I decided to get it

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

I decided to get it

Unread postby mysticc » 27 Oct 2011, 20:48

There's a lot of things that I really like about the game. I'm having some issues though that maybe someone could clear up.

1. Sometimes while playing, you can't scroll the campaign map with your mouse anymore - it just becomes disabled randomly. Anyone else have this problem?

2. There's a lot weird drawing/pop-in when starting battles. Is this common to a lot of other people? Attack a city, and you can see it render walls of the town and draw other objects on the battlefield.

3. Sometimes after reloading a quicksave, I experience graphic issues. For example, the flags for units/mines/etc. have a black square on them. Sometimes units move to different spots on the map, and then suddenly go back to their original position after a few seconds. It's like the rasterizing code is glitchy.

4. Reloading a save game does not remember where the screen was positioned. This is actually annoying.

5. Quickloading asks to "press a key". This is actually annoying and I wish they removed it. It wouldn't be so bad though if it actually worked. Sometimes I click with the mouse or press a key and nothing happens. I have to press a key a few times for it "really" load. The loading of the save game also seems to take longer.

6. I don't think I'm a fan of my hero spells/attacks not being usable before it goes to the end of turn. For example, you can't attack with your hero after all of your units have moved and before the enemy units - the game forces you to attack with your hero before your last unit acts. I'm sort of used to it now, but I would actually like the combat to be paused if my hero hasn't taken an action before the end of turn...

7. I wish the pickups on the campaign map were more obvious. I know this would affect realism, but maybe it would be nice to have a red circle or something like that around anything you can interact with. The gold is especially hard to see on the green/yellow terrain.

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 27 Oct 2011, 21:17

Hi

1,2 and 3 are bugs, let's hope they will be patched soon.
4 isn't a bug but I guess a lack of a feature.
5 there is a way to remove it, I'll get back to you on that one
6 it only takes a short while to get used to it
7 never had problems with pickups really, one time when there was an obelisk near a tree.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 27 Oct 2011, 21:48

In regards to #6, I don't think I can get used to it. Here's an example that rears it's ugly head a lot.

Example: You need to heal your units with the sisters and you're almost done the battle. Ideally, you want to maximize the number of units healed before ending the battle. There is only 1 enemy archer remaining on the field, including an enemy hero.

Now, you skip through your last couple of attacking units, trying to get your last chance to heal with your sister. You try and prevent killing the archer because you want to use the last heal spell on your sister. So, you heal your Maulers for 4, but then the only remaining unit (1 archer of all things) manages to kill 1 Mauler, and THEN the enemy hero gets to act, and he kills 2 maulers. So basically you just saved 1 Mauler by trying to use your sister's heal ability.

Now, if we could use your hero's attack AFTER the sister heals, we could kill the 1 remaining archer before the archer OR the enemy hero manages to get their attacks in. With the current system though, you can't do this.

This sort of thing happens a lot, and I've just started.

In regards to 7, just look at any blizzard game and you'll see that pickups or objects on the terrain always standout and are easily recognizable. Sometimes they use glows, or green, transparent circles. Any number of techniques could have been used here to make sure players can SEE the objects on the map. They blur too much. Even more shadows/darker outline would have worked.

As for having the game remember your location on the screen at the time of save - I would say this is a bug. It was in the previous HOMM games after all, and many other games do this.

Also, one annoying with with the sisters is that you can only use 2 times, regardless of the stack size you are healing. I guess I could split the stack, but the enemy AI tends to kill 1-2 units from every stack rather than pummel on 1 stack only. This makes it really difficult to utilize your healing abilities :(

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 27 Oct 2011, 22:30

use guardian on them if your opponent tries to kill them (usually they go after your griffins though).
I agree it's annoying you can only use heal 2 times, it's nice for smaller battles but later in the game when battles take a lot longer they are useless after they healed twice. I'd prefer if it was a 1 in 3 turns ability.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 27 Oct 2011, 23:00

I try and conserve their heal ability and just defend with them until the later stages of the battle, but the biggest problem is that sometimes you just end up healing your sisters... or too many stacks get damaged that you don't have enough castings of it to go around, despite the fact that you are only resurrecting 1-3 units per stack.

It would have been nice to have an actual mana pool. I can't figure out how to split the stack to offset this either. You could in HOMM5, but it won't let me in this game.

Some battles are really tough, I don't know how to do them without taking some kind of loss. I will play a battle 6 times sometimes just to find the optimal strategy to winning, but it's getting to the point where losing 1 mauler, 1 sister and 6 defenders is a "good" win.

Metathron
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Metathron » 27 Oct 2011, 23:26

Well, investing in spells like (mass) heal and (mass) regeneration will help.

You can split the units prior to battle, that is before you enter the battle screen, by holding the shift key and clicking on the unit you want to split.
Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Tale
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tale » 28 Oct 2011, 01:33

There is a work around for the map scrolling bug. The bug occurs when you try to scroll the map before the map is fully loaded. To not get hit by it, you just have to wait a minute when you first load the map (after you press a key to get beyond the "press a key to start" screen). At least, that has been successful to me.

In regards to saving the attack, I would suggest having the sisters and one other unit that moves *before* the sisters to wait. That way, after the opponent uses their archer and attacks, you can use heal and attack. There are times that I've been confronted with their unit going immediately before my healing unit, of course; those times you either just have to suck it up or buy the heal spell yourself (though I prefer life drain). That's part of the strategy of the battles and why initiative is so important.

mysticc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby mysticc » 28 Oct 2011, 01:34

Ahh. In the previous game, you could split on the tactics screen using the same shift-clicking method. It's strange why they won't let you do it in the tactics screen... :(

Anyway, I finished the campaign. I guess my losses were not the feared. They give you more and more troops as the mission goes on from your towns that I guess losing 1 Praetorian here and there wasn't that big of a deal when my final stack had 300+.

Still, the series has taught me to preserve every unit and try and get flawless victories. I think that's going to be a hard habit to break out of in this game if the enemies as tough as the ones they put you up against. I mean, there's a lot of tough enemies they give you in the 2nd tutorial mission.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game. I haven't seen those bugs in awhile now that I shut down and restarted the game. The cutscenes, art design and atmosphere of the game is a lot more sophisticated than HOMM5. The dialog is actually interesting and the voice acting and cinematics are all better.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”