Is it really wise to get Heroes VI?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Oxi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

I like it

Unread postby Oxi » 23 Dec 2011, 10:32

Well I guess it depends how hard-core you play this game (and you obviously still play it). I didn't even notice that some bonuses don't get removed, thought this is fixed in 1.2 tho ?
I dont use hotkeys, so really not bothered by some of them not working :)

Also Heroes6 is by far better then all other versions, except Heroes3.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Re: I like it

Unread postby Mozared » 23 Dec 2011, 16:28

Oxi wrote:Well I guess it depends how hard-core you play this game (and you obviously still play it). I didn't even notice that some bonuses don't get removed, thought this is fixed in 1.2 tho ?
I dont use hotkeys, so really not bothered by some of them not working :)

Also Heroes6 is by far better then all other versions, except Heroes3.
Bugwise/in playability, it doesn't even get close to Heroes 4. That it's better than H5 is more of a testimony to how badly bugged that game was rather than how well polished this one is.

I don't use a lot of hotkeys myself, but heck, it's even the 'wait' and 'defend' commands we're talking about here. Some of those game-breaking bugs were meant to be fixed in 1.2, but I feel like that while a handful of them got fixed, a handful new ones popped up, plus a handful of the old ones still remain.

There's a whole thread with a detailed list of al the 1.2 bugs in this very board.

Aether_Wind
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Aether_Wind » 31 Dec 2011, 19:12

So, is it worth getting at half off? It's on sale on Steam for today

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 01 Jan 2012, 13:41

Before 1.2 it was a rather risky purchase - in that certain very annoying bugs could appear or not. 1.1 had returned a number of bugs that had been fixed and the picture didn't look all that appealing. Now there are still enough bugs for the devs to squash but frankly? It is so much better now, I'd suggest going for it.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 02 Jan 2012, 07:59

You forgot to mention about DRM - Conflux is often down and without it, you can't load your saves or keep progress in campaign.

Game is still far from finished state, so if someone didn't buy it yet, it would be better to wait for Complete/Gold/GotY edition.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 02 Jan 2012, 09:14

That pissed me off the other day yes.. Online saves are not compatible with offline so if your saves are online and the conflux is down you are temporarily screwed. This had better change in the future.. Still, at half price? I wouldn't think much about getting it.
- Metathron

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 02 Jan 2012, 19:39

Elvin wrote:Before 1.2 it was a rather risky purchase - in that certain very annoying bugs could appear or not. 1.1 had returned a number of bugs that had been fixed and the picture didn't look all that appealing. Now there are still enough bugs for the devs to squash but frankly? It is so much better now, I'd suggest going for it.
I'm having plenty of fun playing Dark Messiah at the moment. It's what I got for Christmas.

But now I've got somewhat sick of all the violence and am now playing Sim City 4 my other Christmas present. Heroes VI is a definate must-have for my birthday along with Crusader Kings II.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 02 Jan 2012, 20:56

Dark messiah was loads of fun, it made me like first person games for the first time :)
- Metathron

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Jan 2012, 00:25

I might be tempted when it's about $10, and we have at least the 1.3 patch; just going by the posts.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 03 Jan 2012, 06:59

if you're going by posts you're missing out on a lot of fun is all i can tell you. There are always people who will love a game and then there are people who will hate that same game, unfortunately in almost all cases the ones that hate that game will speak louder about it.

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 03 Jan 2012, 11:04

True, but at this point, I'm completely indifferent to whether I own the game or not. The changes were just not "radical" enough, for me to really want to own it. Maybe in H7 they'll be "brave" enough to actually put a different quantity of units into each faction. That will make it interesting. Right now, all factions are virtually the same.

Lekri
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Lekri » 03 Jan 2012, 11:47

I like the game a lot, when i can actually play it.
At the moment my brother and me hope for conflux to go up so we can continue our last night hot seat started game... it is very frustrating

PS i bought the game at -50% off from Steam sale. As it is at the moment i would not buy it at full price.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Jan 2012, 12:10

Not radical enough, how ironic.. The vast majority who dislike the game is exactly because they considered the changes radical. As for identical factions.. seriously? They play so much different from each other, the only thing they have in common is the skill system which could no doubt use an overhaul.
- Metathron

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 03 Jan 2012, 13:13

Elvin wrote:Before 1.2 it was a rather risky purchase - in that certain very annoying bugs could appear or not. 1.1 had returned a number of bugs that had been fixed and the picture didn't look all that appealing. Now there are still enough bugs for the devs to squash but frankly? It is so much better now, I'd suggest going for it.
After the devs do their jobs (read: fix bugs), I may buy it. At ~75% off.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Blocks100
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Blocks100 » 03 Jan 2012, 13:16

I bought it half-price, went straight to 1.2 and it's crashing every 10mins. I'd say stay the hell away from this pile of junk!

Are there any threads around here that discuss actual CTD fixes?

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 03 Jan 2012, 14:46

Crashing? Weird.. Last time that happened to me was in the beta and it wasn't nearly as frequent.
- Metathron

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 03 Jan 2012, 14:56

I'd say if you have to ask whether it's wise to buy it, then you already have your answer - at least for the moment.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 03 Jan 2012, 15:25

only crashes I ever had was in the pre-beta
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 05 Jan 2012, 01:42

Elvin wrote:Crashing? Weird.. Last time that happened to me was in the beta and it wasn't nearly as frequent.
Different PC configurations are so unexpected!
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 05 Jan 2012, 05:11

Dalai wrote:
Elvin wrote:Crashing? Weird.. Last time that happened to me was in the beta and it wasn't nearly as frequent.
Different PC configurations are so unexpected!
Yep, and that's exactly why it is so important to try and isolate and reproduce bugs: to make sure the problem is with the GAME and not the player. If the game works on nVidia cards but not Radeon cards, or stops working at any resolution higher than x, then that's something that can be fixed by the developers. Those problems are also easily duplicated because they should impact everyone regardless of configuration. But if the problem is user specific and is an issue of configurations, application interference, virii, or pirating, then there's really not much the developer can (or, in the case of pirating, should) do. There's no reason the developer should be punished for those, and it's silly to recommend against getting the game as a result.

The only reason I would recommend against is the idiocy that is Conflux, but you can always play offline and, really, I think the game is good enough to look past it. Then again, over a hundred hours in and I haven't had any crashes or major game breaking bugs. I must be biased.
Blocks100 wrote:Are there any threads around here that discuss actual CTD fixes?
I pulled this from segmentnext.com:

"3# Heroes VI Crash To Desktop, Can’t Launch The Game
If you are trying to run the game on Laptop or your graphic card is not supported by the game or if you are experiencing random crashes with Might & Magic Heroes VI, delete the settings file the game generates when it runs for the first time.

If you can’t find the settings file in Heroes VI, try this – go to Settings of Ubisoft Game Launcher and select radio button that says ‘Enable Save Game Syncing’. Now delete these files:

Windows 7
C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Ubisoft Game Launcher/savegame_storage/alphanumeric code/numbered folder/

Windows XP
C:/Documents and Settings/user/Local Settings/Application Data/Ubisoft Game Launcher/savegame_storage/alphanumeric code/numbered folder/

After deleting these folders, relaunch the game. If the above workaround doesn’t work – Try the workaround below:

Go to Documents/Might & Magic Heroes VI/(username)/ Open the folder ‘ProfileData’ with a notepad – make sure Word Wrap is on.
Find this line:

<gfx_Fullscreen2>Fullscreen</gfx_Fullscreen2>

and change it to this:

<gfx_Fullscreen2 >Windowed</gfx_Fullscreen2>

You may want to lower your resolution – To change your resolution, find this line of code:

<gfx_Resolution >1600×900</gfx_Resolution>

and change it to this:

<gfx_Resolution >1360×768</gfx_Resolution>"

Return to “Heroes V-VI”