Not really a rant but more of a question...

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Magelord
Peasant
Peasant

Not really a rant but more of a question...

Unread postby Magelord » 29 Oct 2011, 15:53

As a die-hard Warlock/Black Dragon player I have not bought the game because and I know it is a truly ridiculous reason but I just can't identify with any of the current factions. They are all full of good creature concepts but none of the factions really have that....appeal that comes with sending some venerable black wings of fiery, death, doom and destruction towards your adversary that came with my boys from all the other incarnations of Heroes (excluding the purple Barny Dragon from the first game :D ).

So...erm question right. Knowing that nothing appeals to me outright ought not turn me completely away from the franchise so I thought I would just simply ask. What faction is best for the Warlock player?

Also I have seen an animation of what appears to be the Black Dragon God Malassa. Can you play this unit? Will she join you? Epic if true and possibly enough to make me try the new Heroes game. Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 29 Oct 2011, 16:23

To tell you the truth, I can very well imagine your position. Haven is the usual bunch of do-gooders, Necropolis is the usual bunch of creepy zombies and Inferno is the usual bunch of warmongering demons. Stronghold is very remiscient of the Stronghold from H5, H4 and H3, which just doesn't feel like dungeon. Sanctuary, being relatively new, is the only thing that I'd in some way connect with dungeon.

I can't really state which is most like the dungeon gameplay wise as I don't think I'm good enough at the game to make some calls. In terms of feeling though, I'd actually have to say that Sanctuary probably gets closest? To me, 'dungeon' has always felt the most exotic of all races. They weren't per definition evil or good (unlike say, Rampant/Nature/Elves and Inferno) but had the most interesting army composition. Where most factions have 3 or 4 'base units' that are basically "unit from own faction with simple weapon", "unit from own faction that has a bow", "unit from own faction riding a mount" and "unit from own faction that casts magic or is in some other way special", I've always viewed the dungeon army as a 'collected group of interesting monsters'. Especially with Heroes 3 in mind. In H6, Sanctuary actually fits this concept fairly well, even though they have little to do with the underground area are edge more towards the 'good' side of things.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 29 Oct 2011, 17:29

:|
h5 dungeon:
elf that shoots or can cloak himself
elf that attacks and walk back
elf that rides a dinosaur
elf that shoots and casts spells
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

frozd
Big Nose
Big Nose

Unread postby frozd » 29 Oct 2011, 17:45

Sanctuary isn't anything like dungeon, really. I'm a dungeon player my self and I really miss this race, no idea why they'd move out black dragons... As for the black dragon avatar of Malassa she's the boss of the final campaign if you choose the path of blood.

Edwardas 3
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Edwardas 3 » 29 Oct 2011, 18:32

Mirez wrote::|
h5 dungeon:
Drow and Druchii
Mostly Drow ,but riding Cold ones from Druchii

http://whfm.blogspot.com/2010/08/fantas ... elves.html
Lord Godwinson in BDJ mods for MM 6 and 7

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 29 Oct 2011, 20:08

Edwardas 3 wrote:Drow and Druchii
Mostly Drow ,but riding Cold ones from Druchii

http://whfm.blogspot.com/2010/08/fantas ... elves.html
Ekhm...

http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/ ... php?t=6952

Mozared
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Mozared » 29 Oct 2011, 22:33

Mirez wrote::|
h5 dungeon:
Well, yeah - but at least that felt different because the blood furies were female. And the Shadow Witch wasn't a 'core' unit. What I'm comparing it to is for example H3 Haven, where you had the Pikeman, the Archer, the Swordsman, and the Monk. Or the H6 Inferno, where you have demon 1, demon 2, demon 3, and demon 4. At least sanctuary has naga-ish creatures into half-sharks into weird-headed frog-men into water elementals and dragons. I'd say that's a lot closer to specifically H3 dungeon which had Troglodytes, Beholders, Harpies, Minotaurs and Naga.
frozd wrote:Sanctuary isn't anything like dungeon, really.
I thought we had already established that. I'm willing to argue the point that it's definitely more like dungeon than all other H6 races, though.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 30 Oct 2011, 04:46

Well, gameplay-wise the most notable thing about Stronghold in HoMM 3 (aside from Arma-Dragon tactics) was that you didn't need to protect your shooters. The Medusa was always too dangerous to take out in melee, the Eyes had plenty of hit-points and no melee penalty, and the harpies were well.. harpies.

Looking at it this way, I'd say Stronghold plays most alike in Heroes VI. Goblins aren't really a priority target, Centaurs have manouver and plenty of hit points, and Cyclopses are Cyclopses. You pretty much always to incapacitate them instead of fighting them head-on.

Btw I share your problem in not really liking any of the factions :(
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”