Stronghold.......The Barbarous Seven

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cher
Peasant
Peasant

Stronghold.......The Barbarous Seven

Unread postby cher » 15 Jan 2012, 22:46

I cannot win this one to save my life. Help please!

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Jan 2012, 23:25

Have you read the walkthrough? Could be some tips there.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

cher
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cher » 15 Jan 2012, 23:38

read it over and over and over again. The one time I got all 7 upgrades I didn't have enough army to win against the final onslaught. Pretty frustrated down here in Oz

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 16 Jan 2012, 01:56

It shouldn't be too difficult if you play it correctly. Make sure you have an advanced town portal as early as possible and recruit all the free creatures before fighting any of the neutral creatures. Otherwise maybe drop the difficulty?

And you don't have to kill the Boss creature if that's what you're doing.

cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

do you have a crony or minion?

Unread postby cjlee » 16 Jan 2012, 14:02

This map will be MUCH easier to win if you have either picked up a minion from a previous mission, OR you have Mentoring and can spawn reasonably strong secondary heroes.

Your priorities:

1) Get multiple heroes. It will probably be quite tough to finish it without at least 3 secondary heroes. You need 1 near your main (only) town and 2 more chasing down annoying sanctuary heroes at any time.

2) pick up all fellow Barbarians. They will join. If in doubt, right click the stack. Because so many barbarians join, it is good to move fast - don't let the enemy kill your allies before they join!

3) run Sandor amuck. The usual barbarian stuff - kill everything. Should be a breeze. Of course, the main reasons for killing everything are to level up your hero and to open the map so that you can see where your damned enemies come from. (As they are sanctuary people, they can walk on water so you've got to explore all the coastline to have plenty of warning before they come.)

4) Get town portal asap. It sucks to have enemies trample your lands. More importantly, if these infuriating fishes and sea snakes infest a fort belonging to you, you have a big fight to take it back.

5) Maltz's walkthrough is right in that it is better to keep cyclopses out of most battles. Until they are upgraded (with range attacks), it is hard to heal them with regeneration or life drain. Having extra numbers don't always make sense in Heroes VI. You will find it easier to have a perfect victory WITHOUT deploying one eyed fatsos. Furthermore, you need more open slots in Sandor's armies because of the recruits.

I personally do not find Champion creatures useful in Heroes VI, thanks to the way Ubihole messed up the game. A bigger stack of some smaller creature, especially a damage-dealer like Cerberus or a caster-shooter like Pearl Princess, is almost always superior to a smaller stack of so-called Champions. Don't bother to waste resources building the cyclopses' home - do it only at the end of the game. Not as if you need Cyclopses to beat your final opponent.

I haven't fought as many battles as most people since I was playing Heroes VI using someone's savegames (saved a lot of time that way), but it is quite obvious that certain stacks are less useful than others.

Goblins should be minimally hired - just have 3-4 stacks of 1 each to cast traps nonstop.
Real power comes in the Maulers. They are more important to your army than Orc units were in Heroes V.
Harpies are very damaging but get targeted too often. If you don't have Life Drain, it is wise not to deploy harpies.
Unless you are a weirdo who plays Sandor as a Magic hero, Dreamreavers are only useful for slowing down the enemy/ speeding your own side.
Centaurs are far better than Jaguar Warriors. Unless you have a lot of Jaguar Warriors with life drain, the Jaguar guys won't recover enough health to make up for all the damage they take. In contrast, since Centaurs can use Life Drain in ranged attacks, they survive far longer.

My preference is to use goblins, spells and dreamreavers to slow down the enemy and pick them off with ranged units and maulers, rather than to charge in jaguar warriors like some people. This isn't Heroes V, where initiative and speed bonuses Really Matter to orcs.

cher
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby cher » 16 Jan 2012, 21:20

I finally did it, honestly, it took me a week to get this one. Now I can go watch some tennis.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 16 Jan 2012, 22:50

Strange that you had such a hard time, this mission was fairly easy for me. The hardest part was not losing too many units to the 40 neutral sanctuary stacks I had to destroy (path of blood).
I couldn't be bothered to manually fight every battle so I ended up having massive losses in the end. When mukao (that's his name right) arrived his army was considered a 'high' thread by the AI. It's a good thing sanctuary is so horrible at siege and I had stockpiled over 600 goblins.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Return to “Heroes V-VI”