Anyone still enjoying the world of H5?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 08 Aug 2012, 15:14

Well Yurian Stonebow, your kindness certainly made my morning Java taste considerably better. :D

In case you've not seen my latest map-posting...I just added another carte. "Heroes of Ashan" has not the eye-candy work of most anything I make but it "could" prove to be one of my best efforts.

One aspect on this map that I did not discuss at EE is that a player's 2 Heroes can only use one set of upgrades.(early game). With all I have read "everywhere" concerning alt-upgrades I have found playing this map with both...fun.

Being forced to use both has made me get out of habits and I am finding having to use all creatures in a faction...refreshing. Not from the statiscal quagmire of balance, stats, etc. but by ignoring all that jazz and just playing with things as they were made. :D

Debates about what is "good/bad" or what should be "in/out" of the HoMM experience seems to me, a near-sighted approach to the future of this game. If I had all power, most everything would be in and available for use and every player would pick what they "believe-in" :D ...end of Faery-story.

In map-making, sometimes "less is more"; depending, sometimes by default on the goal but when it comes to our beloved TBS with a hint of RPG, <imo>bring it on...all of it.

Btw, I must applaud your sig..."With solidarity". It testifies of a great spirit behind it.

Make it great!

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 08 Aug 2012, 20:25

Hi Markkur (and others still into H5).

Count me in to the merry band, we happy few, we band of brothers....

I have been with H5 since it first came out, through Hof and now ToE. I thouroughly enjoy my free time being a xenophobe and beating the world having started with (usually) nothing.

I tend to find most of my maps from Maps4heroes, but recently plucked a few from Kartenarchiv.

I only play vs the AI, and at different times prefer to play with differing races, having found ways to master each of them over the years.

My playing style would not suit PvP as I prefer to clear my own territory before wandering out into the wider world, usually with a sizeable army, leaving the tanks behind to guard my home with a secondary hero to visit windmills, watermills, and sort the incoming caravans. They usually hold a bag of gold as well if I can get them one.

Lateley I have been playing Academy, and build Havez to war machines, light, dark, destructive, and enlightenment. Using mentoring to raise later heroes to also visit the enemy. I usually end up with home made artefacts to raise attack, initiative and dmg to enemy defence.

The type of map I prefer is large (or bigger) with underground, some water, a grail, ffa, no allies, and non symmetrical. I have raided most of the maps from CH, and have plenty more from M4H. I keep all fan made maps in a seperate folder and drag them in H5 Maps folder as I wish to play them, avoiding any Mod problems.

Any hard core players out there will probably think me a wuss for my style and only vs AI, but I enjoy it, and keep coming back for more.

Happy to post more detail or answer any questions from newbies etc should this post raise them. Not happy to answer questions such as, "Why are you such a wuss?" though. Each to their own.

Bonzer
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 09 Aug 2012, 15:14

Bonzer wrote: I tend to find most of my maps from Maps4heroes, but recently plucked a few from Kartenarchiv.

My playing style would not suit PvP as I prefer to clear my own territory before wandering out into the wider world, ... They usually hold a bag of gold as well if I can get them one.
M4H is "thee map-site, ofc" but I had not heard of the other before. Thanks for mentioning both for warriors that may be new to H5. H6 has indeed brought some folks to earlier HoMM.
Bonzer wrote: Lately I have been playing Academy, and build Havez to war machines, light, dark, destructive, and enlightenment. Using mentoring to raise later heroes to also visit the enemy. I usually end up with home made artefacts to raise attack, initiative and dmg to enemy defence.
Too funny, I just deleted a level 30 Havez that I was saving for duel-maps until I realized he had 8 skills instead of 6 and the Editor does not support the bonus in Hero set-up..
Bonzer wrote: The type of map I prefer is large (or bigger) with underground, some water, a grail, ffa, no allies, and non symmetrical. I have raided most of the maps from CH, and have plenty more from M4H. I keep all fan made maps in a seperate folder and drag them in H5 Maps folder as I wish to play them, avoiding any Mod problems.
Ditto all the way. :D Also glad you mentioned the "handling" of maps, since the file structure of H5 is a solid as swiss-cheese. I keep the profile folders (mine-only) as well, just adding at times to view, test etc. and after promptly removing. I also copy the map into Maps in the case of save-corruption.
Bonzer wrote: I only play vs the AI, and at different times prefer to play with differing races, having found ways to master each of them over the years.

Any hard core players out there will probably think me a wuss for my style and only vs AI, but I enjoy it, and keep coming back for more.
I suspect you met some dark-magic in the past when admitting you liked H5. :D When I came late to mapping; most responses to me were of the "RU nutz?" variety. I'm glad I paid no attention because what I found in H5 and its difficult editor was a great world to explore and I have enjoyed it all.

The typical attitudes of "I'm a true purist and its H3 or nothing" or "we few that play H4, fill in the blank" or H2 all the way, it's went downhill or on a different topic it's MP! SP is a waste of time; ...well to each his own but I like every HoMM that I've played and for different reasons. (4 is the only one that I've yet to try but intend to get it if it will work w/ 7)

I found out the hard way just how different the fan-base is when it comes to maps too and would guess that's why folks will make a map or two and then say forget it!, it's not worth it.

I craft maps in the fashion that I like to see the world, however I don't expect others to care about the land and how it is presented, mainly lords of battle. I may be rare in this (I doubt) but even though it's fantasy I still have to construct scenes by "my" rules, because just tossing everything into a big soup doesn't work for me...too rigid.

Btw, if you've an idea for a map for yourself but don't have the time to create it, I'd be happy to make one for a brother warrior. :D

Anyway, Cheers to your response.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 16 Aug 2012, 14:10

I will be trying H5 soon and am kind of excited. :S

markkur
Demon
Demon

Unread postby markkur » 17 Aug 2012, 13:42

Good. <imvho> If you treat it as a new game, you'll probably have a good time.

What I mean is that I think with a game like HoMM it is too easy for of us to pollute the next individual gaming experience, by bringing old-debates and our historical notepads and checklists on the adventure. :D

I have a friend that has a keen analytical mind (i do also to lesser degree) but his is always..."on the job". :D It's not easy to do but I try to make my "built-in critic" take a vacation when I start something new.

Have fun

Return to “Heroes V-VI”