Is it really wise to get Heroes VI?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Is it really wise to get Heroes VI?

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 11 Dec 2011, 14:19

I am planning to get Heroes VI for Christmas, but is that really wise.

I'm rather getting the impression from the forum than the game is rather horribly bug-ridden and semi-complete. Have most of the worst bugs been cleared up or should I postpone it until my birthday (May) and buy something else?
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... hp?t=11973

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 Dec 2011, 15:39

I guess it depends are you a pioneer or a settler? Meaning, do you want to strike off into dangerous territory for the excitement of the new, risking time and frustration, or do you want the excitement after those before you have made it safe. ;|
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 11 Dec 2011, 16:04

It really depends on what you're looking for. I'd recommend it, it's a great game for the story and accompanying lore alone, but it sure is different from H3 and H4. My suggestion would be to watch a trailer or two; if those get you, you'll probably like the game. Just don't expect some kind of huge blockbuster like H3, and realize the game comes with a plethora of bugs - like pretty much every ubisoft game.

Ell1e
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Ell1e » 11 Dec 2011, 16:31

The game has a pretty good amount of bugs, but none of them are gamebreaking, so it's playable. There's also the legendary patch 1.2 on the horizons, so there's a good chance that the worst offenders (I'm looking at you, Battle Dive) will be fixed soon. What you need to keep in mind with forums is that nobody will ever post "This game is working as intended", but everybody will post their bugs and complaints to find help with fixing them.

Right now the game's been out for about a month and a half, so people already know the tricks to beating the more difficult campaigns, I'd guess the only difference between getting the game for Christmas or in May is that patch.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 11 Dec 2011, 18:55

jeff wrote: I guess it depends are you a pioneer or a settler? Meaning, do you want to strike off into dangerous territory for the excitement of the new, risking time and frustration, or do you want the excitement after those before you have made it safe. dontknow
I'm definately a settler. I don't like bugs. And how come it's out job to pioneer, isn't that what the people making the game are supposed to do?
Ell1e wrote:The game has a pretty good amount of bugs, but none of them are gamebreaking, so it's playable. There's also the legendary patch 1.2 on the horizons, so there's a good chance that the worst offenders (I'm looking at you, Battle Dive) will be fixed soon. What you need to keep in mind with forums is that nobody will ever post "This game is working as intended", but everybody will post their bugs and complaints to find help with fixing them.

Right now the game's been out for about a month and a half, so people already know the tricks to beating the more difficult campaigns, I'd guess the only difference between getting the game for Christmas or in May is that patch.
If the basic skills of the game are not even working as intended that sounds like a pretty serious bug. I'm not sure if I should indeed get the game.

What time is the patch due out? If it's January getting it from Christmas and waiting for the patch to come out makes sense. If it's later then it makes sense to get another present and wait.
Working on tracking the locations of Heroes IV battles. Stage 6 of campaign map finished, all initial Heroes IV campaigns mapped.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 11 Dec 2011, 19:29

Well, if this will help you with choice right now - the Luck bonus does not work. They said it will be fixed in the Legen... *wait for it* ... dary 1.2 so... if you find the game on a nice promotion, feel free to buy it... and to play it in several months.

jeff

Unread postby jeff » 11 Dec 2011, 20:47

Slayer of Cliffracers wrote:I'm definately a settler. I don't like bugs. And how come it's out job to pioneer, isn't that what the people making the game are supposed to do?
You’re right, I mentioned in other threads I thought the game went gold far too quickly after the closing of the last beta test. There was no way they could include anything discovered during most of that testing. For me it is more about the campaign editor which now seems unlikely; so my wait may be until H-7 or 8.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 11 Dec 2011, 21:04

Judging from the way you've replied, I'd say you probably wouldn't like the game in its current state. Some of the bugs ARE in fact game-breaking and you need to be able to look past the fact that the game is barely even worthy of being called an alpha for internal testing. Seeing as how you'd even want to dub yourself a settler, I'm going to go ahead and say you might not enjoy the game at all.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 11 Dec 2011, 23:05

Mozared wrote:Judging from the way you've replied, I'd say you probably wouldn't like the game in its current state. Some of the bugs ARE in fact game-breaking and you need to be able to look past the fact that the game is barely even worthy of being called an alpha for internal testing. Seeing as how you'd even want to dub yourself a settler, I'm going to go ahead and say you might not enjoy the game at all.
Yes. Maybe wait for a few patches/expansions and see if people are still playing. But at the current state, there are much better games out there to entertain yourself with. Heroes 6 is in a pretty sorry state at the moment.

Slayer of Cliffracers
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Slayer of Cliffracers » 13 Dec 2011, 12:08

The decision is made. I'm postponing buying this game to save money for other things I would like and waiting until May when a whole host of patches will have brought the game to a reasonable state.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Dec 2011, 21:56

I have been stalkking the outcome of H6 release and its succeeding news and patches/updates. I too are kinda undecided if I should bother get this game.. One question though. Is it realistic to hope for updates like Town SCREENS etc from Black Hole?

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 18 Dec 2011, 22:54

patch 1.2 will be releasted the 20th (if I recall correctly). So you could buy it now if you want a playable version.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 19 Dec 2011, 02:34

Buy it now. With patch 1.2 coming around the corner it should be a nice game.

About the town screens, they will come, but probably very slowly. To be honest, the fact that Heroes VI had a March 2011 release date is laughable, I used to think that it was Ubisoft putting heaps of pressure on it's developers to get games out quickly, now i think it's a combination of that and black hole's slow progress.

So buying the game will be a worthwhile investment. It's also a very, very long game so you'll get it in Christmas and maybe finish it in February.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 19 Dec 2011, 09:21

Mirez wrote:patch 1.2 will be releasted the 20th (if I recall correctly). So you could buy it now if you want a playable version.
Assuming that the patch does not bring new collection of bugs.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

Variol
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby Variol » 20 Dec 2011, 11:03

In response to the title of the thread, my answer is "no". We all knew that it was a rush job, again. I would loved to have seen all the copies of the game, sitting on the store shelves, collecting dust. It would have been, just to teach them a lesson. The North American version didn't even install!?!?! 8|

I truly hate to say, I told you so.

NoXTheRoXStaR
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby NoXTheRoXStaR » 21 Dec 2011, 00:18

At this rate, I'd recommend playing Kings Bounty.

Nagumo
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Nagumo » 21 Dec 2011, 14:55

And another NO don't buy it at the moment. I got it as a gift --> Thanks God, cause otherwise i would really crying about the 50 bugs i payed.

1.2 is imo a nice thing BUT at least the gamebreaking crash by entering a town is still in the game. I am not the only one with this bug.

Nevertheless with a few more patches it has the potential to be a good game in the future :)

Oxi
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Yes

Unread postby Oxi » 22 Dec 2011, 13:24

the game is great. yes there are some bugs that makes you wonder if it's being quality assured by hamsters. But once you get to know them and get used to them, they are merely a broken pixel in a 1080p HD picture.

Crayno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crayno » 22 Dec 2011, 15:17

No

Unfortunately it's a bug ridden POS

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 22 Dec 2011, 18:41

What Crayno said. Not being able to use two to three abilities on one faction isn't a dead pixel. Neither is bonuses that don't get removed when an item is gone. Nor half of your hotkeys not working.

Those are more like a ripped-off corner on a 1080p HD picture - still fun to look at, still serves its purpose, but definitely noticeable and not something you'd be willing to overlook if you'd buy this thing in a shop.

And that's even just the BIG bugs that I've run into personally. The finished product of Heroes 6 is more like a picture with that ripped-off corner, and a fairly ugly tea stain over half of it - Unless you're a collector, you wouldn't buy it.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”