronizable off-line Conflux
Desirability: High(35); Complexty: Low; When: ASAP;

6.3) Improved Chat in Conflux - Make it usable for in-game chatting.
Desirability: Low(33); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

7) Special Section: Not all people realize how they are affected by these subtle changes. But they will improve the game for everyone so they are a must.

7.1) Game must be fully moddable - User mods have made the series so much better. User mods can fix most of the things in this list. At least un-encrypt game files.
Desirability: High(100); Complexity: Low; When: ASAP;

7.2)Map editor Improvements - Improve the Map editor interface, improve it's scripting capabilities.
Desirability: High(100); Complexity: Medium; When: ASAP;

CHANGELOG: updated Desirability values after votes: fraudatio, War-overlord, krs.
Last edited by krs on 02 Mar 2012, 11:34, edited 9 times in total.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 26 Feb 2012, 12:44

Your values somewhat amuse me. All the haters have been hammering on about how bad Heroes 6 is compared to older Heroes games in pretty much all departments, while apparently the most wished edits all relate to 'a more balanced multiplayer experience'. With so many people whining that the game is oversimplified, there's very few folks wanting a new resource or a changed town conversion system. There's also actually very few people complaining about the Conflux and/or fixing offline play, which is something a lot higher on my list.

Before this turns into another "Heroes 6 is terrible/great" thread though, I have to say I don't really mind either way; just thought the numbers were funny.

Do applaud your effort, great to see someone is consolidating everything and such.

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 26 Feb 2012, 12:51

"With so many people whining that the game is oversimplified, there's very few folks wanting a new resource" - This is sooo true! Someone said its all about "We do not like Heroes 6 how it is, but no major changes please!"

That is why I have created the list in the first place. To help find out what do we really want from Heros 6.

So would you take 5 minutes and input your own values for things :).

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 27 Feb 2012, 05:08

- Desirability: (0-100) => (0-30:Low, 30-70:Medium, 70-100:High) - How badly you want this feature to be implemented/fixed.
I'm not sure I understand completely. What if I don't want a feature to be implemented at all? Do I vote 0 on it, or do I vote below 50?

0-25: Please don't implement this, it would ruin the game.
26-50: I'd rather not see it implemented
51-75: This would be an improvement.
76-100: This should have been in the game in the first place and it's unplayable until they fix this.

Something like that?
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 27 Feb 2012, 06:57

Thank you for interest.

Well... if you do not want a feature implemented at all give it the lowest possible 0.

What I did for my vote is... I took 1-2 references and the rest of the values I've put with those in mind.
EG:
- I really want badly simultaneous turns so I gave them 100.
- For more of same tier units I though would be really nice but not such a priority ATM, and given other more stringent issues I gave it a 50.
- Tweak town conversion. I do not care too much but it would not bother me to have it implemented, on a second thought it will make the game better somewhat. So i gave it a 25.

Hope it helps.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 Feb 2012, 19:46

Any chance anyone can make this into a nice online questionnaire... otherwise remind em about in next weekend...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 27 Feb 2012, 20:25

Well... if you do not want a feature implemented at all give it the lowest possible 0.

What I did for my vote is... I took 1-2 references and the rest of the values I've put with those in mind.
EG:
- I really want badly simultaneous turns so I gave them 100.
- For more of same tier units I though would be really nice but not such a priority ATM, and given other more stringent issues I gave it a 50.
- Tweak town conversion. I do not care too much but it would not bother me to have it implemented, on a second thought it will make the game better somewhat. So i gave it a 25.

Hope it helps.
It does :)
I think it's important that everyone has the same idea about what the different scores represent, otherwise the votes are going to be skewed simply based on one person thinking lower than 50 is "don't want it, and the lower it goes the more I never want to see this implemented" and another person thinking "lower than 50 is something I still want but isn't very important to me" if that makes sense...
ThunderTitan wrote:Any chance anyone can make this into a nice online questionnaire... otherwise remind em about in next weekend...
Just copy the blank voting list. You might have thought it was a table of contents if you skipped through the post.

----------

0 More Transparency: 50

1 Bugs
1.1 Fix All Bugs: 70
1.2 Fix Units on Helium Bug: 50

2 Community
2.1 RMG: 25 I'd rather just see a working editor though
2.2 Battle Replays: 35
2.3 More SP/MP Options: 50
2.4 Allow Custom MP Maps: 100
2.5 Sim Turns: 70

3 UI
3.1 Town Screens: 25 (I prefer H6 over H5 here, but of course the old town screens were the best)
3.2 Improved UI: 100 just for the movement path thing. I want to know how many turns it will take to get somewhere and I consider the game unplayable without that.
3.4 More Detailed Info: 50

4 Game Mechanics
4.1 Alternate Upgrades: 40
4.1.1 More Same Tier Units: 90 I'd rather have this than alternate upgrades, because this works better with the new creature tier system imo. They'd need to fix the balance between the different tiers first though.
4.2 Disable Shared Creature pool(Opt.): 100
4.3 Diversify Battlefields: 65
4.4 New Adventure Buildings: 95 maps look pretty boring atm
4.5 Tweak Town Conversion: 50 see suggested wish below
4.6 Balance Factions: 90
4.7 New Factions: 95 especially H3 Fortress :D Would be interesting to see how Gorgons/Hydra's work with the creature tiers.
4.8 Remove Spells from Skill Tree: 25
4.9 Skill Tree Remake: 10
4.10 New Resource:Blood Diamonds: 70 mostly because I dislike waiting on more crystals before building a portal. I think it would be cool if the Blood Diamonds were used for miscelanious buildings (portals, special buildings, etc) and the Crystals were used for creature dwellings because choosing between building a portal or a dwelling is no fun. You always just end up choosing the dwelling and hoping you don't need the portal until later.

5 AI
5.1 Battle AI: 60
5.2 Adventure AI: 50
5.3 Campaign AI: 70

6 Conflux
6.1 Fix Conflux: 75
6.2 Offline Conflux: 75
6.3 Improved Chat: 10

7 Special Section
7.1 Mods: 100
7.2 Better Editor: 9999999999999999999999 okay seriously though 100 but this is an absolute must. Get some inspiration from the Warcraft 3 editor if you really don't know how to build an easy to use, powerful map editor in a 3D game but please just fix this.

SUGGESTED WISH: disable town conversion (optional at start of map): 100 because I'm sick of the whole "we are the Borg, prepare to be assimilated approach to conquering towns in Heroes 6. Having mixed troops adds so much more to the strategy aspect of the game. I honestly can't believe they even implemented this garbage.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Feb 2012, 15:22

Macros the Black wrote: Just copy the blank voting list. You might have thought it was a table of contents if you skipped through the post.
That's actually what i was thinking of taking too long...

The weekend it is i guess.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

krs
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby krs » 28 Feb 2012, 17:25

ThunderTitan wrote: The weekend it is i guess.
I have looked a little on the online survey solutions available. The free ones limit the survey to 10 questions so more have to be done. But anyone is really up to it... imho a quick discussion thread or a 1-2h irc chat session between some informed players would result in a much better survey.

To make it clear. there should be a survey for a Tweaked Town Conversion. And the options something like 1) Make conversion more expensive.
2) Add a timer to conversion (1 week or so) 3) Disable Town conversion as a map option 4) None of the above but the current one is not good needs tweaking. 5) Other (...and here is my idea)

So not to have too many 5's a short brainstorming on possible solutions would really help.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 29 Feb 2012, 12:01

0 More Transparency: 30

1 Bugs
1.1 Fix All Bugs: 100
1.2 Fix Units on Helium Bug: 100

2 Community
2.1 RMG: 0
2.2 Battle Replays: 0
2.3 More SP/MP Options: 20
2.4 Allow Custom MP Maps: 50
2.5 Sim Turns: 10

3 UI
3.1 Town Screens: 10 (nice for the first 6 times. After that, I prefer higher performance over high town graphics)
3.2 Improved UI: 80 (seperate town from forts and add numbers to path. Don't care much for the rest)
3.4 More Detailed Info: 100

4 Game Mechanics
4.1 Alternate Upgrades: 25 (nice but not that needed. Currently every unit is unique. With alternative upgrades you create overlap)
4.1.1 More Same Tier Units: 0 (I think 7 tiers is more than enough. Games do not last long enough to make >7 tiers viable)
4.2 Disable Shared Creature pool(Opt.): 0 (why?)
4.3 Diversify Battlefields: 20
4.4 New Adventure Buildings: 30
4.5 Tweak Town Conversion: 10 (adding an option to disable is fine. But cost is high enough as it is. Timer is not needed imo)
4.6 Balance Factions: 80
4.7 New Factions: 30
4.8 Remove Spells from Skill Tree: 0 (I'd like to see that in H7. In H6 this would require complete rebalancing of the entire game. = IMPOSSIBLE)
4.9 Skill Tree Remake: 70
4.10 New Resource:Blood Diamonds: 0. (more resources = more randomness and less strategy (unless you count randomness as strategy). The argument that more different resources enable more building is not correct; more resources enable more building)

5 AI
5.1 Battle AI: 70
5.2 Adventure AI: 50
5.3 Campaign AI: 80

6 Conflux
6.1 Fix Conflux: 100
6.2 Offline Conflux: 60
6.3 Improved Chat: 20

7 Special Section
7.1 Mods: 60
7.2 Better Editor: 80
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Feb 2012, 18:41

wimfrits wrote:more resources = more randomness and less strategy (unless you count randomness as strategy)
Dealing with randomness is a big part of strategy... no plan survuves contact with the enemy and all that.

What you're talking about is more along the lines of balance and mapmaking when it comes to random towns etc.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 29 Feb 2012, 19:26

I'm having a deja-vu here... ;)

Strictly speaking; sure, randomness is a part of strategy. Just not the strategy I like. I wouldn't play chess when the wind blowing off pieces now and then would be part of the game. Even though that's far more realistic.

In the case of HoMM, if randomness plays too much a part, the game is decided by randomness instead of by skill. Both me and my opponents had to forfeit too many times because of random factors in the first weeks of a map to be fun

Kelben
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kelben » 01 Mar 2012, 07:40

You can count the post of wimfrits as representative of my opinion too. Only one thing I would give very high priority (100) is the simultaneous turns in multiplayer. This is in my mind the only way to play heroes in multiplayer reasonably (e.g without taking ages).

Otherwise I am on the same line of thoughts regarding all the rest.

To join the resource debate having to pick between a dwelling or the portals is actually some sort of strategical choice between more units or feel confident creeping farther.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 03 Mar 2012, 21:50

wimfrits wrote: Strictly speaking; sure, randomness is a part of strategy. Just not the strategy I like. I wouldn't play chess when the wind blowing off pieces now and then would be part of the game. Even though that's far more realistic.
Pretty sure random tornadoes murdering your troops isn't something that's likely to happen in a real battlefield...

My point was that some randomness isn't bad... the problem comes when it's decisive...

As for resources, it's not their number per se that's the problem, but how they're used and placed on the maps...

What's really at play is that less resource = easier to balance... and there's a reason why chess has the same units on both sides...

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 11 Mar 2012, 07:23

Been hurling myself down mountains in Austria the past week, hence the late reply..
ThunderTitan wrote:Pretty sure random tornadoes murdering your troops isn't something that's likely to happen in a real battlefield...
Naturally. But as it's kind of hard to harass wooden pieces with disease, quicksand, sinkholes, fatigue etc, I used a wind analogy.
I dind't realize I'd have to explain that..
My point was that some randomness isn't bad... the problem comes when it's decisive...
That's exactly my point as well.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 13 Mar 2012, 06:44

wimfrits wrote: Naturally. But as it's kind of hard to harass wooden pieces with disease, quicksand, sinkholes, fatigue etc, I used a wind analogy.
I dind't realize I'd have to explain that..
Quicksand, really...

The wind thing is way too random and unlikely... mine placement is def not in the same category... i didn't think i'd have to explain that... :tongue:

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 14 Mar 2012, 18:38

Oh come on!
There are a multitude of factors influencing the course of battle. If I wrote down 80 more would you still start bickering over one of them instead of facing the facts?
You probably would. ;|

Return to “Heroes V-VI”