Ubisoft server down, can't play, OMG

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Ubisoft server down, can't play, OMG

Unread postby shep61 » 08 Nov 2011, 06:14

How bad can this get? I get home, ready to play more Heroes VI and I can't play because the Ubisoft server, which is completely useless to me and the game experience, is down. I am a very loyal HOMM player, but this has me about ready to quit the series. Having to use STEAM was bad enough, but at least it has some value (updates, etc.). This is unreal.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 08 Nov 2011, 08:07

What? You could not play because of Ubi server being down?
Elvin in other thread posted a FAQ stating there will be no "always online" requirement and only one-time activation.

Either you have overlooked something, or Elvin posted a mere PR bullshit, though I trust him until proven otherwise.
"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance."
-Ahzek Ahriman

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 08 Nov 2011, 08:16

Didn't saw this one coming!

Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Ubisoft server down, can't play, OMG

Unread postby Humakt » 08 Nov 2011, 08:18

shep61 wrote:Having to use STEAM was bad enough, but at least it has some value (updates, etc.).
You don't need to use Steam unless you bought it from there.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 08 Nov 2011, 09:02

I can't connect right now either. I can play, but I can't access my saved games, campaign progress, custom heroes, dynasty rewards, etc. etc. So basically, yeah you can play but you're still better off waiting for it to come back up.......
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 08 Nov 2011, 09:26

It's Tuesday - probably servers maintenance day.

No DRM in HoMMVI... right. :P
Last edited by Avonu on 08 Nov 2011, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 08 Nov 2011, 09:28

So that's why the game suddenly threw me out for no apparent reason. :devil:

The whole have to be connected to play shit is getting on my nerve. I buy the fucking hard copy of the game to not have to deal with this kind of shit.

Spin
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Spin » 08 Nov 2011, 11:05

ummm you guys really need to learn about the game:

Firstly, you can play offline any time (Offline mode is there). If you chose the option for Ubisoft to synchonise your save games or whatever, they'll be on Ubi's site therefore when ubi servers are down you can't play your save games. You can easily fix this (and sacrifice the 10 meg or whatever it takes to keep the save games) by unticking this in the ubilauncher options.

And the game is now fully playable offline, except for the conflux of course.

Technically you can play the game after 1 phone call or 1 connection to the internet, just you won't get the full experience (dynasty, altar of wishes etc). So basically it's DRM-optional but sacrificing that DRM gives you about 80% of the Heroes VI experience.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Nov 2011, 11:23

Spin wrote:If you chose the option for Ubisoft to synchonise your save games or whatever,
Why does such an option even exist and who would willingly choose it?

But no, one cannot possibly blame the customers here, and it is truly a travesty the Might and Magic brand fell into Ubisoft's inept clutches.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 08 Nov 2011, 11:46

Metathron wrote:Why does such an option even exist and who would willingly choose it?
Some people like being anally examined before they can play the game.
Of course, then there are normal people who suffer such things and there are pirates who laugh at those who have to bother themselves with the DRM.
-Ahzek Ahriman

Ploppy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ploppy » 08 Nov 2011, 23:00

klaymen wrote:Some people like being anally examined before they can play the game.
Of course, then there are normal people who suffer such things and there are pirates who laugh at those who have to bother themselves with the DRM.
Pirates can only play in offline mode, can't use dynasty weapons or the altar of wishes, and aren't able to use facebook/twitter integration. Without those features, the game really wouldn't worth more than 5 bucks.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 08 Nov 2011, 23:06

Ploppy wrote:
klaymen wrote:Some people like being anally examined before they can play the game.
Pirates can only play in offline mode, can't use dynasty weapons or the altar of wishes, and aren't able to use facebook/twitter integration. Without those features, the game really wouldn't worth more than 5 bucks.
Riiight, because those are the core features Heroes games have always been about.

I just cain't live without muh Facebook integration!

:rofl:
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

shep61
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby shep61 » 08 Nov 2011, 23:34

Ah yes. I stand corrected. I was a little strong when I said I couldn't play. As some of you have posted, I could still play, but did not have access to my saved games or campaign progress (since I didn't know to uncheck the "sync" box in the Ubiplayer) or any of the conflux. Since I did not have access to my saved games, I could not actually play, as I did not want to start over, as shocking as that may be to some of you!

I paid over $50 for a single player game (I don't play multi-player) and yet I am tied down by an on-line interface that provides no value. That's my real issue. I have also been kicked out of the game when the connection was lost! That has nothing to do with the "sync" feature!

So, I will uncheck the sync box and move on. The fact that I have to do that and can still get kicked out of the game is ridiculous. If all of this truly stopped the pirates, I would be OK, sort of, but I don't think it does!

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 09 Nov 2011, 06:26

Ploppy wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. Assassin's Creed 2 uses the infamous Jewbisoft's DRM and a part of the game content was accessible only from the servers to prevent easy cracking. Well, it failed and pirated versions of AC2 appeared on the net. Albeit a bit later, but they did. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if many of those Conflux-based extras granted to you while playing online were accessible for pirates too.

So pirates can only play in offline mode, that is surely terrible because every game now HAS TO be played online, even in singleplayer, right?
"I pirated the game and because the holy Facebook integration and some dynasty weapons didn't work, so I have purchased the game." - yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable. I agree with Metathron, previous games worked fine without this balast and now you say that the game is not worth more than 5 bucks without it? Souns like a true long-time Heroes fan. Oh wait....
-Ahzek Ahriman

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 09 Nov 2011, 06:46

I am not having (or intend to have) Facecrap, so will somebody, please, tell me WTF is "Facecrap integration" (to have a good laugh at it)?

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 09 Nov 2011, 07:57

klaymen wrote:I wouldn't be so sure. Assassin's Creed 2 uses the infamous Jewbisoft's DRM and a part of the game content was accessible only from the servers to prevent easy cracking. Well, it failed and pirated versions of AC2 appeared on the net. Albeit a bit later, but they did. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if many of those Conflux-based extras granted to you while playing online were accessible for pirates too.

So pirates can only play in offline mode, that is surely terrible because every game now HAS TO be played online, even in singleplayer, right?
"I pirated the game and because the holy Facebook integration and some dynasty weapons didn't work, so I have purchased the game." - yeah, sounds perfectly reasonable. I agree with Metathron, previous games worked fine without this balast and now you say that the game is not worth more than 5 bucks without it? Souns like a true long-time Heroes fan. Oh wait....
Just as a note; pirated versions of games with DRM's like these generally come with a cracked maxed out profile that includes all dynasty weapons at maximum experience, along with all unlockables unlocked. If you crack the online connection, there's nothing stopping you from 'modding' the game to give yourself access to everything.

ShadowLiberal
Golem
Golem

Unread postby ShadowLiberal » 09 Nov 2011, 18:20

parcaleste wrote:I am not having (or intend to have) Facecrap, so will somebody, please, tell me WTF is "Facecrap integration" (to have a good laugh at it)?
Same here, I hate how other games such as Starcraft 2 have decided to take a forced online integration approach, and mix stuff like facebook functionality in the game. Earlier versions of heroes of might and magic did just fine without facebook integration, because facebook isn't part of the game.

If you really want to blog about heroes of might and magic 6 on facebook you could just, you know, minimize heroes 6 and open up a web browser and blog about it from there! Or even take the cell phone out of your pocket and blog from there!

Besides, I don't want my friends to be able to track me every second of the day interrupting what I'm doing with their messages, even when I'm playing a single player campaign.

Ubisoft should realize just much bad advertising their DRM is in heroes 6, because postings like this topic online will make lots of potential buyers decide against buying Heroes 6.

yourworstnightmare
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby yourworstnightmare » 11 Nov 2011, 14:30

I'll never get Facecrap, and if I am forced to get Facecrap to play games, I'll rather stop playing games.

klaymen
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby klaymen » 11 Nov 2011, 17:49

yourworstnightmare wrote:I'll never get Facecrap, and if I am forced to get Facecrap to play games, I'll rather stop playing games.
You're not forced to get FB, but in that case you miss the ability to spam your profile with achievements and/or other really useful info to show your friends how leet and awesome you are. Who would not want that?

/sarcasm
-Ahzek Ahriman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Nov 2011, 15:47

klaymen wrote: Some people like being anally examined before they can play the game.
Syncing saves it good if you play on more then one PC... but they really should have you choose if you want it or not the first time you install the game.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Heroes V-VI”