Single player skirmish maps are not worth playing

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 02 Nov 2011, 15:32

Well yes, and preferences differ per person. That said though, I'd be more than willing to argue that even anyone who considers even picking up a turn-based game is in general more interested in the story than people who buy racing games, SC2 or Battlefield. In that sense the box might be 'misleading' to people who don't usually play TBS but want to give one a try, but I do reckon the larger part of the audience will buy a game like Heroes with the idea that they're going to get the bang for their bucks out of the campaign.

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 02 Nov 2011, 17:41

Err.. I wasn't complaining about the mode of story-telling... but rather the overall coherence of the plot. It all felt very very rushed, IMO.

If they did it the Heroes 3/4 way, that's completely fine. Maranthea's swamp campaign was excellent and so were many others. Another important issue you did not account for is that Heroes 3 was not that heavy in the campaign and the skirmish mode was very well-done (I played Reign of Chaos and Brave New World all the time back then).

As well, Heroes 2 had a lousy campaign but it was a great game because skirmishes were fun.
Mozared wrote:
ywhtptgtfo wrote:I agree that Heroes 6's selling point is the story as one can see from the advertisements. While the concept is more original than Heroes 5's, the execution is quite bad... unfortunately. Even if one plays the campaign maps in sequence, there are a lot of wtf moments.
'Bad' depends on your benchmarks, though. I for one really enjoyed the story of Heroes 3. Heroes 6's way of storytelling is very similar to that, with added graphics and some cutscenes (however lame some of those might be). Most of Heroes 6's story is told through in-game events and conversation pop-ups, just like it was in Heroes 3. It's mostly reading.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't expect improved storytelling now that we have improved technology (since when Heroes 3 was made), but it does sometimes get a bit tiring when people complain the story of the latest Heroes games suck because of bad cutscenes when we were perfectly happy when we had to do with simple windows with text.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 02 Nov 2011, 19:40

Mozared wrote:I'd be more than willing to argue that even anyone who considers even picking up a turn-based game is in general more interested in the story than people who buy racing games, SC2 or Battlefield.
Does this include people who buy Civilization? ;)

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 02 Nov 2011, 22:00

Groovy wrote:Does this include people who buy Civilization? ;)
I suppose it does, but Civilization players are a scary, odd breed of people who for some reason voluntarily enjoy turn-based games that have no compensation for the fact that they are turn-based :D

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 03 Nov 2011, 03:01

ywhtptgtfo wrote: As well, Heroes 2 had a lousy campaign but it was a great game because skirmishes were fun.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Heroes 2's campaign and campaign structure. Then again, I think I was 14 when I played it, so perhaps my opinion was, shall we say, unrefined...

Dalai
Equilibris Team
Equilibris Team

Unread postby Dalai » 03 Nov 2011, 13:37

Tale wrote:
ywhtptgtfo wrote: As well, Heroes 2 had a lousy campaign but it was a great game because skirmishes were fun.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I actually liked Heroes 2's campaign and campaign structure. Then again, I think I was 14 when I played it, so perhaps my opinion was, shall we say, unrefined...
I'm in the same minority.
"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." Brendan Gill

ywhtptgtfo
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby ywhtptgtfo » 03 Nov 2011, 22:16

Dalai wrote:
Tale wrote:
I'm in the same minority.
It wasn't so bad based on the standards back then, but it's pretty lacking in narrative if you compare it with that of Heroes 3. I did, however, like little nifty things like Ogre Alliance or Dwarf Bane.

But even if the campaign lacked narrative, at least the maps were often well-designed and quite playable. For example, the last Roland or Archibald maps had an epic feel.

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 12 Nov 2011, 02:13

They wanted to make some cross-breed between king's bounty , Heroes and diciples and they failed misserably... kings bounty is all about a great campaign, Heroes is all about great strategy multiplayer (hot seat or not) gameplay(with some story/management) and diciples is a mix on his own, they combined parts of all games together to create a mess really...
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

cher
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Single player skirmish maps are not worth playing

Unread postby cher » 22 Jan 2012, 23:39

ywhtptgtfo wrote:I finally tried one today with aggressive A.I. turned on and hard settings. All the A.I. did was to turtle and leave around unclaimed resource piles. A few A.I. even had paralyzed heroes that don't move at all.

Somehow, the A.I. seems to have regressed since the demo, which is weird. I wouldn't recommend anyone playing single player skirmish maps until the A.I. is fixed.

Oh, and by the way, it seems that creature growth calculations are extremely buggy and that stretches beyond the special weeks. I literally saw growth numbers changing day to day when I simply click end-turn to test it.

I'd say this game is released at a much more sorry state than Heroes 5.

Wow, I must be a horrible player then because out of all the single maps I've tried, I've only beaten one of them, disagree with this statement!

Return to “Heroes V-VI”