Feat/Spell/Skill Testimony

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 05 Nov 2011, 21:06

Burning Determination is also good. It gives a large chance to good morale, which then gives you an extra opportunity to get regenerated.

masotime
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby masotime » 05 Nov 2011, 23:45

Logistics is a no brainer. Just being able to move that little bit more to catch that annoying enemy hero rushing towards your base is priceless.

Time Stasis is an excellent spell since it almost always works and you can attack the unit without breaking the spell or experiencing retaliation.

Most of the school of water spells don't seem useful.

Earth magic is handy for its Regeneration / Mass Regeneration and Stone Skin / Mass Stone Skin spells which improve your army's durability by quite a bit.

Light and Dark magic seem to be the best "elemental" schools (although I haven't tried Fire magic yet). Spells like Mass Celestial Armor, Heal / Mass Heal, Light Elementals, Dark Elementals, Life Drain / Mass Life Drain, etc. are all excellent at keeping your troops alive.

Dark Elementals have the cool ability of being completely untargetable by units with magic attacks (this screws adjacent magic shooters badly). The "star" damage / heal retaliation effect of Light Elementals are pretty awesome if you position your units correctly. The rest of the elementals seem meh, although Earth Elementals with Regeneration and Petrification are pretty OK.

Enlightenment seems like a skill best taken at level 1, although there's so much experience in the campaign that it's easy to reach level 30 pretty fast.

The Counterstrike line of skills is extremely useful. For magic heroes (all I've been playing so far in the Campaign except for the tutorial)
benefit from the passive extra retaliation when summoning elementals / teleporting units next to enemy stacks at the start of combat.

I read an interesting combo on Conflux where you use the Sacrifice Necromancer Tears ability on a unit that's been Petrified. Your entire army becomes immune to damage for a while, but unfortunately it takes 2 rounds to execute the combo.

Retribution Aura III is pretty cool, but it's a bit weird because the effect is greatest when your unit takes the most damage. Perhaps best synergised with summoned / temporary units, but don't pair it with something like e.g. Stoneskin or Celestial Armor.

The Slow / Mass Slow / Haste / Mass Haste line of spells don't seem that useful any more. In particular, the effect given by the "Mass" line of spells aren't significant enough (+1 / -1 movement?). A passive ability like Ambush seems more useful, or a mass spell like stone skin / regeneration / etc.

The prime spell Meditation can be invaluable on maps where mana wells are scarce and your hero relies heavily on mana to sustain an army. This is particularly true in Heroes 6 where roosting in a town no longer regenerates your mana to full capacity.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 06 Nov 2011, 00:38

masotime wrote:Logistics is a no brainer. Just being able to move that little bit more to catch that annoying enemy hero rushing towards your base is priceless.
Just to play devil's advocate, this is the one thing you don't need it for anymore, since we got Town Portals :D

masotime
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby masotime » 06 Nov 2011, 03:05

Mozared wrote:Just to play devil's advocate, this is the one thing you don't need it for anymore, since we got Town Portals :D
Town Portals are definitely very cool, but casting it uses up a fair amount of movement points. I've had situations where an enemy hero is 10 steps from my town, but after town portalling I don't have enough movement points to attack said hero, which then goes off in another direction to another nearby town.

The enemy hero had much more movement than I did, so it ended up being kind of a stalemate situation with me bouncing back and forth between towns. I remember abusing the AI eventually to change the AI's movement pattern, but it was definitely annoying at that time.

---

On a side note, building advanced town portals can be both a curse and a blessing with multiple towns. I've had situations where I'm far afield on the adventure map and an enemy hero appears near my home town, but because I built an advanced town portal in a nearby town, I can't get back to my home town in one turn. Even if you had enough movement points, you can't cast advanced town portal AND town portal on the same turn.

As a result I tend to build only one advanced town portal (my main level 4 town) and only build another one if I'm desperate to save another town.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 17 Nov 2011, 19:44

I'm liking:

Enlightenment - nice to start with
Resurrection - helps early creeping
Wind Screen 1/2 - like the Daze effect
Logistics - I wait till I meet an AI hero who thinks he's out of my range
Pathfinding - another basic
Diplomacy - wishful thinking? sometimes get hits so it might be working
Mentoring - almost a cheat
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 17 Nov 2011, 21:01

I need some info on Life Drain - where do I find it?
My game is in Russian, so not sure if it is might or magic skill and what magic school it is in. Thanks...!
May the Implosion be with you!

boazmeg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby boazmeg » 17 Nov 2011, 21:05

it's the one with the vampire smiling as blood drips from his mouth on it 8|

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 17 Nov 2011, 21:12

Um, Dark Magic school, right? Damn, seems Haven does not have it - I am playing haven now.

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 17 Nov 2011, 21:38

Caradoc wrote:Mentoring - almost a cheat
Speaking of Mentoring... I haven't done the maths, but does anybody know whether it's worth it to give Mentoring to your second and third heroes in order to give your main hero some free XP? Not sure if it adds up well enough or if the gained XP from level 1-5 is only something like 1/4th the way from level 18 to 19.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 17 Nov 2011, 22:30

From what I observe Mentoring works only in case when higher lvl hero meet lower lvl. So you probably can't use lower lvl heroes just to boost your main hero.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 18 Nov 2011, 02:30

For the purpose of campaign mentoring is usually worth it on your second hero so he can level up your 3rd hero who would presumablly not see much action.

Espeically combine with that dynasty trait where the first generic hero is free that's quite nice.

A few not meantioned a lot so far.

A. Cleave : it's basically a must for any might hero, though it's somewhat buggy righ now.

B. Teleport : for Necropolis / Sancturary heroes this one is really really great.

C. Storm arrow : very very VERY worthwhile for Inferno / Necropolis / Stronghold. ALL might heroes of these lines should take these very very early (well maybe not inferno since their half raneg hitter comse at elite level)

D. Freezing field, it's good against the AI at least, since most of the time their movement is quite predictable, them trying to move through the field would automatically make them lose like 3-4 rounds of move, casting it infron of your gate in seige defense is also usful etc..
The river of time wash away all heroes

boazmeg
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby boazmeg » 18 Nov 2011, 14:28

[quote="Naki"]Um, Dark Magic school, right? Damn, seems Haven does not have it - I am playing haven now.[/quote]

hehe Haven's kinda against death and all that.....check the fan manual 8|

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 18 Nov 2011, 15:46

Gotta say that this one Haven incarnation is the most boring one to play with. The negative damage they do is just ridiculous, doing the battles with them a freakin' snooze fest.

RollingWave
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby RollingWave » 18 Nov 2011, 19:08

parcaleste wrote:Gotta say that this one Haven incarnation is the most boring one to play with. The negative damage they do is just ridiculous, doing the battles with them a freakin' snooze fest.
It doesn't help that their coolest move is broken right now...
The river of time wash away all heroes

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 19 Nov 2011, 16:14

Does Life Drain work only with melee attacks, or ranged attacks too? Thanks!

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 19 Nov 2011, 16:54

Both.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Naki
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Naki » 19 Nov 2011, 17:21

WTF?! I cast Life Drain + Regeneration on my doggies (playing Inferno), and the spell effects disappeared on the next turn.
Do elementals remove good spell effects? I am fighting Fire and Dark elems now..

EDIT: Hmm, yeah - seems to be a Dark elemental ability...

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 16 Dec 2011, 10:47

Does anyone here thinks that the Pathfinding ability needs some boost? Like in Disciples 2, the player to get like 1, 2, or 3 movement points per level. I find it kinda useless... well, one of the bunch useless abilities in the game that needs some boosting. I think it's bonus is not so much at all.

Or your "pace" to depend of the Knowledge points, something like that.

wimfrits
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby wimfrits » 22 Jan 2012, 10:20

Some skill comments I haven't seen so far:

flawless assault. Nice early game skill for Necro gaining blood reputation points. Whittle down the last remaining enemy ranged unit, then use flawless assault with pressed attack to gain 2 blood points every 3 rounds without using mana. Flawless assault is not worth in in the long run, so discard it when reaching blood level 2.

pressed attack. Probably the biggest damage dealer for a blood hero. At blood level 2, damage of pressed attack is 3 times the hero damage. Moreover (probably a bug), the hero's normal attack also does triple damage when executed in the same round after a 'pressed' attack

summon water elemental. One of the best tactical spells in the game. Halting an enemy's stack movement every 2 turns. Or blocking a shooter while preventing a bulking melee stack from immediately lifting the blockade. A life-saver when facing overwhelming odds

summon earth elemental. I find very little use for this spell. The fights where you actually need petrification are the fights where stacks are too large to petrify.
Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Banedon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Banedon » 14 Apr 2012, 17:40

From limited experience -

I've found Heroic Charge to be a standout skill, almost doubling attack damage from units like Jaguar Warriors (or whatever Stronghold unit it is that leaps at people with no retaliation).

Rush is occasionally useful to get a walker stack across the map and block ranged shooters. Also allows you to make your ranged stack move at once.

Pressed Attack is strong. Especially useful if you get good morale. Hero attacks damage high-level units hard so it's worth using.

Lightning Bolt seems quite weak. Not only is it not particularly strong, it has 3 turns cooldown and mana doesn't regenerate fast and there's no equivalent for H5's Master of Storms to at least stun the target a little. For some reason as well leaving a hero in a town doesn't restore mana to full either. As a whole magic damage spells haven't been very attractive to me. Seems like the game focuses around buffs and curses instead of direct damage.

Serenity is sweet. Being able to paralyze the other army's strongest unit for two turns is just immense. It skips hero turns as well, allowing Coral Priestesses to regenerate units up.

Logistics Snatch etc - with high level secondary heroes these are obvious for all secondary heroes.

Ambush has been useful to win speed ties (e.g. my Marksmen against AI Marksmen).

Tactics is completely necessary. AI doesn't know how to deploy units without it.
I'm a hypocrite because I suggested that all life is sacred and should not be wasted without good reason.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”