Save games disappearing in offline mode?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Save games disappearing in offline mode?

Unread postby arien » 28 Nov 2011, 00:36

Has anyone else had that problem? For me, it was a relatively rare occurrence while playing the campaign only, however I finished the campaign last week and started fiddling with the skirmish maps while at the same time my husband started replaying the campaign maps... Now pretty much after each playing session one of us finishes, his saves disappear as soon as the game quits to the desktop. :wall:
I don't expect this happening to people playing online, as their saves are stored on the Ubi servers, I'm more interested to find has anyone experienced the same in offline mode? If so, has anyone found a way to store the save game files before the game deletes them? ;|

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Save games disappearing in offline mode?

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 02:55

arien wrote:Has anyone else had that problem? For me, it was a relatively rare occurrence while playing the campaign only, however I finished the campaign last week and started fiddling with the skirmish maps while at the same time my husband started replaying the campaign maps... Now pretty much after each playing session one of us finishes, his saves disappear as soon as the game quits to the desktop. :wall:
I don't expect this happening to people playing online, as their saves are stored on the Ubi servers, I'm more interested to find has anyone experienced the same in offline mode? If so, has anyone found a way to store the save game files before the game deletes them? ;|
I played campaign and maps, I never experienced such a problem. Anyhow maps are saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\MY_LOGIN\My Documents\Might & Magic Heroes VI\MY_LOGIN\Save" directory, while campaign maps in some other directory. So you do not see ones while playing other mode and you do not see them either if you are logged into windows as someone else.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Save games disappearing in offline mode?

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 03:11

peta62 wrote:
arien wrote:Has anyone else had that problem? For me, it was a relatively rare occurrence while playing the campaign only, however I finished the campaign last week and started fiddling with the skirmish maps while at the same time my husband started replaying the campaign maps... Now pretty much after each playing session one of us finishes, his saves disappear as soon as the game quits to the desktop. :wall:
I played campaign and maps, I never experienced such a problem. Anyhow maps are saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\MY_LOGIN\My Documents\Might & Magic Heroes VI\MY_LOGIN\Save" directory, while campaign maps in some other directory. So you do not see ones while playing other mode and you do not see them either if you are logged into windows as someone else.
So I have checked again and I found campaigns are stored in the same directory with the same suffixes, so you can overwrite one save by the other if you choose the same name.

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 28 Nov 2011, 03:51

Thanks, peta62! I am aware where the saves are stored and that you can overwrite them if you happen to choose the same names. However that's not the issue here, as all of our saves get completely wiped out (except for the Autosave or Quicksave). No saved games show in either Campaign or Skirmish section and the directory where they should be stored is empty as well (with the exception of the aforementioned saves). :rolleyes:

Torur
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Torur » 28 Nov 2011, 08:22

If I'm correct. If you syncronize your savedgames online when you play, you won't be able to access them if you go offline. Atleast thats how I think it works, so if you go online again, they should be there.

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 28 Nov 2011, 17:50

Many thanks to Torur for the input as well, but no - on-line synchronization has nothing to do with it, as neither one of us has ever played the game on-line. Quite the contrary, I'm fairly certain the whole ordeal is strictly related to the fact that we are playing off-line and some issue is occurring every time a saved game file gets generated, causing the system to automatically delete it after the application is terminated. What I can't get my head around is why that atrocity starting happening only after we began mixing campaign with skirmish saves and why it is happening only 80% of the time. :|
The only solution I was able to figure was re-installing the whole fiasco of a game, so my husband is going to start the campaign from scratch and I'm going to lay off Heroes VI at least until he is finished with it, to avoid any interference with his saves. Hopefully by the time he is done, Ubisoft is going to come up with a decent patch, addressing some of the more critical issues and make the game at least semi-playable. :disagree:
It's back to Heroes III for me, while waiting for LotA's final two installments. Only time will show if I'll ever come back to VI at all. No matter how hard I tried, I really couldn't bring myself to enjoying it anyway, playing it always felt more like a chore than recreation to me. I admired the beautiful graphics and the design mechanics of the game seem to have had the potential to make a truly decent sequel, but the state the game was released into was truly horrendous and thoroughly ruined the whole experience for me. :grumpy:

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 19:31

arien wrote:Many thanks to Torur for the input as well, but no - on-line synchronization has nothing to do with it, as neither one of us has ever played the game on-line. Quite the contrary, I'm fairly certain the whole ordeal is strictly related to the fact that we are playing off-line and some issue is occurring every time a saved game file gets generated, causing the system to automatically delete it after the application is terminated. What I can't get my head around is why that atrocity starting happening only after we began mixing campaign with skirmish saves and why it is happening only 80% of the time. :|
The only solution I was able to figure was re-installing the whole fiasco of a game, so my husband is going to start the campaign from scratch and I'm going to lay off Heroes VI at least until he is finished with it, to avoid any interference with his saves. Hopefully by the time he is done, Ubisoft is going to come up with a decent patch, addressing some of the more critical issues and make the game at least semi-playable. :disagree:
It's back to Heroes III for me, while waiting for LotA's final two installments. Only time will show if I'll ever come back to VI at all. No matter how hard I tried, I really couldn't bring myself to enjoying it anyway, playing it always felt more like a chore than recreation to me. I admired the beautiful graphics and the design mechanics of the game seem to have had the potential to make a truly decent sequel, but the state the game was released into was truly horrendous and thoroughly ruined the whole experience for me. :grumpy:
Going back to Heroes III is nice, I do it all the time :D
Anyhow, I would propose to give it one more shot. Since save places are in login specific directories, I would ( of course after directory backup ;) ) play uder two different windows logins, like campaign/maps or wife/husband.
I play only offline too, I started with campaign, went to maps to practice and get familiar with new game, then came back and my campaign saves were gone, but I do not know whether it was due to this bug or some of my initial reinstallation.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 10 Dec 2011, 10:15

Now my save disappeared even without switching between campaigns and maps, I was playing only campaign for some time and one campaign save is gone.

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 13 Dec 2011, 14:08

Great!...

i cannot connect to conflux for some reason (everything else works fine) so i cannot continue my campaign because all the save games are gone... :|

what the hell ubi :mad:
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

Return to “Heroes V-VI”