Mechanics of Morale & Luck (compared to V)

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Mechanics of Morale & Luck (compared to V)

Unread postby maltz » 01 Nov 2011, 20:12

It seems that both Morale and Luck have been nerfed in VI because the developers think they are too powerful in V.

I found this interview online:
http://heroes.hardwired.hu/heroes6/leir ... ew_eng.php

6. How will Luck and Moral work? What changed in these skills compared to the previous games?

Boci: We changed their mechanic too. Luck and morale in the previous games was too random and strong. Lets talk about morale first: when it's a creature's turn to act, you can foresee if it will have a morale so you can use that knowledge to plan what to do, making it easier to tactic. However after the first attack the second one will be less powerful. After morale the second movement will be limited and the creature's attack power will be lower too (we still balancing its %). Now some word about luck: heroes and units will have their own luck-factor where 1 luck point = 1%. An advanced hero will have around 6-7% luck, while the luck of creatures will top at 6-7% as well. A fully upgraded (level 30) hero + creature will have a maximum of 15% chance for a lucky attack that can be increased further with spells, abilities and artifacts. Its also important to mention that lucky strikes will do +50% more damage than in normal case.

Morale:

High Morale makes the affected unit perform an extra (but weakened) attack, even strategic retreat. The extra attack is about 50% in power without retaliation. So high morale is normally a 50% critical hit.

Here is the money question: How often is high morale triggered? Say a unit has a morale of +20. Is high morale triggered 20% of the time? Or is it capped at something like 15%? My bet goes to a low cap. :|

Luck:

Since Destiny is capped at 7 points (7%) for a hero, high Destiny is simply useless. 15% chance for 50% more damage = 7.5% more powerful in the long run. That's insignificant at its best.

IMO, both Morale and Luck are a lot less useful than V, as intended. Now we need to find alternative investments for a might hero! Any suggestions?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 01 Nov 2011, 20:14

I don't think that luck gives +50% damage. It does seem to increase it somewhat, but nowhere near 50%.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 01 Nov 2011, 20:20

I kept comforting myself at seeing those disappointing lucky hits. If the expected damage is 100-200, I probably get something like 180 as the result of a lucky hit. Maybe my I would have got only 120 without it.

But still I would expect occassional getting a lucky hit that goes over the expected max (like 205). It just hasn't happened yet. Maybe Luck is bugged?

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 01 Nov 2011, 20:31

maltz wrote:I kept comforting myself at seeing those disappointing lucky hits. If the expected damage is 100-200, I probably get something like 180 as the result of a lucky hit. Maybe my I would have got only 120 without it.

But still I would expect occassional getting a lucky hit that goes over the expected max (like 205). It just hasn't happened yet. Maybe Luck is bugged?
Yes, as with many critical aspects of the game, luck is bugged (occasionally). You really should read up the official bug-list. It's longer the Great Wall of China, thus making it a World Wonder within the universe of buggy games.

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 02 Nov 2011, 13:25

It seems to me that there are two kinds of horseshoe. Normally what you see is an "inverted U", which apparently does not increase the damage. I read that some people pointed out that the inverted U actually means "unlucky" attack, but it didn't really reduce damage, either. I found that raising the luck status really high can't really prevent the inverted U from happening. I guess it is bugged.

However, from time to time I see hits that do go over the damage limit and the damage is displayed in red. Strangely, it never happens on my main stack.

2vasort1corppor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 2vasort1corppor » 08 Nov 2011, 11:51

luck is bugged. i have max possible luck with a chaos lord blood reputation 2, and i cant crit when i am attacking with my troops. i only get critical hit animation but my damage is still white and it doesnt increase.

however when you retaliate, its possible. for example with my cerberus i get around %15-20 lucky strikes . i have 27 destiny on my hero.

and also, if you summon a creature and that creature hits someone critically, your other units can crit for real too. i usually use chaos lord ability mark of chaos to guarantee crits, hit the unit with a summoned/gated creature and then attack with my other troops.

btw good morale is working, but bad morale isnt.
Last edited by 2vasort1corppor on 09 Nov 2011, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 08 Nov 2011, 14:24

2vasort1corppor wrote:... btw good morale is working, but bad morale isnt.
I've seen it several times so it is working. I would say I've never seen bad luck, though.

However, it is about damn time for a patch to fix these goddamn annoying issues.

2vasort1corppor
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby 2vasort1corppor » 09 Nov 2011, 00:25

parcaleste wrote:
2vasort1corppor wrote:... btw good morale is working, but bad morale isnt.
I've seen it several times so it is working. I would say I've never seen bad luck, though.

However, it is about damn time for a patch to fix these goddamn annoying issues.
i played inferno campaign 2 times, both with -6 morale helmet. it took me 10 hours. and i ve seen bad morale trigger only 2 times.

and yes, bad luck is bugged too. last time i ve seen bad luck was in the demo.

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 09 Nov 2011, 07:02

I guess this with the bad morale is because now most of the armies are having like +10/+20 morale and luck or so. I think this also needs some nerfing, being in artefacts or whatever.

Other thing I saw is (I think it's the Prophet's Set or the Magister's Set) which says the same numbers for 6 items like for 4 items (something like +4 Mana and +4 Magic Defense for both).

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby maltz » 14 Nov 2011, 21:39

Has the Luck bug (?) been fixed? I remember seeing some Lucky attack on a regular attack (not counterstrike) in the past weekend. :D

parcaleste
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby parcaleste » 15 Nov 2011, 06:46

I tend to believe that it works some times when combine with an hero or creature ability, but in general no, it is not fixed.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”