> 28 days later

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 26 Nov 2011, 00:34

>28 days later and not only have I not played more than three campaign missions I did not already finish in the beta, I'm actually seriously playing H3 again ...
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 27 Nov 2011, 22:04

peta62 wrote:
ywhtptgtfo wrote:
peta62 wrote: I fully understand that and I play H3 that way, but sometimes on larger maps you need more heroes, especially since you cannot jump with the main hero on the map and town portal costs you almost whole day movement points. Under these conditions I am wondering why the secondary hero is not treated under same rules as main hero. It works that way in H3. So do you think it is a bug which will be fixed ?
It seems more like a feature than a bug. I disagree with it too.

Heroes 3 MP is not all about one hero, I don't think. On larger maps, it's quite feasible to send in a few auxiliary heroes to harass and play hide-and-seek.
So I will write it into the wish list thread as soon as I finish the list, so I do not spam one request per post :D
Thank you.
Save it for Heroes 7, after Ubisoft dumps Blackhole (which it is likely to). I am not saying it just to troll, but I honestly feel the game is not salvageable given many of its flaws stem from its fundamental design. I also have a great deal of doubt on Blackhole being able to the entire slew of bugs given that the demo was much less buggy than the actual game itself (i.e. Imperial Griffin and Sun Crusaders' specials actually worked, etc).

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 28 Nov 2011, 01:11

Not to rain on the parade (or what's left of it), but I seriously doubt we'll ever see Heroes VII. With great sadness I had to admit few days ago that this may well be the pathetic conclusion of a game I have loved and to which I've dedicated countless hours out of the later 15 years of my life... :rip:
Whatever reviews have been posted out there, have not been really favorable. In addition the game was never properly marketed and considering the major withdrawal of die-hard fans after Heroes IV and V both, I seriously doubt it is meeting its sales expectations. If the project turns out to be a financial loss for Ubisoft, I don't foresee them taking risks with another installment. :cry:
Keeping my fingers crossed that with the eminent premiere of part III to the other old time favorite of mine, Diablo, will hold its ground and leave me high, dry and totally gameless. I'm too old to develop tastes for other games. :?

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 03:07

arien wrote:Not to rain on the parade (or what's left of it), but I seriously doubt we'll ever see Heroes VII. With great sadness I had to admit few days ago that this may well be the pathetic conclusion of a game I have loved and to which I've dedicated countless hours out of the later 15 years of my life... :rip:
Whatever reviews have been posted out there, have not been really favorable. In addition the game was never properly marketed and considering the major withdrawal of die-hard fans after Heroes IV and V both, I seriously doubt it is meeting its sales expectations. If the project turns out to be a financial loss for Ubisoft, I don't foresee them taking risks with another installment. :cry:
Keeping my fingers crossed that with the eminent premiere of part III to the other old time favorite of mine, Diablo, will hold its ground and leave me high, dry and totally gameless. I'm too old to develop tastes for other games. :?
We won't compete who is older :hoo: I played H4 few times and hate it, H5 never partially due to H4 disappointment, but also I somehow did not feel any need. I play H3WOG a lot. I did not believe to see another playable Heroes version after the H4 disaster. So for me what I see in H6 is a good surprise. Of course I also feel the pain as others, I just hope H6 will be expanded by similar ( or even the same ) group as made WoG for H3.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 28 Nov 2011, 08:40

peta62 wrote:
arien wrote:Not to rain on the parade (or what's left of it), but I seriously doubt we'll ever see Heroes VII. With great sadness I had to admit few days ago that this may well be the pathetic conclusion of a game I have loved and to which I've dedicated countless hours out of the later 15 years of my life... :rip:
We won't compete who is older :hoo: I played H4 few times and hate it, H5 never partially due to H4 disappointment, but also I somehow did not feel any need. I play H3WOG a lot. I did not believe to see another playable Heroes version after the H4 disaster. So for me what I see in H6 is a good surprise. Of course I also feel the pain as others, I just hope H6 will be expanded by similar ( or even the same ) group as made WoG for H3.
H4 and H5 both have their appeals (albeit not very addictive, unlike H2 and H3). H6's a dead horse, unfortunately.

Sorry for being such a naysayer (I was a big proponent of the game not too long ago), but I've almost never seen such a disaster with a software release for a reputable franchise. This is an epic combination of bugs, lack of patch, lack of major reviews, lack of PR etc. It's almost unpreceded.

However, I am not as pessimistic as arien about Heroes 7, since the bomb in sales is caused by the developer and has little to do with the franchise losing fan base. At the same time, they've invested so much into the M&M franchise already to leave it in dust.

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 28 Nov 2011, 18:34

ywhtptgtfo wrote: H4 and H5 both have their appeals (albeit not very addictive, unlike H2 and H3). H6's a dead horse, unfortunately.

Sorry for being such a naysayer (I was a big proponent of the game not too long ago), but I've almost never seen such a disaster with a software release for a reputable franchise. This is an epic combination of bugs, lack of patch, lack of major reviews, lack of PR etc. It's almost unpreceded.

However, I am not as pessimistic as arien about Heroes 7, since the bomb in sales is caused by the developer and has little to do with the franchise losing fan base. At the same time, they've invested so much into the M&M franchise already to leave it in dust.
Games nowdays are being made explicitly for younger audiences and HoMM is an old franchise. With the majority of whatever fan base is left out there getting on the wrong side of their 30's and 40's and no decent sequel to keep its market spot warm, 5 years from now no one will remember what the game was about. While IV and V started digging the grave, Heroes IV struck home the final nail in the coffin lid. I say this game is going the way of the dodo. It's doomed, doooomed, I'm telling ye all! :beheading:
(Don't mind me, I've been so frustrated with Heroes IV the last few days, I'm getting too emotional for my own and everybody else's good.) :drama:

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 19:34

arien wrote:
ywhtptgtfo wrote: H4 and H5 both have their appeals (albeit not very addictive, unlike H2 and H3). H6's a dead horse, unfortunately.

Games nowdays are being made explicitly for younger audiences and HoMM is an old franchise. With the majority of whatever fan base is left out there getting on the wrong side of their 30's and 40's and no decent sequel to keep its market spot warm, 5 years from now no one will remember what the game was about. While IV and V started digging the grave, Heroes IV struck home the final nail in the coffin lid. I say this game is going the way of the dodo. It's doomed, doooomed, I'm telling ye all! :beheading:
(Don't mind me, I've been so frustrated with Heroes IV the last few days, I'm getting too emotional for my own and everybody else's good.) :drama:
You are right, it makes sense, but I still hope there is potential in H6 which somebody would use for enhancements like the WoG group made my most favourite game ever from Heroes III.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 28 Nov 2011, 20:07

peta62 wrote:
arien wrote:

You are right, it makes sense, but I still hope there is potential in H6 which somebody would use for enhancements like the WoG group made my most favourite game ever from Heroes III.
That's very, very, doubtful. At least we don't see that happening for H5. You should pray for a hugely successful MMX instead (with Marzhin hopefully being on the team for some quality control).

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 28 Nov 2011, 20:12

arien wrote:Games nowdays are being made explicitly for younger audiences and HoMM is an old franchise. With the majority of whatever fan base is left out there getting on the wrong side of their 30's and 40's and no decent sequel to keep its market spot warm, 5 years from now no one will remember what the game was about. While IV and V started digging the grave, Heroes IV struck home the final nail in the coffin lid. I say this game is going the way of the dodo. It's doomed, doooomed, I'm telling ye all! :beheading:
Yeah, but they did kinda say the same about H4, H5 and H5's expansions. I'm not entirely sure why people are so doomsdayish about H6, though. Argueing the future is a bit of a moot point (your arguments are correct, but they were correct many years ago as well - and yet, H5 and H6 were both made), but what exactly are your problems with the game?

I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far, with my main gripe being the gazillion bugs. The game itself I don't actually consider to be that bad of a game, or even a 'nail in the coffin'. I haven't minded the resource simplification so far, I haven't been particularly fussed with the lack of town screens and I quite like the story and how it's been dragged out over 4 levels per campaign, which seems the ideal amount to get it told.

peta62
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby peta62 » 28 Nov 2011, 22:02

Mozared wrote:
arien wrote:Games nowdays are being made explicitly for younger audiences and HoMM is an old franchise. With the majority of whatever fan base is left out there getting on the wrong side of their 30's and 40's and no decent sequel to keep its market spot warm, 5 years from now no one will remember what the game was about. While IV and V started digging the grave, Heroes IV struck home the final nail in the coffin lid. I say this game is going the way of the dodo. It's doomed, doooomed, I'm telling ye all! :beheading:
Yeah, but they did kinda say the same about H4, H5 and H5's expansions. I'm not entirely sure why people are so doomsdayish about H6, though. Argueing the future is a bit of a moot point (your arguments are correct, but they were correct many years ago as well - and yet, H5 and H6 were both made), but what exactly are your problems with the game?

I've been enjoying it quite a bit so far, with my main gripe being the gazillion bugs. The game itself I don't actually consider to be that bad of a game, or even a 'nail in the coffin'. I haven't minded the resource simplification so far, I haven't been particularly fussed with the lack of town screens and I quite like the story and how it's been dragged out over 4 levels per campaign, which seems the ideal amount to get it told.
I hate H4, I do not know H5 a lot, I love H3 especially WoG3.58f and I have the same opinion about H6 as you wrote - I like the game a lot, but those "gazillion bugs" are killing me.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 29 Nov 2011, 01:35

I for one thought H4 had many interesting ideas but attempted to experiment with too many things at onces and also didn't have a totally finished product which was it's demise, but a worthy experiment non the less, H5 was more uggggh than anything else in the terrible plot in the campaign though the system was pretty decent.

I like H6's system a lot to be honest, it's the most unique different factions we've really had, the plot has (plenty) of holes but compare to H5 it's like a freaken masterpiece. there are some aspects I'm disappointed / disagreeing with (other than the $#$%#$^# bugs) such as the reduction in resource and more over the reduction in general variety and details of items / places to visit. some of this started in H5 unfortunately (which is again, why I don't hate H4 as much as some others, it's the last version which really cared about those details)
The river of time wash away all heroes

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 29 Nov 2011, 01:39

I thought TotE's decent (Well okay, that's the 2nd expansion, so that's not a fair comparison).

arien
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby arien » 29 Nov 2011, 01:56

Mozared wrote:Yeah, but they did kinda say the same about H4, H5 and H5's expansions. I'm not entirely sure why people are so doomsdayish about H6, though. Argueing the future is a bit of a moot point (your arguments are correct, but they were correct many years ago as well - and yet, H5 and H6 were both made), but what exactly are your problems with the game?

Don't take this so seriously, as I tried to hint, my 'doomsdayish' propheting was half-intended as a joke, albeit my serious concerns about the game.
I am a die-hard fan of the series and I've never been too picky about the content of any of its installments. I heartily enjoyed IV and V, the black sheep of the family, and while both had some major issues, I was able to appreciate their concepts and take full advantage of it. Same goes towards VI - it has a very sound design structure and the new 'radical' changes (4 resource system/ area of control) are actually quite nicely implemented and promote new ways of strategical thinking. I am with you there - the main issue are the marching battalions of bugs.

The root of my fears about the future of the series lies with Ubisoft's attitude towards them. HoMM is a foster child to the company and is getting little love from it. To me, it almost feels like with VI they gave it a last shot, without actually putting any serious effort into it. They gave it to a rather questionable developer and I have the feeling they have been on a strict budget there. We only had a short release delay, which evidently has been quite insufficient to address the multitude of lapses that plague the game - Ubi must have been adamant in their decision to cut the time and funding investments to a bare necessity minimum. And although I expect most of the major bugs (like Luck or thereof - the lack of it) must have been well known to them yet even before the game shipped out, I see no rush to have them fixed, despite the community discontent. Stacking those facts with their unwillingness to promote or market the game in any tangible manner, I'm truly getting the feeling that Ubi doesn't care. And if they don't care about a product that's currently on the shelves, why should they put any thought into any eventual sequel to that product?

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 29 Nov 2011, 03:13

You make a good point there - though then again, I felt this same way about Heroes 5; I'm really not sure why they bothered with Hammers of Fate and Tribes of the East there. To be fair, I felt the same way about Heroes 4 after that kind of flopped (even though I don't think I was actively in the Heroes community at the time of release). Ubisoft does have a tendency to continue small games for niche communities, as their recent release of Anno 2070 demonstrates. There may be some hope yet.

For now, I'm not entirely wanting a sequal though; currently H6 is the Heroes game I'm content with.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Nov 2011, 08:06

Ubi's behaviour is of course ultraannoying, but when we talk about doom, it is another sign. I do not have any traffic data at hand, but as far as i remember at H4 or H5 release CH, HC, 3DO/Ubi boards were much more active. There were new fansites popping out. Maybe it is just a false impression, but the community seems to be much less active. And if the buyers abandon this series, Ubi will too.

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 29 Nov 2011, 10:02

Pitsu wrote:Ubi's behaviour is of course ultraannoying, but when we talk about doom, it is another sign. I do not have any traffic data at hand, but as far as i remember at H4 or H5 release CH, HC, 3DO/Ubi boards were much more active. There were new fansites popping out. Maybe it is just a false impression, but the community seems to be much less active.
I have exactly the same impression.
And if the buyers abandon this series, Ubi will too.
I just hope they sell franchise to someone who does care.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 29 Nov 2011, 12:43

Pitsu wrote:Ubi's behaviour is of course ultraannoying, but when we talk about doom, it is another sign. I do not have any traffic data at hand, but as far as i remember at H4 or H5 release CH, HC, 3DO/Ubi boards were much more active. There were new fansites popping out. Maybe it is just a false impression, but the community seems to be much less active. And if the buyers abandon this series, Ubi will too.
Well, at least they finally fixed that problem where googling "Heroes 6" or "Heroes of Might and Magic 6" yields a bunch of fansites as a result with the official site being somewhere at the bottom of the search list :D

Edit: Plus, they can at least approach the comments about resource reduction with humor :D

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 29 Nov 2011, 13:32

Mozared wrote: Well, at least they finally fixed that problem where googling "Heroes 6" or "Heroes of Might and Magic 6" yields a bunch of fansites as a result with the official site being somewhere at the bottom of the search list :D
:| Who do you mean by "they"? The google search engine coders?
Edit: Plus, they can at least approach the comments about resource reduction with humor :D

It was posted some time ago, and i personally do not appreciate this stripe very much. It kind of highlights a, IMO, major problem with Homm: justification of important gameplay aspects by lore. Fine for a RPG, bad for a strategy game.

Finally, I do not get how that all was a response to my last post.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Nov 2011, 17:30

Pitsu wrote:It kind of highlights a, IMO, major problem with Homm: justification of important gameplay aspects by lore. Fine for a RPG, bad for a strategy game.
You know what? Ubisoft screwed their own lore in HVI (or call it "retcon" if you want :P), so I don't really know, what they were aiming for.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 30 Nov 2011, 02:07

this game is dull and worser then HoMM V,coming from the fan of 3-4.
The decline in the series ,loss of 25%-30% of the fanbase .
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Return to “Heroes V-VI”