Where do you think Blazing and Radiant Glories come from?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
cjlee
Spectre
Spectre

Where do you think Blazing and Radiant Glories come from?

Unread postby cjlee » 15 Jan 2012, 17:50

I was looking at a manga, Deadman Wonderland, recently and was intrigued by a major character, Shiro, who looks exactly like a Blazing/Radiant glory.

Given that the manga first came out in 2007, it definitely predates Heroes VI.

I'm prejudiced here, but since I don't like the game, I don't like the Conflux and its problems, I don't like the bugs and I don't like Ubihole's entire attitude towards the whole thing including its patch problems and forum problems, I have been wondering where these morons got their inspiration from.

We already know that Spring Spirits are Medusas in another language. (Their ability description is even called Eye of the Medusa for crying out loud!)

Now I propose that Blazing/Radiant glories were inspired by Deadman Wonderland.

Well folks, how about your own theories as to where these ridiculous Heroes VI creatures come from? The Maniacs and Demented really look like manga characters, but I've read too many manga to identify any specific source.

The Heroes VI vampires look more like manga vampires than traditional Western vampires.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 15 Jan 2012, 20:05

Umm... Spring Spirits are Medusas? When I hear Medusa I think of the greek mythology Medusa which involves a gaze turning people to stone and snake hair. Spring Spirits have neither of those.

Anyway, origin of H6 creatures...

Haven should be pretty much self-explanatory for the most part - human troops and nuns (Vestals were actually holy virgins in Rome). Shooting light out of their hands wasn't part of a nun's job, but then again kinght never sat on horses made of light either. Griffins are mythological beings and Celestials are angels. Haven has always been the Not-Catholic Holy Warriors after all. The Glories are the only thing I haven't seen before. I googled that character you mentioned and she looks a bit like them, mainly because of those markings/suit/whatever. They're supposed to be some sort of Light Elemental.

Inferno's Maniacs look like someone chained up a ghoul and set it on fire and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they did and the Maniacs probably thought it was awesome. Cerberus is a three-headed dog from greek mythology, Succubi have been known as men-seducing demons since the Dark Ages. I don't know who came up with a tentacled tumor that spits out baby-dragons but I'd give points for originality here.

Necropolis has your standard-fare undead: Skeletons, Ghouls, Ghosts, Vampires. The vampires don't sparkle, which is good. Lich as a magical undead is also pretty standard. Lamassu look like egyptian sphinxes which is very cool, except they suck terribly in battle. I can't say I've ever seen anything like the Fate Spinners.

Sanctuary has Naga (both the Coral Priestesses and the Kenshi) and Kappa (japanese water sprites). I'd say the Snow Maidens look like Japanese shrine maidens. Kirin are based on the Kirin/Quirin/Qilin/whatever spelling is correct today, a Chinese mythical creature. Spring Spirits look like Water spirit thingies I guess.

Stronghold has orcs, goblins, harpies, centaurs and cyclops, all well-known things. Most of them from Greek and Roman mythology.

So, yeah, most stuff comes from mythology and looks like those as well. If you check for example Wikipedia for those names you'll find pictures that look a lot like the H6 creatures. Keep in mind that if something is called a centaur, everybody will expect it to look like a human with the body of a horse, so obviously you can't just make it look completely original.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Re: Where do you think Blazing and Radiant Glories come from

Unread postby Mozared » 15 Jan 2012, 22:14

cjlee wrote:I was looking at a manga, Deadman Wonderland, recently and was intrigued by a major character, Shiro, who looks exactly like a Blazing/Radiant glory.

Given that the manga first came out in 2007, it definitely predates Heroes VI.

I'm prejudiced here, but since I don't like the game, I don't like the Conflux and its problems, I don't like the bugs and I don't like Ubihole's entire attitude towards the whole thing including its patch problems and forum problems, I have been wondering where these morons got their inspiration from.

We already know that Spring Spirits are Medusas in another language. (Their ability description is even called Eye of the Medusa for crying out loud!)

Now I propose that Blazing/Radiant glories were inspired by Deadman Wonderland.

Well folks, how about your own theories as to where these ridiculous Heroes VI creatures come from? The Maniacs and Demented really look like manga characters, but I've read too many manga to identify any specific source.

The Heroes VI vampires look more like manga vampires than traditional Western vampires.
Two notes;

1. Nothing is original. Your Shiro can be tracked back to descriptions of apparitions of angels back in the middle ages, and if you'd ask someone well versed in ancient mythology I'm sure he'd be able to point you even further back. Don't hate on Ubisoft for 'being inspired from other sources' or such. It's what they turn the things into, and how they fit into their world what matters.

2. Spring Spirits? Are you talking about Sanctuary's Mizu-Kami's? I think you're mixing stuff up, afaik Mizu-Kami is Japanese for 'Water Spirit'. Nothing to do with Medusa's, just the upgraded form that pretty much translates the name of the unupgraded form.

Jac
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Jac » 16 Jan 2012, 00:38

One more thing I'd like to add is never look to manga or anime to determine the origin of mythical creatures and legends, or you might just become the typical westerner youth who thinks Japan created the world.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 Jan 2012, 19:46

Hahahaha... seriously, they're pretty generic spirits of light... i really doubt you'd even be able to find the first time someone used them....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 17 Jan 2012, 11:58

ThunderTitan wrote:Hahahaha... seriously, they're pretty generic spirits of light... i really doubt you'd even be able to find the first time someone used them....
I've never seen them used before. My impression is that they are just some cheap unoriginal ethereal spirit slapped with a light elemental label.

However, I do like their sound effects and animation.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 17 Jan 2012, 12:31

Last time i saw a gloing human was in Rising Stars i think...

But you're right that they could just be any other ethereal spirit, just coloured golden...
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”